My Fair Lady

Chapter 23

"Jakob, will you please take this to the business office for me?" Lindsey asked sweetly as she finished up some newspaper stuff on the computer while her boyfriend was texting on his phone next to her.

Jakob quickly finished up a text. "Sure. I'll be right back." He pecked her lips and went to do her bidding.

Lindsey sat in the room where the only noise was the rap of her keys or click of her mouse. Lindsey smiled at the fact that she and Jakob were getting alone so well in their relationship. It was almost Christmas time and today was the last day of first semester classes for the college. Lindsey had a special Christmas gift for Jakob, but he would have to be a good boy and wait for it.

The silence in the room remained until Jakob's phone went off. It wasn't a ring tone that Lindsey recognized. It wasn't Lauren or Frankito's, both of whom who did not like Lindsey as Jakob's girlfriend, his family or any of his other friends. It was a romantic soul ballad and she knew she hadn't texted or called him.

Lindsey closed the partially open door and picked his phone up. Across the screen flashed the video of a girl blowing a kiss and the name 'Chloe' blinked on the bottom. Lindsey quickly rejected the call and erased the voicemail and evidence that she had called.

"You are not going to get him back." Lindsey snarled as she placed the phone back down at its original spot. "He's mine, now and forever and you better stop calling. I'm getting tired of constantly erasing your stuff." She glared at the phone and continued to type until Jakob came back.

"Any messages or anything?" He asked her as he picked up his phone and looked at it.

"No."

Jakob frowned at his phone. "Oh well. Anyways, Frankito just got out of rehearsal so I gotta go since I'm riding with him." He kissed Lindsey's cheek. "I'll call you later."

"Okay." Lindsey replied. "I love you."

Jakob simply waved and hurried to Frankito's car. "Let's go."

"What? Didn't want to stay and play kissy face with Lindsey-poo?" Frankito made sick air kisses towards Jakob.

"Suck my dick bitch. Drive." Jakob replied as he texted on his phone.

Frankito seemed drawn back. "I don't think Lauren would like that very much. She's a very jealous kind of person. Maybe later." He noticed that Jakob wasn't paying any attention to him. "Hey." He shoved Jakob a little bit. "I'm making a pass at you and you're not even listening. Who the hell are you talking to over there that you won't pay attention to me?"

"Chloe."

"Oh... Wait... Chloe? When did this happen? Are you guys back together?" Frankito was watching Jakob instead of the road.

"What out for that mailbox! No, we're not. We're just talking in general." Jakob sighed and shut his phone. "I don't think she's looking for that right now and I got Lindsey so..." He trailed off.

"Does Chloe know about Lindsey?"

Jakob shook his head. "No and don't open your mouth about it either."

Frankito put a hand up in surrender. "I haven't told her yet and we talk all the time. She doesn't even ask."

"That's what worries me." Jakob confessed softly. "I want to see her."

"So go see her."

"But what if she doesn't want to see me?" Jakob bit his lip and stared out the window.

"She's talking to you isn't she? That's a good start."

Jakob sighed again. "Yeah, but I want to see her, see her. Not just pretend that I've moved on and I don't miss her and that we can just be platonic friends. I want her back."

Frankito turned the radio off. "Then go get her."

"It's not that easy.

"Yes it is." Frankito insisted. "You miss her. You want her back and she feels the same way. She's just really hurt and confused but this time apart from you has let her see just how much she cares about you."

Jakob scoffed. "And you know that how? You just said she doesn't ask about me."

"No, I didn't." Frankito parked the car in front of the guest house behind his house and got out. "I said she didn't ask if you had a new girlfriend, but she asks about you all the time."

"Really?" Jakob leaned on the house as Frankito unlocked the door.

"Yeah. She's always asking how you are, what you're doing, if you're happy, and blah, blah, blah." Frankito plopped down on the couch.

Jakob's heart stopped and then quickened. "Really?" He swallowed hard. "So she still cares about me?"

Frankito nodded. "Yeah man, she does. She cares about you a lot and she misses you more." He let the silence fall between them. "Go to her."

Jakob sat down hard on one of the chairs. "I,.. I.. I can't. I just go to New York and walk up to Broadway and hope that she'll see me. I... What if she doesn't? What if she says she never wants to see me again? What if she hates me?"

"Well at least then you'll know." Frankito leaned on his knees and watched his friend.

Jakob got up and began pacing. "An.. And besides, how would I get there? I don't exactly have access to those kind of funds right now."

Frankito smirked. "Don't you just so happen to have your daddy's credit card that he wanted you to pick something up for your mom for him for Christmas?"

Jakob stopped pacing. "Yeah."

Frankito pressed his point. "And do you really think he'll be mad if you went to go see his precious musical protégée Chloe?"

"No," Jakob said slowly. "Not that mad."

"And," Frankito continued, standing up. "You're all ready packed. You have a bag of clothes and stuff in my car and I will take you to the airport myself."

"Yeah," Jakob nodded slowly as if he were in a trance. "But, what if..."

"No buts." Frankito said firmly as he grabbed Jakob by the arms. "These things don't just happen Jakob."

Jakob nodded again. "You're right. I'm going."