I Don't Wanna Be in Love

Chapter Two

"I'll pick him up in the morning, doubt he'll even know I've gone." She says to herself as she walks out of the large wooden gate. The sound of her shoes crunching on the dry gravel thumps against her ears, fighting to dominate over the music that is in backyard some ways back.

"Leaving so soon?" A smooth voice disrupts the beats of her steps.

Ember whisks around to see a tall, muscular tattooed man. Her eyes assemble up to his eyes like day old rain water into a cloud. Mist swirls around in her head and slightly disorients her for a couple of seconds.

"Parties aren't my scene." Ember says to the stranger, once the grey mist disappears and she feels she can talk without stumbling. She succeeds; her voice came out calm and sweet.

"Someone drag you along promising you a good time?" He says with a dazzling smile.
Ember has the feeling she's seen this guy before; she's seen that smile somewhere but just can't place it.

"Something like that." She says with a small smile of her own. Her thumbs trace little swirls in her jean pockets.

"So beautiful what's you're name?"

"Ember and you're name is?"

"Names Matt." He takes her small hand into his and lightly kisses the top of it; not breaking the eye contact he has with her.

"Nice to meet you Matt." Ember whispers out as his lips touch her hand. She fights to hide a blush, a wave of heat floats up from her feet. At times like these she wishes her skin wasn't so light.

"So who dragged you along a wild girlfriend?" A subconscious cue has them walking down the rest of the walkway together.

"Ah no, a wild boyfriend by the name of Jacoby Shaddix." Ember laughs uneasily, not sure whether of she should have said that. As she debates that over in her head Matt thinks back for a minute. He did run into Shaddix earlier and he was talking about a girl. Now two things could come from him telling her that Shaddix was talking about her; she'd be happy that he was bragging about her like she was the most beautiful thing ever or pissed because he talked about how good she was in bed.

"Matt? Embers voice reaches his ears and snaps him out of that little thought bubble.

"Sorry, I spaced out."

"It's alright you just had this funny look on your face." She tries to hide a little giggle and Matt sarcastically scoffs which halfway through turned into a light laugh.

"I admire your ink work."

"Thank you. Tattoo artist?"

"Oh no, enthusiast I'm just a radio personality." Ember laughs, taking her hands out of her pockets and crossing them over her chest as they reach the end of the walkway.

"I can see why, or rather hear; you have a lovely voice." He did it again, made this little huff of warm air travel up from her feet.

"Well what to you do?"

"Musician." She nods, he doesn't know it but she's figured out who he is.

"Can you guess where?" Matt asks.

"Could you sing me something? It wouldn't be cheating." A playful pout paints itself on her face and Matt has to deeply resist the urge to lean down and claim her lips.

"Something old or something new?"

"Something old." Matt shifts around on the balls of his feet making her wait.

"Cry alone I've gone away~
No more nights, no more pain~
I've gone alone, took all my strength~
I've made the change~
I won't see you tonight~
"