Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

E-Mails

I woke up to a dark grey sky outside the window, rain pattering against the glass, and an empty bed. A note lay on the pillow; I brushed the sleep from my eyes.

D-
hey, beautiful. it's only 4 a.m. but I'm leaving. sorry to leave while you're sleeping, but the sooner I leave, the sooner I get back to you. or at least, that's my philosophy. I love you, and I'll be back before too long.

-Emmett


"Alice?"

"Hello."

"What's wrong?"

"Um, nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Is it Emmett?"

"No, no. Of course not."

"Are you hungry, Dahlia?" Esme questioned in a maternal tone.

"Yeah, actually, I am. Want to see how I hunt?"

Everyone laughed as I found a box of cereal, a carton of milk, a bowl, and a spoon. I sat on the couch with my breakfast - Cinnamon Toast Crunch, to be exact - and watched the actors on screen play out their lines. Unfortunately, I couldn't think about much but Emmett.

Edward whispered, "He's okay."

"I know, but I can't help but miss him." I paused before bursting out, "Okay, I feel extremely awkward."

"Why's that?"

"I'm the only one eating."

"Just pretend we already ate."

"Not easy when I know you don't even eat."

Ten minutes later, I washed out my bowl and headed to the bathroom for a shower. The others were used to my human needs; they no longer bothered me about it. Emmett had been the first to tease me: for my blushin; awkwardness when eating; cleaning myself up; going to sleep; just my overall human attributes. Then he'd gotten bored with my blushing, and now here I was, in love and engaged to him. My heart twinged at the sight of our empty bedroom. I decided to check my emails. There was one from my mother.

Dahlia, hello! We've gotten everything settled here in GA. We mis you :( Our phone number is 404 555 6837. We hope to hear from you soon. How are you doing? How is Emmett?

Love, Mom and Dad.


I smiled and typed out a response:

Mom & Dad-
Everything is going GREAT. Emmett went with Esme and Edward to visit college campuses, so they'll be gone for a few days. I think he's going to be back in about a month. He got accepted to quite a few colleges :) I'll miss him, but we've discussed it. We're both ok with the distance
The others all say hi.
I'm doing good, too. Hung out with Christie yesterday. Told her about my engagement. She's excited for me too, and yes, she and Kyle are still together. I did good in setting them up ha

Well, I'm going to go. I love you and can't wait to see you two again.

Love, Dahlia. x.