When You Look Me in the Eyes

Shit, Shit, Double Shit

Oh God.

It was Joe, staring open mouthed at us.

Nick was the first one to speak. “Joe, I swear, this is not...” His voice tapered off into nothingness. What could he say? ‘This is not what it looks like’?

Yea, it is. It was me and his brother making out in the bedroom of the tour bus with the door closed.

“Are you... are you...” Joe couldn’t speak he was so surprised. He pointed at me, and then at Nick. My mouth fell open, knowing what he was thinking. I pushed Nick off of me and stood up, straightening my clothes. My eyes never moved from the floor. I pushed past Joe on my way to the lounge, not meeting his eyes.

I sat down on the couch in the lounge next to Kendall. She looked at me funny and asked me if I was alright. I didn’t respond, thinking about everything that had happened today. Nick was acting weird, (well now it was only going to get worse) and I knew that I couldn’t face Joe after what he had seen. I knew Kendall would find out eventually, and realized that I would rather her hear it from me than from some piece of tabloid trash.

I sighed and grabbed her hand, dragging her into the bathroom. I told her everything that happened up to the point where Joe walked into the bedroom, where me and Nick had been... yea.

“I can’t believe it!” she squealed. “You’re finally going out with Nick!” She started jumping up and down joyfully in her Kendall-ish way. When she realized that I wasn’t freaking out with her, she stopped, glaring at me. “What is it? What didn’t you tell me?” I looked down at my feet again.

“We’re not going out, we just made out.” I frowned at the tile floor of the bathroom.

“What?” she said sharply. I sighed again. “That asshole! I can’t believe that he would kiss you and then not ask you out!” She looked furious. Nick had better watch out; when Kendall gets ticked off, grizzly bears run for the hills. Yea, it’s that bad.

“Kendall, please don’t kill him! It was the most awkward thing in the world when Joe walked in on us! And I kind of... ran away.” I looked at the floor again, knowing what was coming.

“You ran away?” She sounded dumbfounded. “You ran away? From freaking NICK JONAS?” She practically screamed.

“Kendall, tell the whole world, why don’t you?” I told her sarcastically.

“Well I’m sorry, but I’m not the one who ran away from an internationally known rock star after he kissed me!” she whisper-yelled.

I sighed, knowing that she was going to blame this whole thing on me; nothing was Nick’s fault, nothing was Joe’s fault, and, deep inside, I knew that she was right. I didn’t want to talk to Nick, but I had to. I took a deep breath and turned around to open the door.

I didn’t touch the doorknob, but it swung open, and there, in all his perfection, was Nick. My favorite person in the world. But not now. I did need to talk to him, but I just couldn’t do it yet.

“Sorry,” he muttered, looking at his feet. Nick backed up a few steps to let me and Kendall out. I stepped past him, avoiding his eyes.

I saw Joe talking quietly with Kevin in the corner of the lounge. As we walked into the room, they stopped talking and looked at us.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” Kendall asked cheerfully. As if you couldn’t already cut the tension with a knife...

“Nothing! We’re not talking about you. Who says that we’re talking about you, cause we’re not! Why would we talk about you? We don’t have anything to say about you Laura, we never do. You’re just so... so... Yea, we weren’t talking about you,” Joe said really fast. Kevin smacked him in the back of the head.

“Ok then...” Kendall sat down on the couch and turned on the television. She flipped through the programs: Hannah Montana, Lost, Barney, LA Ink, Dancing With The Stars. She stopped on the last one. I automatically leaned forward, focusing my attention on the TV screen; I was addicted to Dancing With The Stars. I love Derek Hough, he’s amazing, and Julianne Hough is the best girl dancer on the show.

I watched as Chuck and Julianne whirled across the stage, doing the waltz. It was almost the end of the season and it was down to the last two stars, Chuck Wicks and Shawn Johnson. They would be starting the new season really soon and I wondered which celebrities would be asked to be on the show...

My thoughts were interrupted by a voice that sounded a lot like Kevin: “Julianne is so hott.”

“Gross! Dude, she’s like, in her 20’s!” Joe exclaimed.

I laughed at his immature reaction; he was 19!

“Well, so am I smart ass,” Kevin pointed out. I suddenly remembered that his birthday was coming up in a month and no one had done anything. It had taken me hours on the phone and weeks of planning for Nick’s birthday. Joe’s was just a last minute thing, but had turned out great and he had loved it anyway. What could we do for Kevin’s birthday?

“Ouch, that looked like it hurt,” Joe said, as an instant replay showed Mark Ballas, Shawn’s partner fall and roll his ankle in practice the other day. It really did look painful and I winced as they played it again.

“Is he still going to dance?” Jack asked, popping up behind us and scaring us half to death.

“Crap Jack, what the hell was that for?” Kendall exclaimed.

“Nothing, I was just bored,” he said shrugging. I laughed at his face. Maybe this wouldn’t have to be so awkward after all...