Hello Beautiful

Laura And Nick, Sitting In A Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G

“There you are Laura. Nick’s been looking everywhere for you.”

No answer.

“Laura? Hey come on, Nick didn’t set you up to embarrass you. It’s all Joe’s fault.”

“Are you sure?” she asked me in a cold voice. She had been crying, I could tell. She looked mad at the world.

“Positive.”

“How do you know?” She used the same cold voice.

“Because I know Nick, and you do too. He would never do something like that. Laura, he really cares about you. None of us would ever do anything to hurt you. I know that and you do too.”

“Are you sure about that?” Oh. Now I see what this is about. She’s mad at Joe for embarrassing her. I hope he didn’t have a video camera.

“Laura, come on, that’s Joe. Nick isn’t like that, I promise.”

“That doesn’t change the way I feel about Joe.”

“I know that, but that’s just Joe.”

“Oh, he’s really a huge jerk? Good to know!” She stood up and started to walk away.

“Wait,” I grabbed her arm and she jerked away. “You know that’s not what I meant,” I said, chasing after her, down the hill, past The Tree, towards the edge of the lake.

“Really?” She spun to face me. “Please, Kevin, by all means, do tell me what was going through Joseph’s head. I would love to know,” she spat, her voice filled with bitterness.

“Laura, he was just trying to be funny.”

“Do I look like I’m laughing?”

“No, but-“

“Kevin, he had a video camera!” Oh no. “By now, mine and Nick’s rehearsal is probably plastered all over YouTube!” Joe wouldn’t do that. Would he? “Now everyone is going to think we’re-“

“Dating?”

“Yes!!!”

“Aren’t you?”

“NO!!!!! We’re just friends!” It was weird, I could tell that she was totally furious, but as soon as she choked on the words ‘just friends’, she looked like she was about to break down crying. I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her.

She hugged me tightly for a moment before I asked, “Is there something you want to share with me?”

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Really?”

Her eyed watered and she started sobbing into my shoulder. “I love him so much.” The words trembled as they left her mouth. I had the feeling that, even though everyone knew she loved him like he loved her, I was the first person to hear it directly from the source. “If rumors start flying about us, then what if it gets so weird, that we can never be together?” she sobbed.

“Shhh… It’s ok, it’ll be fine,” I told her. “Everything’s going to be ok. I promise…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Number seven! We finally got to Chapter 20! YAY! I'm gogint to get to 25 tonight if it kills me. That should make you all happy...