Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Forever?

Whoever said fishing was fun has obviously never spent four hours on the river, watching the water as it flowed by, but catching no fish. To my credit, I didn't complain, kept my tone light and even, and avoided looking surly or bored.My father was none the less to how I truly felt.

My mother glanced up from where she was polishing silver with Esme. "How was fishing?"

"Fun, but it's not exactly my thing," I admitted.

"I feel wretched."

"Why?"

"Because your father and I have taken over your bed."

"Don't worry about it. Alice and I are comfortable enough sharing the futon in her room."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Can I help?"

"No, you may not. The bride and groom should be resting up for the wedding tomorrow."

"Yes, ma'ams."

Both women chuckled and shoved me to the living room. Edward had disappeared to be replaced with Alice and Jasper. Emmett was lying on the couch, eyes trained on the television, but he made room for me to lie in front of him.

"Fun?" he questions, a teasing smirk on his face.

"Shush. It gave me father-daughter time."

"That's good."

"I can't believe in less than twnety-four hours time, I'll be your wife, a Cullen.

"It has to be an extremely good dream for me."

"Same for me. Let's pray to never wake up from this incredible fantasy."

"I agree." His frozen lips lingered on my neck for a few tender moments, feeling where the blood pulsed hottest. "It's amazing."

"What is?"

"I love the scent of you so much, but it's so easy for me to be myself - or at least, the less-dangerous, more-human side of me."

"Are you ready for this?"

"If we don't wed tomorrow, we'll only be putting off the inevitable."

"Feelings change."

"Not the ones I hold for you." He paused for a fraction of a second. "Unless you're implying . . ."

"My feelings for you will forever remain the same."

"Forever's a long time."

"I'm willing to wait."

He groaned lightly, his mouth close behind my left ear. "Dahlia . . . "

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No, but you make it hard to not just run away and elope now."

"Or even to turn me?"

I could feel him tense up; his arm around my waist stiffened. Jasper glanced over at us, but Alice kept reading the book in her hands. My fiance exhaled sharply.

"We'll talk about this later."

"Fine. I won't forget, though."

"Fine," he snapped.