Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

I Miss My Friend

Emmett avoided my gaze all day at school, and he stayed out in the garage while I was at their house. Nobody but Edward, Emmett, Alice, and I knew why the tension was so thick, palpable. At nine o’clock that evening, I walked outside.

“Dahlia, it’d be best if you just left me alone.”

“I came to say good-bye. I’ll never come back around if that’s what you want.”

“It’s for the better.”

“Fine. Here’s your jacket back. Good-bye, Emmett.”

I dropped the coat on the hood of the silver Volvo and left the garage. Carlisle smiled grimly and pulled out of their driveway. We did not speak during the drive; for that, I was grateful. If I opened my mouth, I would start crying. He stopped outside my house.

“’Lia, please understand his decision.”

“I do, and so I’m respecting it.”

“It will be okay.”

“I hope.”

I ran inside, up the stairs, and into my room, flopping down onto my bed. Tears immediately poured down my cheeks as I buried my face into the pillow. I eventually cried myself to sleep.

Emmett’s P.O.V.

I locked the door behind me and walked over to the window. The river flowed by; I could hear the path of the water as it intertwined through the woods. The sun was now fighting the deep mist and fog; like most days, It gave up and continued to rise, though Its ray could not penetrate the thick blanket covering the town. I sighed and sat on the couch, only now noticing the purple fabric on the chair. The t-shirt was soft, pliable, in my hands. I brought it to my nose and inhaled the fragrance of cherry blossoms and vanilla. Dahlia’s scent. a note of longing ran through me, and I dropped the shirt.

“you miss her.”

“Yes.”

“It’s to be expected.”

“Esme. . . did I do the wrong thing by ending the friendship?”

“What do you think?”

I stared out the window. “I think I need my best friend back.”