Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Storms and Dreams

I cuddled up to the bear Emmett had gotten me and closed my eyes again. The heavy rain on the roof pounded harder, and a crash of thunder clapped overhead. I jumped; though I was used to storms, they never failed to freak me out when they occurred at night. Lightning lit up my room, and I jerked the blankets over my head, clutching Emma tighter to my chest.

"It's okay, Dahlia."

"Emmett?"

"Sh. Yes."

"How long have you been here?"

"Don't worry about that," he whispered as he crawled onto my bed, making sure I was still covered before he pulled me against his chest. "It's just a storm."

"Emmett?"

"Yes, darling?"

I blushed. "Can you turn on my stereo?"

"Of course."

Pictures of You softly filled my room, and I sighed sleepily. Emmett chuckled when I yawned; I buried my head under his chin, and he slipped his arm around my waist. Soon, the sounds of te storm died out, and all I could hear were the Cure singing and Emmett breathing.

Edward's P.O.V.

"And where have you been all night, young man?"

Emmett glared playfully at me. "Read my mind."

"We don't need to," Alice retorted. "It's written all over your face. You spent the night with Dahlia."

"Is it that obvious?"

"Yes."

"Be nice. Leave him alone."

"Esme, he was with his girlfriend!"

"Good. Did you have fun?"

"Yeah. I wish I could have seen her dreams."

Offered I, "I'll try to find them out for you."

"Please?"

"Of course."

I had never seen my brother so . . . desperate before. Usually, he played life cool, and even his thoughts were collected. But now, he seemed to be completely around Dahlia. He deserved love. After all, Carlisle had Esme, Jasper had Alice, and I'd had Tanya. Nobody had been there for him, romantically. Until now.