Cancer

Cancer

Frank's Point Of View

I looked at the crowd in awe.

There was so many of them. So many beautiful, faithful faces. I drank in the incredible view for the last time that night.

Gerard looked at me and smiled, signaling for Bob, Mikey and I to go offstage.

"Okay guys! You've been absolutely amazing tonight! We really do have to go after this one I'm afraid!"

As I walked offstage, I subtly brushed my hand against Gerard's. I got to the side of the stage, just out of view of the crowd and blew him a kiss, telling him to be strong. He winked back at me before introducing the song.

"This is a very special song for us. It's called Cancer!"

The crowd roared with enthusiasm.

Ray strummed the first few chords of the song, which sent the crowd into a suspense filled hush.

Turn away
If you could get me a drink
Of water `cause my lips are chapped and faded
Call my Aunt Marie


His voice left me with goose bumps, he was that good.

I got out my cell phone and switched it on, checking for messages (something that we always did after every show). I looked up and saw Mikey and Bob doing the same causing me to giggle slightly.

"Noooooo!!!!" Mikey cawed at the top of his lungs.

"Mikey, what the fuck?" Bob yelled.

Mikey threw his cell phone onto the floor and then followed it closely. He broke down into tears, sobbing in convulsive fits.

I ran over to Mikey and picked up his phone whilst Bob knelt beside Mikey in an attempt to comfort him.

And bury me in all my favorite colors
My sisters and my brothers still
I will not kiss you
`Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you


I read the text from Mikey father out loud, stopping half way through when I realized what had happened.

"Mikey, she's dead. Your beautiful mother is dead. The cancer took -"

I stopped reading it.

"Oh God, F-frank, she's d-dead. I'll n-never s-see her ag-again!" Mikey howled.

"Mikey it will be okay!" Bob whispered.

"N-no it w-won't! Oh G-god! S-she's never c-coming h-home! Fuck, I've g-got to tell G-gerard!"

"No, you can't, not now!" I yelled.

Now turn away
`Cause I'm awful just to see
`Cause all my hairs abandoned all my body
Oh my agony


Despite mine and Bob's attempt to hold him down, he managed to break free and run onto the stage.

Gerard turned to Mikey, looking confused and indicated for Ray to cover him with a solo.

Mikey practically jumped into Gerard's arms, and whispered,

"Mom is dead."

Those three words echoed through the microphone.

Ray stopped playing and turned around in shock.

I ran onto the stage and Gerard threw himself at me, bursting into uncontrollable tears.

Mikey was clinging to Bob who dragged him off the stage.

"Gee, baby, please don't cry. You'll be fine. We'll make it through this, honey, I promise. Shh," I comforted, running my fingers through his hair. I kissed his cheek and rocked him slightly.

The fans were all too shocked to speak, they just hugged the nearest person, stranger or not, with hot tears pouring down their cheeks. Some of the crowd collapsed to the floor, feeling the emotions of their idols. Some of them started to scream out their condolences.

We had such amazing fans.

I beckoned Ray over.

"Could you take Gee, please?"

"What? Where?"

"Damn it Toro, just take him!"

I knew what I had to do.

I had never been so nervous in my life. Now that I was alone on stage everything seemed bigger. I had so little confidence when I was on my own. All eyes were on me. Even the guards had turned around to watch now.

I grabbed Pansy and walked to the front of the stage, to the microphone.

I strummed the first few chords shakily then began.

Know that I will never marry
Baby I'm just soggy from the chemo
But counting down the days to go
It just ain't living
And I just hope you know


The fans were swaying their arms in the air, too upset to be able to sing along but showing support nevertheless.

A tear spilled down my cheek.

That if you say
Goodbye today
I'd ask you to be true


I was swaying on my heels, attempting to stop myself from crying. I had to finish this song, I couldn't give up now.

`Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you
`Cause the hardest part of this
Is leaving you


I bowed my head slightly, to let them acknowledge my respect for them. They cheered hoarsely as I finished the song.

Tears began pouring down my face the minute I stopped singing.

"Long live Mrs Way," I managed to choke out before running offstage.

I heard a chant break out in the crowd.

I ran over to Gerard and held him as we sobbed into each others shoulders, listening to the sounds of our loyal fans.

"Long live Mrs Way! Long live Mrs Way!"

"Frank, I love you so much! Thank you!" Gerard said, still crying freely.

Mikey ran over to me and tackled Gerard and I into a hug, initiating a group hug.

"I'm so proud of you," Gerard whispered to me.

"Thank you, Frank," Mikey sobbed.

"We'll get you through this, I promise," I cried.