Hello Beautiful

Yea, Cause I’m Such A ‘Delicate Little Rock Star’

“So since we don’t have the photo shoot today, what do you want to do?” I asked Laura as we sat in the Laura’s room after breakfast. I heard a loud thump from the direction of the kitchen and knew that Joe must be testing his new ‘bouncing off the walls’ theory. Idiot.

“Ummm... Well, I was actually wondering if you could teach me the guitar parts for some of your songs, because all I know is Inseparable and That’s Just The Way We Roll.”

“Yea, I think I could do that.” I smiled widely at her. “Where’s your guitar?” She walked over to her closet and pulled out her acoustic guitar. It was a different one from what she usually played for us.

She saw me staring at it. “You like it? My parents sent it to me as an early birthday present.” She grinned.

“Yea, it’s awesome.” It really was. It was black, with silver and white inlay and it had little red and white flowers and green vines up by the pegs and the end of the strings; I realized that they were roses, Laura’s favorite.

“That’s not all, look.” She flipped the guitar over and there was a quote on the back: Live like you’re at the bottom, even if you’re at the top. The lettering was white and was intertwined with red and white roses and green vines, like the front.

“Whoa,” was all I could say.

“I know, it rocks right? I know it’s your quote, but it’s always been one of my favorites. I actually designed this guitar and left the design in my room at home, so I guess they found it and made it real.” She smiled.

I stuck my hand out and she gave me the guitar, still smiling. I ran my hand over it, checking out the details. The roses were obviously roses, you could never mistake them for anything else. The vines were thin and delicate, with tiny leaves and they flowed perfectly. I strummed a chord. It was perfectly tuned. “This is awesome.” I grinned at her. It was the perfect guitar for her. I hung out with her enough, I should know.

“So what do you want to teach me first?” she asked, snapping me out of my trance.

“Ummm... Do you know Hello Beautiful?” I asked her. She shook her head. “Ok, we’ll start there then. Come here.” I sat down on the bed and pulled her onto my lap. She giggled and blushed.

I grabbed the guitar and handed it to her, wrapping my arms around her waist. People magazine would love this, I thought to myself as she leaned against me. I took her hands in mine and put her fingers where they needed to be to make the chords. As she strummed, I sang.

Hello beautiful
How’s it going
I hear it’s wonderful
In California
I’ve been missing you
It’s true

But tonight
I’m gonna fly
Yea, tonight
I’m gonna fly
Cause I could go
Across the world
And see everything
And never be satisfied
If I couldn’t see those eyes

Hello beautiful
It’s been a long time
Since my phone’s rung
And you’ve been on that line
I’ve been missing you
It’s true

But tonight
I’m gonna fly
Yea, tonight
I’m gonna fly
Cause I could go
Across the world
And see everything
And never be satisfied
If I couldn’t see those eyes


She was really good. I probably could have just told her the chords and she could have played them all by herself, sitting next to me instead of on top of me.

I told her this and she laughed. “I like this way better,” she giggled, kissing me on the cheek. I laughed and hugged her. She hugged me back and the guitar slipped from my fingers as I stroked her hair. The guitar hit the floor with a thud and we both jumped and then reached down to grab it. She got to it first and hit her head on mine.

“Ouch. Gosh, I really have to stop doing that.” She laughed, rubbing her head. “Are you ok?” I was rubbing my head.

“Yea, I’m fine. Come here, let me look at you.” I wanted to look at her to make sure that she was ok, she had hit her head a lot in the past 24 hours. Laura scooted closer to me and took my hand. I could feel her warm breath on my lips. Damn it, I wanted to kiss her so badly...

“I’m ok,” she promised. “You have a bump on your head though.”

“I do not, it doesn’t hurt that much.”

“Well, then you must be very delicate, my little rock star.” She laughed at me and ran her fingers through my hair.

“Hey, I’m not the one who collapsed during a little game of basketball yesterday,” I said, wrapping my arms around her waist.

“Well, I may have collapsed, but at least I didn’t cry,” she laughed at me.

“Ok, so, are you telling me that if I hit my head, got knocked out, and wasn’t breathing, you wouldn’t cry?” I asked her sarcastically.

“Well...” she deliberated,” Maybe just a little bit.” She smiled at me.

“I feel unloved,” I said jokingly.

“Awww, Nicky, you know I love you.” She scooted closer to me and hugged me.

“I love you too Laura,” I whispered in her ear.

She pulled back. “Do you really mean that?” she whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second to last chapter!