Hello Beautiful

OUCH!

“Who’s the referee?” Nick asked suddenly.

“No ref. Fight your own way through.” Ellen cackled.

“Wait, what about fouls?” Joe asked.

“I play guys lacrosse and tackle football and you think I’m worried about you fouling me in basketball?” I asked him like he was an idiot.

“No, I’m worried about you fouling me in basketball,” he shot back.

I shrugged. It was a fair enough worry.

“Ummm... No pushing and no traveling,” said Nick.

“Fair enough. Are three pointers still three pointers?” I asked grinning.

He groaned, realizing what I was thinking. “Ugh, yea I guess. I already said it, so I can’t change it now.”

“Yes!”

“Ok, let’s go!” Joe screamed at the top of his lungs.

“Wait. Where are we going to play?” I asked.

“There’s a basketball court outside,” said Kevin. I had never been to this studio before and it showed.

“Ok, people,” Ellen called over our heads, “We will get back to you with the results of the Laura Sullivan versus Jonas Brothers and company basketball game at the end of the show. We are sending a camera out there so that we can put it up on the website, www.ellenTV.com Check it out after the show to see the highlights.”

I had to focus. I was playing basketball against seven and a half guys. (Nick was the extra half; he’s that good) It was going to take all of my skill and concentration just to steal the ball from them. We walked outside and Kevin went over to the bus to tell the band about the game. I looked at the court and started to plan strategy. Nick and Joe were their strongest players. I had to keep the ball away from them at all costs, even if it meant tossing it out of bounds. I could just intercept the throw-in and shoot from wherever I was standing.

Nick walked over to me. I didn’t notice him for a minute because I was thinking so hard.

“Hey,” he spoke, breaking my concentration. “Are you sure you’re ok with this?”

“Yea. Why wouldn’t I be?” I was puzzled by his tone.

“Well, I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’ll be fine Nick.”

“Laura, there’s seven of us. Are you positive you want to do this?”

“Yes. Besides, if I back out now, I have to buy Kevin a Porsche 911 Turbo for his birthday.” And if I backed out now, no one would ever let me live it down.

“When you lose, I’ll buy Kevin the car Laura, you don’t have to do that.”

“No way Nick, I can’t-” I paused, incredulous. “Wait. Did you just say ‘when’ I lose? Ok, that’s it, you’re going down. Now move before I punch you in the face!” I threatened him. He smirked at me and walked towards his team. I would crush them if it was my last act on this earth.

I had no idea that that’s exactly what might happen...
♠ ♠ ♠
Only 10 chapters left!!!