The Heart That Requires a Key

With Great Care, Comes A Loving Reward

"Come on...you can do it...just go through with it...nothing bad is going to happen because all it takes is to show the true colors...its been a month so the time is just right," Jeff recited to himself just before knocking at Serenity's door, on the Monday morning they were set to enjoy what appeared to be their third date.

Just then without him even knocking, Serenity opened the door to throw out the trash and surprisingly ran into him. "Hey! Why didn't you knock?" she asked.

"Oh...I'm sorry I just was caught up in thinking about something,"

"Well quit thinking and come on and get comfortable. Let me just go get rid of this garbage."

Settling down on her beige micro fiber sofa, Jeff put himself at ease as he felt ready for this to be the day that he'd confess what has been held inside though Serenity would already have a clue thus the fact of their last encounter with an unexpecting kiss.

"Gosh that garbage stinks," she said as she returned. "How are you feeling my love?" she questioned.

"...Love?" he questioned.

She laughed and poked his side "Yeah why so surprised?"

"Well you of course remember our last encounter...don't you?"

Serenity hesitated "Yes I remember...what about it?"

"Before our day was over, you asked me if I like you and I responded positively. Then you said you do too...was there a special chemistry between us in that moment?" Jeff asked nervously.

Before Serenity could answer, she receive a phone call from one of her other newly made friends, Jessica. "Let me take this, I'll be right back," she said as she dashed for the phone.

Jeff sighed heavily "This isn't a good time," he said to himself.

Serenity was heard in the kitchen on the phone laughing and chattering then explained to her friend that she needs to go because she had important company. She returned back into the living room and leaped onto the couch happily to hear more what her "love" had to express more about his story. "Sorry about that Jeff. Now as you were..." she was stopped for Jeff had put his finger on her lip.

"This isn't a good time Serenity. I don't feel up to explaining this right now. Let’s just do what you usually do on your average Monday," he suggested.

"Well it is a little unorganized in the kitchen so if you'd like you can wipe the table and put the dishes and pots away. I'll go tend to my room because its kind of messy then when I'm done I'm going to go take a shower so if you need me just knock," she explained.

"Sure...if you say so."

After a few hours had passed; it was a few minutes to 4PM and Jeff had the kitchen looking in great shape, he also took the liberty into cleaning up the living room for further respect shown to Serenity and her mother's home. It was just so strange that he had dwelled on this moment for such a long period of time but now that its in his hands; he cannot He proceeded onto the kitchen; wiping the counter that he had already cleaned but kept on wiping anyway just so he could clear his mind of the difficulties faced so far. Just then his cell phone rang. It was Ana.

"Hi bro what’s going on honey?" she said ecstatically.

"...Just fine sis...just fine...I'm here at her house."

"Oh really?" she giggled "How’s it going? Did you make it official?"

"Ana it isn't easy...I feel to shy and well...just not so ready...I thought I was ready but I guess not."

“Where is she right now?”

“In the shower.” He replied.

“Ok listen to me and listen carefully because I’m only going to say this once for the better of your immediate future. When she gets out of the shower, you tell her what you feel about her and you better do it because what time do you leave from there?”

“I leave at six but if I may be able to negotiate; I guess I can receive the approval to stay the night.” He explained

“NO! Don’t stay the night over. Just tell her how you feel and begin the relationship because I know its borderline to happen. I swear to you Jeff if you don’t do this I will eat you!” Ana explained.

“Ana this is no time for jokes, this is a serious matter.”

“What the hell do you think I’m trying to get at? Just do it!”

Just then Serenity called Jeff from the shower. “Jeff could you come in here?”

“I have to go, she’s calling me,” he told Ana.

“Remember what I said.” Ana replied as she hung up.

Jeff slowly eased into the bathroom with one hand over his eyes, being respectful enough not to catch Serenity in a non-decent state.
She had seen what he’d been doing and began to laugh hard “You are such fun you know that?”

“Actually I’m being serious. I don’t want to end up seeing any department not available for my eyes.”

“Open your eyes Jeff, I’m not going to bite. Also I have a towel on.”

He opened his eyes truly to a towel covered Serenity and her wet honey brown hair. He smelled the aroma giving off from her hair that was a mix of peach and cherry.

“Well anyway…what do you need me for?”

“I just didn’t feel comfortable with leaving you in the living room all by yourself. By the way are you done with the cleaning?” she questioned.

“Not only the kitchen but I took it upon myself to give you a little more free hand by fixing up the living room.”

“Thank you so much. Its not ever easy getting this how in top shape. I’m glad I have someone as wonderful as you Jeff.”

Jeff couldn’t take the feelings inside no more. He had to let the truth be known. “Serenity…I need to talk to you…about something.”

“OK let me go change first.”
After 5 minutes, she returned in a white tank top and low cut shorts to air out from the steaming hot shower. She joined on over by Jeff, sitting on her couch like before.

“Talk to me. What’s on your mind?” she began

“It’s been a month so far hasn’t it?” Jeff asked

“Of summer? Yeah I know July is gone so fast.

“Not that…I mean of when we met.”

“Oh…of course. What about it?”

“Serenity…I’ve tried to keep my feelings held inside for so long but it can’t be for no longer. I have to let out what I want to say because it’s killing me to let you know what I feel about you,” Jeff explained

“Jeff…I feel that I already know what you’re going to say!” Serenity informed.

“Y-you do?” he questioned.

“Yes…I’ve wanted to be your girlfriend since the second you kissed me on our previous encounter.”

“I…I’m glad you understand. So what do you propose happens here?” Jeff stammered.

“You tell me honey.”

Jeff leaned in similar the way he’d done before; this time he embraced her. His arms gripped carefully and softly around her waist. Staring her eye to eye. She smiled with a few blushes that had enlightened across her cheeks.

“You forgot what to do?” she questioned.

“Yes…this feeling can’t be right because I’ve never felt what it’s like to hold someone so dearly and close to me.” He admitted bashfully.

“It’s a little bit new to me as well but I can handle it.” She explained.

The grip loosened and his arms dropped. “What’s wrong?” she questioned.

“I…wrote you something that I want you to hear.” He confessed with the feeling of his heart beginning to beat faster; knowing that by the end of this, she’d most definitely feel as special as the angel that he says she is. “A month I wouldn't have guessed to meet you. A month ago I wouldn't have guessed for reality to be this true.

I was weak with terror in mind that nobody would come along
But you stood over me out from the open and immediately brought me back strong.

I've had my doubts with girls in the past that would verbally kick me out to the curb
Even more, I've had my doubts that I wouldn't feel cupid's healing herb.

But now you've walked into my heart and have left me happy
For now I see that you are that one to my heart that I call, the key."

“That was lovely. Basically…I’m the key to your heart?” she questioned.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.” Jeff confessed.

Serenity without word, moved in closer to Jeff, wrapped her arms around him, as for he gripped his arms around her waist once again and the two shared their second kiss but this time officially known not as any type of friends, but now as boyfriend to girlfriend