Frozen Water

Time is of the essence

Jessica’s POV

So here I sat in this god-forsaken Classroom, trying to keep up with my English teacher’s fast paced lesson on learning Shakespeare. As much as she wanted us to move on quickly through the ‘merchant of Venice’ this period seemed to last a life time.

I wasn’t sure whether it was just her voice that caused the overwhelming annoyance of it all, or the fact that Alex Bollard kept my pulse rate on a high and nervous count.

I loved him. Well if you could call it love. Sometimes I wondered whether I was acting like a stalker, but I always dream about being with him someday.

His hair was a deep chocolate brown and fell down to his jaw line. I have never even seen a guy ever have such straight and clean hair. His eyes contrasted beautifully as a rich sapphire and his skin....well beyond flawless.

Every muscle and bone in me, ached to just hug him tightly. He wasn’t stuck-up or self absorbed and tended to keep to himself. A rather shy person really.

I was the lucky 15 year old girl that got to spend an hour on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, sitting next to him in English lessons. I found it hard to keep still some of the time because I was just so nervous of actually being that close to him.

Today though, the atmosphere was rather different. Normally his attention would wonder off into a land of doodles on the front of his exercise book or the fact he concentrated on staring at the clock above the white board constantly, but today his expression seemed to lighten when Amanda Lace walked into the room.

I felt my heart tug on the tiny, thin heartstrings I had yet to use. Sadness and envy washed over me.

Jessica you are being ridiculous. Of course he likes Amanda. She is beautiful, smart and elegant. All features that have not successfully landed in you gene pool.’

Finally the torcher was over and the last period bell rang. Alex was already half way out the door before I had a chance to catch up to him. To my anger I had to wait behind according to Mrs. Webster.

“Miss. Lancaster would you like to stay behind for a moment. I need to talk to you about your coursework.”

I bit my lip and swallowed deeply. I must not lose my temper.

“Yes Miss.” I managed to chew back a bitter tone and replace it with fake innocence.

As I watched everyone else exit the classroom and hovered around my desk. My feet were tapping and I kept peering anxiously out of the window. I wonder if he’s already gone...?

“Jessica you are one of the brightest pupils in this year so far, but I’ve noticed a slight decline in your grades over these past few months. It’s only now that I’ve noticed this, after I placed you next to Mr. Bollard.”

Why in the world does she have to use our last names to describe each individual? I have no clue. I was wasting valuable time here!

“Now if your grades keep dropping I may have to seat you next to someone who will not distract you-“

“But Alex doesn’t distract me at all Miss! In fact he’s the best person you’ve sat me next to all year!”

I cut her off with my sudden outcry. Her thin lips pursed and her nostrils flared slightly.

“Sorry Miss.”

“Mmmmm yes that was very rude. Carry on like that, I definitely will move you. Well if it’s not Mr. Bollard who is the cause of your falling effort, than what is?”

I hesitated for a moment. In actual truth it was Alex who did distract me, but it was not intentional.

“Well....I just find this topic quite difficult that’s all. If I study really hard throughout this week, I promise I will get my grades back up.”

My gaze quickly stumbled towards the clock. It had been 10 minutes already. Surely he would have gone by now. Oh well.
I sighed to myself.

“Hmmmmm well I want at least a 30% increase in your marks. Do you understand?”

“Yes Miss.” I mumbled, still in disappointment.

“You may go now.”

There was no point in rushing out of there, so I ended up just walking briskly, but carelessly home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok I know it seems confusing, but we have stepped back to the english classroom that alex described in the first chapter.
The next chapter shall be posted in jessica's POV and then hopefully you will understand what I'm doing :)

COMMENTS PLEASE :)