A True Friend Stabs You in the Front

Something I Call Personality

The boys had played three more songs for me and each song they played, I couldn't be more astonished. They were truly amazing. Their lyrics had so much meaning and the guitar riffs were extremely catchy.
One thing I had my eye on though, or person, that is, was Frank. I couldn't help but wonder why this kid was so mysterious. Not that he simply had to tell me everything about his life but why would he keep the fun little fact of being in a rock band from me? Frank wasn't a boy of many words, that was clearly obvious. I had never met anyone so intriguing before. Back in Seattle, most of my friends were boys and they were all loud and obnoxious, but they were still my best friends.
Frank was the only boy who made me think. That was my only explanation.
"Thank you, Jersey!" Gerard yelled into his microphone, banging his head up and down; his black hair running wildly across his pale sweaty face.
I laughed, and began clapping.
Gerard grinned at me and took a bow in a gentlemanly manner. "Thank you, love," He said in an british accent.
Frank snorted and removed the guitar strap from his neck, placing the Gibson Les Paul against the wall. "I'm going out for a smoke," He announced in a monotonous voice, and pushed his black hood over his head. He made his way towards the stairs and walked up, not looking back at any of us.
I watched as he left, shaking my head. That kid is just asking for cancer.
Though I had been paying a little too much attention to Frank, I didn't even notice Gerard sitting next to me on the couch; his eyes scanning my face wonderingly.
I gave him a weird look. "Lose something?"
He laughed. "Nope."
I smiled crookedly, leaning my back against the couch. Gerard mimicked my actions.
"Can I ask you something?" He asked, staring up absently at the ceiling.
"You just did," I replied with a laugh.
He rolled his eyes.
"Yeah, Gerard. Ask me anything," I said with another laugh.
"Who's your favorite in Doom Patrol?" He questioned, now making eye contact with me.
"Oh, that's easy. Elasti-Girl," I replied with a smile. "Yours?"
He grinned. "Beast Boy," He said. "Although I would have to say that my second favorite is Negative Man. Sometimes I wish I were exposed to a radioactive field." He laughed.
"Yeah, but Negative Man was accidentally exposed to a radioactive field. Besides, his superpower is more of an infection," I stated matter-of-factly. "I do like his other powers, though. Like flying at high speed, passing through walls and exploding stuff. It's just awesome."
He paused; his mouth gaped open.
I arched an eyebrow and looked at him strangely. "What?"
"I've just never met a girl who knows so much about Doom Patrol," He mused. "It's fantastically odd."
I chuckled. "Gerard, I don't know if you've noticed, but I am an odd girl."
He smirked. "I know. But you're like a whole different kind of odd."
I crossed my arms and gave him a funny look. "Do explain."
He laughed. "I dunno. You're like an undercover superhero or something."
I suddenly gasped mockingly, making him jump a little in his seat. "Oh my God! My secret's out!" I cried.
He threw his head back and laughed.
"What are you talking about?" He said.
"I don't know how, Gerard. But you managed to unveil my secret. I am a superhero," I said in low voice.
He quirked a brow. "Stop playin', Sam."
"I'm not," I said, continuing on with my charade. "At night, I dress up as a big butterfly and I fight crime."
This made all the guys laugh.
"What are you, then. Butterfly Girl?" Mikey asked, now joining the conversation, as he sat cross-legged on the floor.
"I prefer Blazing Butterfly. It sounds cooler," I stated.
Bob snorted in laughter. "Blazing Butterfly?"
"Shh!" I hissed. "My enemies are everywhere."
Ray laughed. "Can I be your sidekick?"
I looked at him thoughtfully and gave him a smirk. "Sure."
He clapped his hands excitedly. "I'll be Blazing Butterfly's trusty sidekick. Afro Boy," He said in a deep voice, putting his hands on his sides, and looking at everyone with his chin up. Her reminded me of one of those superheros you see in the comics. His hair really played up to the part.
"That's not fair. I want to be part of this justice league, too!" Mikey whined.
I laughed. "Okay. Who do you wanna be?"
Mikey put a hand on his chin, in thought. "Hmm.."
"I know! Brainy!" Gerard suggested, clapping his hands.
"It does suit you," I told Mikey, who just shrugged.
"Sounds gay," He said with a laugh.
"It sounds intelectual," Gerard corrected. "You could be like, the whole mastermind of the operation, you know?"
Mikey lifted an eyebrow, pushing his glasses up. "What?"
"Yeah, there's always the very intelligent one in the league. You could be him," Gerard said, which made Mikey grin.
I laughed at Mikey's face. "So it's settled. You're Brainy."
"I guess I am."
"And I'm The Vamp," Gerard said suddenly.
We all laughed. "Good choice for a name," Bob said with a snort.
"Together we shall save lives of thousands and be adored," Gerard said in a low high voice.
He held his hand up to me and I slapped it, giving him a high five.
We continued talking about other pointless things, until Frank walked back down to the basement. His face was blank. Not that he ever gave off an enthusiastic expression, anyway.
"Yo, Frank. Check this out. We're a justice league," Mikey said with a grin.
He furrowed an eyebrow, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "What?"
"Superheros, Frank," Gerard said.
Frank just stared at them for a moment before shaking his head. "I'm in a band with a bunch of nerds."
"But we're the coolest nerds in the world!" Ray said defensively.
"And we're sexy. So that's a bonus right there." Mikey winked.
Frank sighed.
I looked at him. He looked bored, yet he didn't seem to want to leave. If only I knew what was going on in his head right now.
My eyes were so unintentionally fixed on him, that I didn't even notice him staring at me. He suddenly coughed awkwardly and that was my cue to wake up from my stupid trance and look away.
"Um," I began saying, clearing my throat. Frank's attention was on me. "I should get going. My parents are probably wondering where the hell I am."
Gerard's face dropped, as did Ray's, Mikey's and Bob's. Frank didn't have at least one flicker of emotion on his dead face.
I didn't know why, but he seemed like a different person here. Sure, he was weird at the pyschology center, but at least we talked. Here, it was like he didn't know me. It was like he was meeting me for the first time in his life.
That bothered me tremendously.
"No," Gerard whined, grabbing my arm. "Stay. You're fun."
I laughed quietly. "I'll come back another time, okay? That is, if you want me to."
"Of course we do!" Mikey squeaked, making a face.
I smiled. "Okay, then. And hey, you guys can stop by anytime."
"Oh, we will," Gerard said with a smile. "Tomorrow okay?"
"Sure."
"Great."
I smiled, and stood up. I dared to look at Frank. His eyes were fixed on the floor.
"Bye, guys," I said, giving them a small wave. A chorus of goodbyes echoed around the room and I whizzed passed Frank.
"Bye, Frank," I muttered, and he just nodded his head in response.
Jeez, what is it with this kid?
♠ ♠ ♠
Before you jump down my throat
I'd like to present you with
Something I call personality