Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Fatherly Conversations

"Mom, Dad!"

"Dahlia, darling! Hello, Emmett."

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Payne."

"Just call us James and Emily."

"You must be jet-lagged. We'll show you your room."

My mother kissed me once on the cheek before following my fiance up to Jasper's room. It'd been decided that morning that Jas and Emmett were sharing a room; Alice and I were in hers. We'd moved my bed in Jasper's room; we all were "sleeping" (term used lightly in three-fourths of the group) on the couches.

My parents appeared stunned by awe at the size and beauty of the Cullens' home. I grinned and sat on the couch in the living room. Edward was playing the piano softly; Alice was out with Jasper, doing last-minute hunting; and Carlisle was the hospital. Christie tossed the remote at me and rose to her feet.

"Esme's taking me down to the rez."

"To see Jacob?" I teased.

"Yes."

"What's going on between you two?"

"He . . . Nothing."

"Yeah, sure. That blush on your face backs up your story."

"Shut up, Dahlia."

She was smiling; I turned my head to call out, "Be here at eight tomorrow morning. We have to be ready by eleven."

"Three hours?"

"You'll have to calm me down."

Her smirk was cheeky, and she waved before running out to Esme's blue Mustang. The corner of Edward's mouth was uplifted into his signature crooked smile.

"Nervous?"

"I'm getting married at the age of eighteen tomorrow. Yes, I'm nervous.

"Don't be. It'll be okay."

"What will?"

"Hey, Emmett. Nothing."

"Nothing will be okay?"

"That's not what I meant. I mean, we were talking about private matters."

"I can't wait to see you in your dress."

"You mean Edward actually has not told you what my dress looks like?"

"Nope. He won't even tell me what the bridesmaids are wearing."

"I made a promise to the beautiful lady, and I'm a man of my word."

"More like a boy," I quipped, and Edward glared. "Oooh, scary."

"Dahlia?"

"Yes, Daddy?"

"Come take a walk with me."

"Okay."

"We'll be listening," Emmett whispered just for me to hear.

I pulled the door shut behind my father and me. "What's wrong, Dad?"

"Nothing's wrong, exactly. We need to talk before I have to give you away."

"Okay?"

"If you and Emmett ever fight, know that our door is always open for you to come stay for awhile."

"Are you banking on it?"

"No. It's just that your mother and I argued quite a bit in the first year of our marriage. And with you in school, it'll be even more stressful on you, juggling a married life and an education. I'm trying to give you an option for wh-if you fight."

"Thank you, Daddy." I took a deep breath. "Dad, please be honest. Do you think I'm making a mistake?"

"Of course not. I trust Emmett and know he'll take care of you to the best of his ability. Besides, if I'd thought this whole marriage business between you and two was a mistake, I would've objected the moment he proposed, dragged you to Georgia, and kept you under lock and key so you never saw or heard from them again."

"Thanks . . . I think."

He chuckled. "You've always been mature for your age, and it's part of life to watch your children grow up and get married, but it's going to be hard giving you away. You're my only daughter, my baby girl."

"I'll always be your baby." I sniffed back my tears. "Now did you want to go fishing?"

"Oh, yes, I did."

"Come on. It's about time I saw what the fuss is about."