Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Profound Thoughts

Carlisle's P.O.V.

"She will be okay."

Emmett stared down at Dahlia. "This is my fault."

"No, it isn't."

"I asked Edward to tell me her dreams. If I hadn't, he wouldn't have told me, and she wouldn't be hurt."

"She'll forgive you," Alice murmured, and Edward added, "She already has."

"Emmett, come with me," I ordered softly.

He followed me to the kichen, where I got a glass of orange juice - Dahlia's favourite - for the inured girl. "She's fine. And listen to me. She'll get over this."

"I keep messing up, Carlisle."

"That's part of a relationship. Making mistakes means learning."

"Will I ever get it right?"

"Of course you will. It just takes time."

Dahlia's P.O.V.

The blankets were warm. The bed was soft. Something cold touched my cheek, and I turned my face away. I heard a sigh, felt a caressing breeze.

"Dahlia?"

"Emmett?"

"Yeah. How are you feeling?"

"Better. What happened?"

"You got mad and ran off. Then---"

"I know that part. I meant after I blacked out."

"Oh. When you were startled by the deer, you feel back. You sprained your ankle. I carried you back here."

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For over-reacting."

"It's okay."

"Hey, gorgeous?"

"Yes, beautiful?"

"I. . .I love you."

"I love you, too."

Within the next few hours, I was up walking around the house as Emmett watched me. I played piano with Edward, danced with Alice and then Carlisle, learned how to knit from Esme, and then stood by the window.

"What are you thinking about?" Emmett's low voice whispered in my ear.

"The weather."

He rested his chin on my head and stared out at the wooded area beyond. "What's so intriguing?"

"It erases everything. You can walk beneath the trees' canopies and leave a trail, but in less than half an hour, the rainfall will obliterate every sign of your presence. It destroys a whole day if you want to go on a picnic or for a stroll in the forest. But it's still so beautiful, peaceful, relaxing. It does what it wants without a care. It does what it feels it needs to. Much like the human race."

"Don't think so profound, Dahlia."

"I can't help it. It captivates me at the same time it repulses me."

"I understand. What was that whole thing about the human race?"

"We humans do as we want. We don't think about the consequences. We just act. We're cruel but hide our inner demons behind fake masks and memorised false lines. WE dare not to let the charades cease for fear of being rejected and ostracised by those we convince ourselves we love, when in reality, we feel the urge continuously to rip them limb from limb. It makes no sense."

"That's humanity for you."

"Then maybe I don't want to be a part of it."