Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Threats

The rest of the school year passed uneventfully, and finally, Emmett "graduated." My parents were invited to the graduation party to meet Dr. and Mrs. Cullen on a more personal level. The night of, I stood at the base of the stairs, arms folded over my chest, a dark scowl on my face. I was already clad in a black cotton skirt, a white button-down blouse, and a pair of black tights. My parents had tried to make me wear white flats - or even black - but I chose bright pink.

"Come on! How long does it take to get dressed?"

"Calm down. We're ready."

My mother was wearing a deep red dress that accentuated her body and black heels. Her blonde hair was pulled back in an elegant bun, and her makeup made her appear younger. My dad had taken a more casual route: black dress pants, a white button-down, and his usual "work shoes."

"Finally!"

"Dahlia, why are you so excited?"

"Because it's not every day my best friend graduates."

"Let's go."

"Turn here!"

"Dahla---"

"What? You might've missed it," I justified in an innocent tone.

My mom rebutted, "Not with the directions right in front of us."

The Cullens home was lit up by multiple lanterns, and candles burned brightly on the tables out front. Carlisle smiled, excused himself from Tanya's family's sides, and headed toward us.

"Hello, Dahlia. These must be your parents."

"Good evening, Dr. Cullen."

"Please, call me Carlisle."

"Carlisle," my father amended with a friendly grin, "I am DAhlia's father---"

"Duh," I muttered.

"---James, and this is Emily."

"This is a beautiful home you have."

I rolled my eyes at my mother's polite compliment just as Carlisle murmured, "Thank you. Come. I'll introduce you to Esme, my wife. Dahlia, the others are around here somewhere."

I made a quick escape immediately.

Emmett's P.O.V.

"You're not even dressed yet?"

"I have clothes on."

Dahlia glared. "You know what I mean."

"The one person I want to arrive is already here."

Her gaze softened, and she was by my side swiftly. I cupped her face tenderly in my hands and kissed her.

"You're so sweet."

"I try."

"Now let's go. You're supposed to be dressed within the next five minutes or else."

"Or else what? We've already determined I'm stronger than you."

"Or . . . or . . . I'll never kiss you again!"