Enigma

Single Rose

I sat on the edge of the hospital bed and swung my legs gently. Mum should be here soon. I glanced at the clock out on the hall and sighed. She should have been here fifteen minutes ago.

Well, I can’t really complain. It is my last day here for a little while. That was something to be happy about. And I would be able to talk to Strider tonight. The mere thought of talking to him again made me smile.

David. The little voice inside my head jingled and prodded me. Shouldn’t I be more excited about speaking to him than I was about speaking to Strider? I swung my legs harder and chewed on my lip. Well, I had been talking to Strider for longer than I had to David. But then, I actually knew who David is. And he knows who I really am.

Mum walked in at that moment and smiled broadly at me. “Surprise sweetie!” she spun around and gestured grandly toward the door she had just walked through. David walked through holding a single red rose in his hand.

He walked up to me and smiled. “I thought that a bunch would be a bit much. Besides, one by itself it so much better,” he stooped to my level and gave me a short sweet kiss. I closed my eyes and pushed the thoughts of Strider from my mind. It would not be fair to be thinking of him whilst David was here.

I took the rose from him and held it to my nose. It smelt lovely and I closed my eyes again as I breathed in the scent. When I opened them, Mum was standing by the door with my bag in her hand. David held out his hand and I placed mine in his. He smiled at me again as we walked from the hospital.

“Enjoy yourself?” he asked, with a sideways glance at me. There was a slight smirk upon his lips but his forehead was creased.

There. That was the reason that I should not think about Strider all the time. That was the reason that I should think about David. He knows me. He knows things about me without me having to even tell him. He knows because he has been through it too. He has to live with this as well. He is my cold-blooded friend in a world of warm-bloods.

“Totally,” I smirked back at him, hiding my thoughts inside.

So why couldn’t I stop thinking about Strider? Why did I go to bed every night wishing that he would come to Ireland, just to see me? Why did I want to know what his voice sounded like? And to know how it felt to have him hug me?

Those I cannot answer. So it might be best if I let them be. At least until David had gone home. Until he goes home, I will think about him and only him.

I bit the inside of my cheek and glanced at him. He sat beside me in the back of my Mum’s car, looking out the window. His hands rested gently on his lap. I reached out and took one in my own. He turned and smiled down at me. That smile was so sweet and caring. I smiled back and leant my head against his shoulder.