Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Shock

Emmett rose to his feet, and the chatter in the yard died. "I know this night is supposed to be all about me, sicne I suffered through four long years to get where I'm at, but I'm going to ask Dahlia to stand up." He tugged my hand gently to bring me to rise up beside him."I've decided that I wanted to give you your birthday present now before I leave."

"You're leaving?"

"I'll explain later," he whispered, just for me to hear, then continued louder, "Dahlia, you've made me the happies I've ever been in my eighteen years, and I know most people would say it's just a crush, but . . . will you please be my wife?"

I could swear even Nature became silent in order to witness my answer. My parent's faces were shocked, tense, waiting for my reply.

"Oh, wow, um . . . yes, yes, of course."

He grinned widely, and, amid the applause, kissed me. I embraced him tightly and fought my tears. The rest of his family gave their congratulations in hugs; my mother was sobbing uncontrollably as she embraced me. I laughed tearfully and wrapped my arms around my father.

"My baby girl's growing up."

"You don't think I'm going too fast?"

"No. As long as you're happy. Besides he seems like a wonderful kid."

"He is. A great, amazing, wonderful guy."

"Alright. I get the picture." He chuckled. "We'll fly back for the wedding."

"I'll send the invitation."

"Good."

"Dahlia. . ."

"Mom, please stop crying."

"How can I? My seventeen-year-old daughter is engaged."

"Eighteen almost."

"Don't remind me."

"Bye, Mom. Bye, Dad. I love you both."

"We love you, too."

Emmett's cold hands ran up and down my arms, and he pressed a swift kiss to my temple. I turned to face him.

"Leaving?"

"Let's go inside."

"So . . .?"

"I'm going to be leaving for a month."

"Why?"

"I have . . . things to do."

"Oh? Like what?"

"I don't want to hurt you."

"I have faith in you."

"That I don't deserve."

"Of course you do."

"Here. Change."

"Em---"

"Dahlia, please just understand."

I quickly unbuttoned my shirt, ignoring the fact that myboyfriend fiancé was watching me. His eyes skimmed over my flesh, and an appreciative smile came to his mouth. I rolled my eyes and let the fabric fall to the floor so that I could grab the tank-top I was going to wear to bed. After pulling on my shorts, I laid on his couch and stretched out my body. He sat next to me.

"I do understand, Em. I just . . . I love you, and I don't want to hear you disrespecting yourself all the time. You're more to me than I could ever have imagined anyone being."

"You are my life. You always will be."

"I've made you the happies you've been in eighteen years? What about before that?"

"You know I only said that for the sake of your parents. They would have a heart attack if they knew what you're marrying."

"The best thing to ever happen to me? I don't see what's so wrong with that."