Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

More News

I watched as my parents walked through the terminal. Unfortunately, I'd had to say good-bye alone. It was an unnaturally gorgeous day; the sun was shining brightly in the sky, and no clouds lingered above. My mother blew me a kiss, and I waved, trying not to cry. Twenty minutes later, their plane took off and disappeared from sight. I sighed, crossed my arms over my chest, and walked back to Edward's silver Volvo. I opened the back door and slid in beside Alice. She smiled; I forced one in return.

Back at the Cullen's, I viewed my new sleeping arrangements. My bed fit neatly in - guess who's - Emmett's room, and my CD collection covered my desk by the window. The bookcase in the corner was mine, and filled with my favourite books. My clothes had already been put away in Emmett's dresser, large enough for four people to share.

"Hey, sweetheart. I'm going hunting with Alice and Edward. We'll be back soon."

"A couple of hours?"

"Sooner than that."

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"That soon."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I understand."

Emmett kissed me. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

He jumped out through the window, and I was left alone. I picked up the cell phone Alice had gotten me for my birthday, and scrolled through the contacts until I found the number I wanted.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Christie. It's Dahlia."

"Oh, hey! How are you?"

"Bored. Emmett went with Edward and Alice . . . visit college campuses."

"Oh. That has to be difficult to be away from him."

"It is. Want to hang out?"

"Of course! Want me to come pick you up?"

"Um, I'll have Carlisle or Jasper drop me off at your house."

"Okay. See you when you get here."

"Bye." I hung up and walked down the hall. "Jas? Wanna do me a favour?"

He looked up from the drawing he was working on. "Anything for my future sister-in-law."

"Can you take me to Christie's house?"

"Sure."

He turned on some techno music, and I immediately blamed Alice. His infectious laugh filled the car; the drive seemed to take no time while I was riding with my best friend - apart from my fiancé, of course. He stopped outside Christie's house.

"Thanks, Jasper."

"You're welcome."

"God, he's so cute!" Janette gushed.

"Where's your sister?"

"Her room."

I headed down the dark hallway and found Christie sitting on her bed, face pale, eyes wide. Automatically, I sat beside her and wrapped my arms around her.

"What's wrong?"

"Dahlia . . ."

"Yeah. Chris, what happened?"

"I . . .I-I may be pregnant."