Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Important News

I shifted and sighed sleepily. My hand came in contact with something ice-cold; a smile danced onto my face as I remembered the night before. I opened my eyes and stared up at Emmett.

"Morning, beautiful," he murmured, kissing my forehead.

"Good morning, handsome," I replied, before asking cheekily, "How'd you sleep?"

"'Insomnia kept me awake."

"Poor baby."

"Oh, Dahlia. You're awake."

"Hi, Esme."

"Your mother called to say that she and your father went into work early today. Also, when you go home, there will be a letter on the table from her."

"'Kay, thanks."

"You're welcome."

Esme left Emmett's room, and I sat up. Another of my boyfriend's large t-shirts adorned my body; I laughed slightly and reached over the edge of the bed for my jeans. After sliding them on, I stretched.

Emmett chuckled, "Yet another shit of mine that you can keep."

"If you keep this up, you won't have any shirts left."

"Like you're complaining."

"Not really, no. I happen to like you shirtless."

He grinned, a cocky expression on his face. "And I happen to like you in my shirt."

"Can I get a ride home?"

"Yes."

In one graceful movement that still shocked me due to his size, he rose to his feet and pulled a hand-knit sweater on. He gathered my hand in his and followed me down the stairs. Alice smiled.

"Are you going home?"

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Definitely."

The car ride was filled with pleasant silence and his icy hand wrapped around mine Rain wasn't falling, but the dark grey clouds overhead threatened stormy weather. He parked ouside my house, and I looked over at him.

"Thank you."

"Anytime, sweetheart."

Once we stood under the porch-awning, I rose to the tips of my hiking booths and attempted to reach his lips. Frustrated at my lack of height, I reached up with one hand, cupped the back of his neck, and brought his face nearer. I pressed a kiss to his mouth.

"That's better."

He grinned. "Bye, beautiful."

"Bye, handsome."

Inside, I picked up the note lying on the table in the kitchen, and unfolded it.

Dahlia-

We have some important news to discuss when we get home. I'll be off work at 2:30 today, your dad at 3.

Love, Mom


"Oh, God. This can't be good."