Hello Beautiful

I Pay 10,000 Dollars An Hour For Grass (And Dirt)

Crack! The sound of ball hitting bat was so loud that I almost covered my ears. It was September 16th and we were in Yankee Stadium in New York for Nicky’s birthday. I hope he liked it, because it was draining my bank account at ten thousand dollars an hour. Seriously, couldn’t we just go to the park? Well, we could have but I don’t think I would have gotten the same reaction from all three of the boys, plus the band. They freaked out. No joke. It was the most hysterical thing I have ever seen in my whole life. They were like little kids in Dylan’s Candy Bar. I thought that Nick was going to get down on his hands and knees any minute and start kissing the ground. He loves baseball and he’s never played in a real, full sized professional baseball stadium before, so I thought why not? It couldn’t hurt anything, except my wallet.

“Laura, I love you!!!” Nick was bouncing with excitement. I couldn’t wait to see his face when I gave him his present, a baseball bat, autographed by all of the players on the New York Yankees team. I thought I would hold off on that until he had calmed down a little bit.

I threw him another pitch. He hit it right into the stands. “Home Run!” I screamed as loudly as I could, just for the simple reason that I could. We were in a huge baseball stadium, the doors were locked, and there were no cameras, no photographers, no one around except us and the band. And of course, Big Rob. “Swap with me.” I yelled across the field. He jogged to the pitchers mound and handed off his helmet and bat. I tossed him the ball.

I ran to home plate and pulled on the helmet. God, how did this thing fit him, with all that curly hair? It was pressing the top of my ponytail into my head and it hurt a lot.

I ignored the pain and focused on the ball as it left Nick’s hand. It came at me in slow motion, turning tight circles through the air. I could see exactly how I needed to hit it in order to put the just right spin on it to take it out of the park.

SMACK!!! The noise was so loud that I almost didn’t follow through with the bat. It was ten times louder than the noise Nick had made.

“Anybody see it?”

“Nope.”

“Sorry guys!” I jogged around the bases and back to the pitchers mound. Me and Nick were our own team. It was us versus Joe, Jack, John, Garbo, Ryan, and Kevin. The sad thing was that we were winning.

“Hey Nick, come here.” I walked over to what would have been the home team’s dug out, where we had stored our stuff. I reached into my blue and brown Vera Bradley duffel, which was serving as a bag for all of our sports equipment, and pulled out Nick’s present, the signed baseball bat. “Here. Happy Birthday.” I handed it to him with a flourish.

His jaw dropped. “Is this for me?”

“Yea. It is your birthday, isn’t it?”

“Are you serious?”

“Well, if you don’t want it, I guess I can sell it on EBay…”

“No way!” He snatched it out of my hands and turned it every which way, examining it from different angles. He looked back up at me after a minute. “Thank you Laura.” He reached over and gave me a gentle kiss. He pulled back and smiled. I smiled back and blushed.

“Come on, I want to show this to the guys!” He grabbed my hand and dragged me back on to the field. I smiled to myself as he showed off my gift to his brothers and the band.

He kissed me. Wow…
♠ ♠ ♠
Yea, I have 7 subscribers and 2 stars!!!