Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Truth

Christie had promised to call, as had Jacob; I lay on my bed beside Emmett; his cold fingers ran through my hair. I'd taken a shower as soon as possible.

"Want to talk about what Jacob said?"

"He said he'd, oh, what was it? Imprinted?"

"Yes."

"Well, he'd imprinted on Christie."

"He feels possessive over her."

"That's what he said. Christie told me it was Kyle who had made her threaten me with exposing you all."

"Will she?"

"I highly doubt it. She wants to know if can know for sure if you are vampires or not?"

"Alice, come here, please."

He'd said it at a normal volume, as if he was holding a conversation with someone in the same room, but nonetheless, his sister danced noiselessly into our room.

"Yes?"

"Is it going to be okay if we tell Christie?"

She became still, a beautiful statue. "She won't tell anyone. She'll keep it a secret," she reassured us as she left again.

"Good. Have her over tomorrow, Dahlia. We will hunt before she arrives so there's no risk."

"Thanks."

A frozen, gentle pressure on my hand. "Anytime, darling."

"Christie, quit worrying."

"I'm meeting the love of your life's family, who may or may not be vampires."

I turned to her at the front door. "Whatever you hear here, you cannot tell anyone else. Please promise to keep it a secret."

"I swear. I've practically betrayed you enough."

"We're here!"

My fiance strolled into the room from the kitchen, and he kissed my cheek. "Hey, beautiful. Hi, Christie."

"Hi. Wow. This is your home?"

"Yeah."

"Come on. I'll give you a tour."

Christie's eyes were wide as I led her through the halls. Kitchen to dining room, living room to staircase. She gasped at the wall-sized window.

"That's huge! The view's so pretty!"

"I know. I love this house. This is Edward's room, the bathroom---"

"I can swim in that tub."

"Pretty much. I've tried. Um, Carlisle's study, the parents' room. Up one more flight. Jasper's room, Alice's, and finally, mine and Emmett's."

"Wow. Where is everybody."

"They're here."

"Oh, God. Emmett, don't sneak up on us."

"I'm sorry. Did you like the tour, Christie?"

"It was great."

"This is my father, Carlisle."

"Hi. You must be Christie."

"Yes."

"Esme, Christie's here."

I could tell Christie loved the Cullens. It was hard not to. She immediately became at ease (I strongly suspected Jasper for that); finally, Emmett herded us into the living room, and Carlisle started the whole shebang.

"Christie, you heard the Quileute legends from Jacob Black, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Jacob and his ancestors' legends are actually remarkably - yet conditionally - true."

"So . . . you are vampires?"

"Yes."