Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Legends, Part Two

"What are you doing here?" Jacob Black spat as soon as he saw me.

"I'm with Kyle and Christie." I added under my breath, "Mutt."

"Did they tell you about that?"

I almost recoiled at the venomous hiss, but I remained my stance. "Tell me about what, Mutt?"

His face cleared, and he brushed past me. I turned and saw Kyle walking toward us. Christie wasn't far behind. With a quick eye-roll, I joined the group. Jacob spoke first.

"What's up?"

"Well, these two want to hear about the Quileute legends."

Jacob's black eyes turned darker. "You told them?"

"Of course not."

"It will break the rules."

I sang out, "You already did, Jacob."

"How do you figure that?"

"Must I say it aloud?"

Christie gasped as Jacob took three angry strides toward me. I glared up into his face.

"Keep your mouth shut."

"What's going to stop me from telling them about you being on the Cullens' property?"

"I'll tell them the truth about your boyfriend."

"More like fiancé, Jake."

"You're engaged to him?"

"Yep. Would you like an invitation to the wedding?" I smirked, knowing full well I was getting on his nerves.

"Jacob, come on. Tell us."

"It'll violate the rez rules."

"You told Kyle," Christie pouted.

"Fine, fine. Twist my arm, why don't you."

We followed Jacob down to the beach, having to hike through the thick vegetation to reach sand. I sat on a the trunk of a tree that had grown at a diagonal angle.

"Remember, these are legends. They aren't usually believed by you who live in town. My great-grandfather was a tribal elder, who made a treaty with the cold ones. They are the Quileutes' greatest enemy, especially the wolves who turned into men. Werewolves. The cold ones somehow managed to only hunt animals, not preying on humans. It's still dangerous for a pale-face to be around them, regardless of them being civilised. There's always a chance of the cold ones being too thirsty or hungry to resist. According to this legend, the same cold ones who made the treaty with my great-grandfather still exist in our presence."

Christie whispered, "The Cullens?"

"Exactly."

"But they seem so human. Beautiful beyond belief, but human nonetheless."

"They're used to fitting in. They have to."

"That's a dumb legend. The Cullens are not vampires," I lied angrily.

"Are you sure about that?" Kyle questioned, and I glared at him.

"Yes, dead sure."

"I believe Jacob."

"Who cares what you believe? I'm going home."

"Dahlia, please stay."

I answered my ringing cell phone in my hand. "Hello?"

"Oh, thank God," Alice breathed.

"What?"

"I couldn't see you, and so I started to worry, especially when you haven't reappeared yet."

"I'm sorry. I'm on the rez, Mom."

"With Jacob?"

"Yes. I'm doing fine."

"Alright. Emmett's going to be relieved that you're okay."

"He's home?"

"Yes. He got here an hour ago. Now hurry up and get home."

"Yes, Mom. Tell Dad I love him."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye." I hung up and faced my friend. "Christie, can I please get a ride home?"

"Alright. Bye, Jacob. I hope I get to see you again soon."

"So do I," he replied, grinning.