Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Friends Who Steal Your Car

"How can you be friends with them?" Christie asked as I waved at the group in the corner.

"They're really . . . cool once you get to know them."

"They creep me out."

I laughed and took a bite of my apple. "I'm sure you'd creep them out, too, Chris."

"Don't be mean."

"I'm sorry."

"No, you're not."

"I know. It just sounded nice."

"You're weird," she giggled and stacked her books. "Well, I've gotta go. Doctor's appointment. Bye."

"See you later."

"Come on over, Dahlia!"

I rolled my eyes as everyone in the cafeteria stared at me. Regardless, I grabbed my book-bag and strode over to their table. My friends smiled at me when I slammed into the seat.

"Once of these days, Emmett," I began, "I'll kill you."

He laughed and pushed my hair out of my face. "Gotta be stronger than me, baby."

Even though I was used to the iciness of their flesh and the sweet smell of their breath, I still shivered. "You'd better make this worth the rest of my lunch."

"Eat, Dahlia. You need it."

"I hate eating in front of you guys."

Alice's golden irises held disbelief. "You are one strange individual."

"You're one to talk."

"Do you need a ride home?" Jasper asked.

"Maybe. It depends on who stole my car today."

"I dropped it off at your house," drawled Emmett.

"Then it's out of gas?"

"Yeah."

I shook my head and rose to my feet. "Get to class, guys."

Thankfully, I had the next class with Jasper. Don't get me wrong; I loved the others, but I also felt it was easier to get along with the "youngest" of the Cullen/Hale clan. Then again, he was talented.

"Hi, Dahlia."

"Hey, Jas."

"What's wrong?"

"Emmett."

"Elaborate."

"Ms. Payne, Mr. Hale. Quiet. It's test time."

I groaned but accepted the sheet of paper our Algebra teacher passed to me.