My Fair Lady

Chapter 27

Jakob ran his hand through his hair.

Today was the day.

Today was the day that had been looming over him for months. Everything had to be perfect. Nothing could go wrong and he prayed to God that everything would go smoothly.

He began to wring his hands together and bob up and down in place with nerves. Frankito tried to calm him down but all he succeeded in was aggravating Jakob even more. Jakob's heart was beating out of time and the creature comforts of the room did nothing to sooth his jitters.

"Oh God, what if something goes wrong?" He mused out loud to anyone who would listen. "I hope she's okay. I want to see her," He sat down hard on the well cushioned chair. "I feel like I'm going to die."

"Jake?"

Jakob looked up to find his mother standing before him pretty in her red dress and her lovely mother of the groom corsage pinned to it perfectly. "You okay honey?"

Jakob, who was a fine shade of green, shook his head in honesty.

"Okay boys, out. Out," She clapped her hands and Jakob's groomsmen all left the room, leaving just Adrienne and Jakob. "What's wrong? You're getting married today baby, you should be happy."

"I am," Jakob nodded honestly. "I'm just...I just can't wait to see her. I want to get this over with. I want to start our lives together," He laughed nervously.

Adrienne smiled and smoothed out the lapel on Jakob's tux. "You are so much like your father."

"What? No I'm not."

"Yes you are," Adrienne insisted. "You are both passionate hot-headed assholes who love and fight hard."

"Thanks Mom," Jakob replied sarcastically as he took a sip of water from the glass on the table by the chair.

Adrienne chuckled. "You and Chloe are going to have a wonderful life together, with plenty of ups and downs, because you remind me so much of me and your dad it's not even funny. Chloe's the flighty musician with big dreams and more talent than should be allowed and you're like me in that sense, willing to risk everything for them," She kissed his cheek. "I can't believe you're twenty-eight and getting married, and a sports medicine doctor with his own practice to boot."

Jakob didn't say anything but let his Mother hug him. "Have you seen her?"

Adrienne nodded. "She's gorgeous and anxious to see you."

The door opened and closed again and a small body catapulted itself onto Jakob.

Jakob leaned down and hugged the tiny person. "Well, hello my darling. Don't you look pretty," Jakob kissed the little girl, whose name was Maggie, on the cheek and she giggled sweetly.

"Thank you Daddy," Maggie said shyly as she grinned with her brown eyes, very similar to her father's, shining brightly.

"You about ready Jakob?" Billie Joe stepped up to them, looking rather nice in his tux. He nodded to Maggie. "I managed to steal her away from Lindsey for a moment, by the way. Skank," He added under his breath.

"Dad, no drama today," Jakob warned him lightly.

"I know, I know," Billie Joe hung his head dramatically. "I got a message for you from your soon to be Mrs. Armstrong."

"Yeah, and..." Jakob was practically on the edge of his seat.

Billie Joe took a deep breath. "She said..."

"She said that she loved you and she couldn't wait for the 'I do's' to be finished!" Maggie shrieked in excitement, cutting her grandfather off. "Sorry Grandpa."

Billie Joe, who had playfully pursed his lips, nodded. "Yeah, uh huh, sure. Love ya bug."

"Love you too," Maggie hugged Billie Joe's legs.

"It's about that time," Adrienne said after looking at the clock. "Ready?"

Jakob nodded and went with his parents and daughter down to the chapel where sweet music was all ready coming from it. He took his place by his father, who was his best man, and the priest, while they watched the bridesmaids come down the aisle one by one escorted by one of his groomsmen.

Once Maggie had finished throwing the pink rose petals on the white carpet walkway, Jakob's heart quickened and his mouth became dry.

The back doors opened dramatically and there was his fair lady.