Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Marilyn Monroe

"Popsicle? Does living on the rez take away your originality? And what treaty?"

"That the Cullens don't bite a human while on this land."

"Is that why you all don't go down to La Push?" I asked Emmett.

"Yes. We're forbidden if we want to keep the peace."

"Well, you've reminded him," I spat at Jacob. "You can leave now."

"Not until he swears on it."

"I will not bite anybody."

"Swear on Dahlia's life."

"I swear on Dahlia's life that I will not bite anybody. Now scram, mutt."

Jacob Black disappeared, and I glanced at Emmett. "Mutt?"

"Let's get to the house. You're soaked now."

We reached the spacious home in only a few moments; Esme handed me a pair of Alice's jeans and a large black t-shirt. I recognised it immediately as one of Emmett's. He led me to the bathroom and pulled out an unopened bottle of shampoo. With a smile and swift kiss (while not breathing), he retreated and closed the door behind him. I stared at the large white porcelain tub; after a couple of minutes, I turned the knobs and waited for the water to warm up. After stripping quickly, I sank into the deep basin and sighed blissfully. I kept seeing the Black kid's face on the back of my eyelids. Mutt?

Some time later, I stepped out of the bathroom, dry and dressed. I could hear the piano being played downstairs, a radio playing behind one closed door, and soft voices conversing behind another; I padded down the hall to find Emmett and Carlisle speaking in low hushed voices, but they stopped when I entered. Carlisle's pale face lit up with a smile.

"Feel better?"

"Much. Thanks."

"You're welcome," he smiled as he exited.

I plopped down on the couch beside Emmett. "What was that about?"

"Just discussing Prom arrangements."

"Em, just so you know, I won't be the best dancer there."

"That's quite alright."

"And I won't be the most beautiful."

"I highly doubt that."

"Why's that?"

"Because you're beautiful."

"But not the most."

"Not in the world, no. I happen to have a crush on Marilyn Monroe."

"She's dead."

"I'm well aware of that fact. But in contrast to the females of Forks High School, you are the most beautiful."

"Thank you."

His cold lips against mine still made my heart fail for a second or two.