Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Sleep-Over

Christie stayed the night, and so I shared a bed with her instead of Emmett. She was still in slight shock at knowing what my soon-to-be in-laws were.

"You're not going to tell?"

"Of course not. It's kind of cool actually. So do they have any special powers? How can Carlisle be a doctor? Do they drink human blood? Aren't you kind of scared?"

"Edward can read minds."

"Really? No way!"

"Shut up," I laughed. "Yes, really. Alice can see the future - or rather, someone's decisions once they make up their mind. Jasper controls emotions, meaning if you're sad or shy, he'll make you feel happy and fuzzy inside. Carlisle can be a doctor because he's over three-hundred-years-old, and he's used to the smell of blood. It bothers him little to none now. No, they don't drink human blood. They hunt animals, hence the camping trips. And the only thing I'm scared of is failing as a wife."

She rolled over to stare at me. "You'll do great. You two love each other. I could see that tonight whenever he looked at you."

"You think so?"

"Duh, silly." She sat up suddenly. "Carlisle is over three-hundred-years-old?"

"Yes. He was born around sixteen-forty."

"For such an old man, he's really cute."

"You're weird."

"And tired," she yawned. "Night, Dahlia."

"Sleep tight."

The next morning after breakfast - waffles, eggs, and orange juice - that Edward had made, Christie went to take a shower, and I checked my e-mails again.

Dahlia-
Hello, sweetie. It's dad, obviously. The fishing here is horrible. That's what I'm doing as soon as I get to Forks, so if I'm late to the wedding, check the river. I'm just kidding.

The house is too quiet without you here. But I'll live. It's not like you were home all the time when we lived in Forks. You were usually over at the Cullens anyway. So I guess your engagement to Emmett comes as little surprise.

I love you and can't wait to see you again.
Love, Dad


I smiled and shut down the computer. Christie came into the room; I turned to face her.

"So . . ."

"It's still a safe secret."

"Thank you so much."

"And I want to be in your wedding."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

I squealed and hugged her tightly. "Thank you so much. You just made my day."