I Don't Wanna Be in Love

Chapter Twelve

The minutes passed into an hour as Matt and Ember sat up on the couch getting to know each other better. They sat there recalling past relationships, how Ember got her start in California, best concerts growing up and other little ramble things that led one conversation to another…

”Oh hang on, it’s Jacoby,” Ember murmurs after her phone vibrates in her pocket, cutting Matt’s sentence short. “Hello?” She whispers into the phone.

“Hey, where are you? Your car’s in the drive-“

“I’m hanging with a friend, I totally forgot about my car…”

“I was just checking in to make sure you were fine, when ‘you coming home?”

“Umm…shit what time is it?” She nods at the watch clinging to Matt’s wrist; he quickly flips it over so she can read it. “I’ll be home after work; I’ve got the later shift, kay?”

“Well I have to go in tonight with-“

“Alright, well I’ll see you later tonight then.”

“Okay, bye. I love you.” He says as he takes notice she’s quick to hang up.

“Love you too, bye.” Her thumb presses the button automatically and she shoves her phone back into her pocket. “Sorry, as you were saying.” Ember says, giving her full attention back to Matt, sliding a piece of chin length bang behind her ear.


“Okay, I’ll talk to you later, thanks for the ride.”

“Of course, I mean I did take you to my place, left you without your car. What was I suppose to do, make you walk?”

“You could have,” Ember says biting slightly on her lower lip. It’s just so tempting to lean over and kiss him just once. At least once…

“See you tomorrow?”

“Yeah…I’ll call you after I sort everything out…” She’s stalling and it’s onlyhurting the two of them.

“Okay, well have a nice time at work…”

“’Kay,” Ember replies nodding while her hand pulls down on the door handle without her eyes watching over it. “…Oh what the hell…” She mumbles under her breath then leans over quickly and places her lips against Matt’s ever so lightly. “Bye.” Her word touches against his lips right before she pulls away and gets out of the car.

The slam of the door wakes Matt from the kiss and he quickly waves goodbye just before Ember turns around to open the door of her car. Matt flicks on the radio before pulling out of the driveway and heading home.

Ember continuously touches her bottom lip with her tongue and teeth, as if it’s going to get up off her face and walk somewhere else. “Gosh…” She says out loud as she’s driving on the road to work. “I hope this is the right thing…” She whispers, catching her eyes in the mirror and looking at her full deep pink lips.

On the ride to work Ember continued talking to herself, saying the same thing over and over again just in different words. Her mind kept playing the moments she spent with Matt and the more she thought about him the larger her smile grew.

“Hey lady, you’re cutting it close.”

“Yeah, yeah I know! I’m sorry, I got tied up.” Ember walks in the studio still grinning.

“With Jacoby?” And when she takes not even a minute to think about her answer her co worker, Jade immediately catches on. “Oh, it’s that Matt guy!” He exclaims, throwing a hand dramatically in the air. Ember mouths what before the word actually comes out and Jade replies with “Mick told everyone.”

“Of course he did.”

“So I take it things are going well with you and this Matt?”

“Yes they are, if you must know.”

“Yes I must, I can’t have an unhappy co worker. Now sit you’re pretty little ass down so we can continue the show.”

“Hey! Ya’ know I didn’t have to fill in for Charisma.”

“No, but you did so now you get to put up with me.”

“Oh what was I thinking?” She says with an eye roll as she takes her seat and pulls on her headset.

The rest of the night is like any afternoon at the station, only with a few more interesting people calling in. A couple tipsy people called in, a couple people called in so the radio could hear their tipsy friends and those who have nothing better to do then request music, called in.

“Hello?” Ember calls through the house after flicking on the living room overhead light. Not a sound, so she moves to the kitchen after kicking off her shoes and makes a quick cheese and turkey sandwich.

“So how am I going to do this?” She says out loud on the couch, squeezing a water bottle in her hand. Ember sighs and continues making the crinkle noises with the bottle, other then that the house is silent. It’s two in the morning and Jacoby hasn’t gotten home nor has he called or texted, not that she was expecting him to.

Her mind has rushed through different scenarios all night while at work and all of them are good but that’s how she wants it to go, it’s not going to go that way; that she can feel. So maybe she shouldn’t do it? Then she’d have to tell Matt no and she doesn’t want to do that either.

Matt expects tomorrow Ember will be single and up to being his girlfriend. Jacoby has no idea the things Ember has been thinking or what she’s planning on. Ember is all over the place and she’s the only one that can choose for herself, between Matt and Jacoby.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this update didn't take as long as the last =) Thank you guys for reading!! A new update will be up soon, I know what's going to go on. Haha.