My Fair Lady

Chapter 20

"You look like such a dork." Frankito said as they drove to the florists on a Saturday morning. Frankito was holding the weekly paper which featured Jakob in the sports section signing a contract to play soccer at Oakland Community College.

"Thanks dick. And it only took them a month to print that." Jakob took the paper away and threw it on the backseat. "Mother fucker," Jakob growled as someone pulled out in front of him. He jabbed his horn irritably. "I hate dumbasses."

"Hey, don't hate me because you ain't me." Frankito snapped as he lifted his nose in the air. "I happen to enjoy the fine art of dumbassing and you should appreciate it. Especially when you bask in the glory of the dumbass god "

"Oh, well begging your pardon oh, mighty one." Jakob gibbed as he parked and they walked into the florists. "Hey," He said to the young worker behind the desk. "We're here to pick up some corsages." After giving her the information and paying, she went into the back to retrieve them.

"Okay Mr. Armstrong, you have a roses and daisies corsage with gold ribbon and Mr. Wright you have a lily arrangement with pink ribbon." She handed them each a clear box with the flowers in them. "And be sure to put those into the fridge until time to go. Have a nice day."

Both boys said thanks over their shoulders as they walked out to the car. "So, what exactly are we doing tonight after prom?" Jakob asked as he started up the engine.

"Well, me and Lauren thought about getting the cliche hotel room and just living it up like rockstars and sexing it up like prostitutes. You and Chloe should do that with us." Frankito tapped a cadence on the top of Lauren's corsage box.

"All right, but I go no higher than a three way."

"Prude."

Jakob stuck his tongue out at Frankito and laughed as they drove the rest of the way to their neighborhood in compatible silence.

------------*-----------

"How do I look? Do I look good?" Jakob picked up baby Sterling and kissed her downy head that was all ready covered in brown locks. "You look good too, by the way. You take after your uncle." He carried Sterling on his hip as he came down the stairs and Frankito slid on the banister next to him.

"Are the girls done yet?" Frankito asked as he jumped on top of Billie Joe, who had been sitting on the couch.

"Ow!" Billie Joe shoved Frankito off of him. "No. Amy's finishing up their makeup, weird ass. No, no, get off of me " Billie Joe cringed and tried to pry Frankito off of him, who had launched into an enormous hug attack on Billie Joe. "Tre'! Get your son!"

"Frankito, save it for Lauren." Tre' casually came out of the kitchen with a beer and sat down in an empty chair.

Frankito let go of Billie Joe and filled his lungs with air. "Lauren! Chloe! Hurry up!"

"God Frankito, chill out." The girls came into the room, the clicks of their heels announcing their arrival. Lauren pursed her well glossed lips at her boyfriend and shook her head. All Frankito could do in response was grin cheekily back.

"Wow." Jakob breathed in the sight of Chloe. That was all he could say. He took in her silky gold dress with it's draped rhinestone belt and glittery high side slit that showed off those legs he loved so much. Her nails, hair and makeup were expertly done, but was just as beautiful as the day he saw her with chipped pink nail polish and thinner layers of makeup.

He took her hand and his grin widened. "You look so beautiful."

Chloe actually blushed and looked down. "Thanks." She met his brown eyes. "You look rather dashing yourself." She ran her hand down the lapel of his tux. She didn't say anything, but looked at him and smiled a small smile that he returned.

Ignoring his mother's requests for pictures and Frankito's obnoxious comments, Jakob stroked the side of Chloe's cheek with his thumb. "Tonight is going to be very special. I promise."

------------*------------

"I have got to sit down! These heels are killing me!" Chloe fanned herself as she led Jakob off of the dance floor to their table. They had been at the prom, which was held at the Oakland Country Club, for almost three hours and had been dancing for a solid two.

Chloe and Jakob collapsed into their chairs and Jakob pulled Chloe's tired feet into his lap and took her shoes off for her.

"Having fun?"

Chloe nodded brightly. "Yeah. It's hot though." She fanned herself some more as Lauren and Frankito sat down with them.

"Oh my God! My feet are killing me." Lauren yanked off her heels and threw them on the table.

"Then why do you wear heels?" Jakob looked between Lauren and Chloe for the answer.

"To make us pretty and sexy." Chloe responded as she sat up and put her feet on the floor just as Katrina came walking up to their table.

She leaned down and let her breath tickle Jakob's ear erotically. "Want to dance Jakob?" She leaned back and the two strips of fabric running parallel down her chest were taunt.

Jakob barely gave her a second glance. "No. Come on." He took Chloe by the hand and led her barefoot out on the dance floor.

"You could of danced with her if you wanted to." Chloe yelled into his ear as the music was thumping loudly around them.

"But I didn't. I don't want to be around her. I just want you." Jakob kissed Chloe as the song began to wind down and the senior sponsors took the stage.

"Okay everyone, it's the time you have all been waiting for; Hillcrest Academy's Prom King and Queen!"

"Oh goody." Jakob muttered under his breath sarcastically but nobody heard him. "Wonder who it'll be." Everybody had come up to him and told him that they had voted him for Prom King. Jakob didn't understand why, he didn't ask for it.

"The prom king is. . . .Jakob Armstrong!"

Everybody clapped and Chloe cheered and all the Varsity jocks hooped and hollered for their leader as he accepted the red velour and faux jewel concoction. Jakob grinned a half grin and nodded his head in appreciation. He just hoped the Prom Queen wouldn't be who he thought it was going to be.

"And the Prom Queen is. . . .Katrina. . ."

Jakob didn't even have to hear her last name. His noose was tightened and hung with the first. He pretended to look cordial and clap politely when she came up to accept her tiara and moved towards him so they could dance.

"You've been ignoring me." Katrina said as they swayed back and forth to the slow music.

"No, I haven't." Jakob said as his eyes scanned around for Chloe, who was sitting at the table with Frankito and Lauren.

"Yes you have. You were afraid I was going to say something she wouldn't like to hear."

Knowing that the 'she' Katrina was referring to was Chloe, Jakob tensed up and pursed his lips, he knew Katrina well enough to know where she was going with the conversation. "Don't you dare."

Katrina laughed deeply in her throat. "Who said it was going to be me? There's no such thing as a secret Jakob. At least three people always know. The two who did it and another soul who just so happened to hear it from one of the people by accident." She flashed her white teeth. "Don't be such a pussy Jakob, you can do better."

Jakob looked up again to find that the table was empty and Chloe's shoes were gone from their previous perch in the chair. He looked back down at Katrina and shoved her away. Everybody gasped as she stumbled over her heels and tumbled onto the floor. "Bitch."

Ignoring the questions and the statements, Jakob ran out the country club doors into the evening air. "Chloe!" He looked around frantically at the empty parking lot. "Chloe?"

Hearing talking and sniffling around the corner, Jakob headed in that direction to see Chloe with her head buried in Lauren's shoulder, crying heavily. Frankito was standing behind them looking unsure of what to do.

"Chloe." Jakob said softly as he placed his hand on her back.

Chloe violently jerked his hand away and turned around. "Don't touch me!" Her makeup was ruined and running down her face mixed with her tears. "How could you? How could you!" She slapped him hard on the face.

"Chloe," Jakob tired again but Chloe just pushed him away with more strength than he ever expected out of her. "Baby, I didn't. . . ."

"Yes you did." Chloe said around her sobs. Lauren and Frankito stood to the side forgotten by the couple. "You slept with her at the dance. The dance I didn't go to but I insisted that you go because I knew you wanted to go and have fun with your friends. I didn't care. I trusted you. I trusted you." She repeated in a hoarse whisper. She sniffed and wiped her cheeks only to succeed in smearing the makeup more. "I loved you and you went and did that to me with your ex-girlfriend "

"I was drunk I thought she was you!" Jakob's temper was at a breaking point and he was tired of the rumors and not being able to defend himself.

Chloe scoffed. "And yet you screamed Katrina still. Did you not know that people heard you? People knew? And they carried this secret for this long thinking that you would eventually hang your own noose on it. Why did you lie to me Jakob? Why?" Chloe's phrases were becoming difficult to understand around her tears and sobs as she crumbed right before their eyes. "How could you hurt me this bad?"

Jakob shook his head, his eyes filling with the tears of his mistake and losses. "Chloe, I love you so. . ."

"No you don't!" Chloe threw her shoes at him and Jakob had to lift his arms to protect his face from the stilettos coming towards him. "If you loved me, you would have kept your damn dick in your pants!" She turned and began to walk unstably to the car.

Lauren brushed past the guys and ran behind her. "I'm going with her." She muttered to Frankito as she put on her shoes as she went.

Jakob started to follow her as well but Lauren put a hand in front of him. "No Jakob. You don't need to follow her right now. Leave her alone."

"But Lauren,"

"No." Lauren's normally mellow tone was cool. "You dug your grave now you lie in it."