Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Permission

"Jacob Black?"

"Yes. Carlisle, he's become a really good friend. Plus, he's imprinted on Christie."

"He what?"

"Calm down, Edward," Carlisle said softly. "How long ago?"

"About mid-June."

"Two weeks have gone by. I'm shocked he hasn't asked her to live with him already."

"He can't. Kyle's still in the picture."

"Is Kyle going to tell anyone?"

Alice went motionless, and we all hesitated. When she opened her eyes, fear and panic were evident in the butterscotch irises.

"We'll stop him," Edward growled, and I stood, protesting, "No."

"Dahlia, he's going to ruin our lives."

"You guys can't just leave me."

"We'll be back."

Emmett gave me a swift kiss and grabbed my cell phone. I reached for it, but Alice and Jasper held me back.

"Hell, Jacob. It's Emmett. Yes, I'm aware. Is Kyle there? No? We're stopping him. If he tells everyone about us, he'll inadvertently tell everyone about you. Alright. Thank you." He hung up. "He's going to find Kyle. Dahlia, why are you crying?"

"Because you're all going on a hunt for some human who isn't worth the time of day."

"We're not leaving."

"I'm going for a walk."

"Dahlia ---"

"Just leave me alone please."

The forest was quiet as I walked beneath the green canopies of the trees. I could hear the river flowing by; I sighed and sat on the wet ground. A twig snapped; I got a strange sense of deja vu.

"You really shouldn't be marrying a vampire, Dahlia. I knew this would happen. That's why I asked you to Prom."

"Kyle, I don't want to hear it."

"Too bad. You should've went to Georgia with your parents."

"Get away from her."

I glanced behind Kyle and saw Jacob Black and a group of Quileute boys. The one who'd spoken appeared to be about nineteen, but the others ranged from around fourteen to seventeen. Carlisle's voice, warm and familiar, rang out through the air.

"Even though you're on our land, Sam, we'll let it slide."

"Thanks, Dr. Cullen. We're all united in this."

"Kyle, I suggest you step away from Dahlia."

I was afraid to turn around and look at Emmett, but I did. His face was tense, and his eyes, dark. I staggered to my feet.

"Dahlia, go back to the house."

"But---"

"Just go. Please, for my sake and sanity."

I nodded and headed out of the forest. With a quick nod to Edward and Emmett, Esme gathered me into her arms and ran toward the home. Apparently, this had been set up previously. She set me on the couch; I watched as she pressed a concealed switch. The house groaned heavily as the windows were covered.

"Esme, what's happening."

"We don't know exactly what Kyle is, but he's hell-bent on destroying us. Sh, dear, it's fine."

Another loud rumble filled the air, muffled by the distance and covered windows. I curled up on the sofa and waited for my family to come back.

"He got away and haded toward the reservation. He can't have gone far, so we'll try to catch up to him," Alice reported, and Emmett asked, "How's Dahlia?"

"She finally fell asleep not too long ago."

When I opened my eyes, the dazzling lights of the house blinded me. I blinked and stretched. Emmett was sitting on the floor in front of hte couch; his eyes snapped to my face.

"Hey, beautiful."

"Where's Kyle?"

"He's going to the reservation."

"Christie! Is she going to be okay?"

"Jasper is bringing her here."

"Kyle's deranged," I whispered.

"That's why he needs to be stopped."

"Fine. Do what you need. But promise me one thing."

"Anything."

"It'll be before our wedding, and you don't brag about it in front of me."

"Of course."

He pressed his cold lips to mine, and I murmured against his mouth, "I love you. Be safe."

"I will. I love you, too."