Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Two Little Words

"Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, G---"

"Dahlia, calm down."

"Oh, God."

"C'mon. Get your dress on."

"I'm so scared."

"Don't be."

"What if Emmett doesn't love me anymore? What if, after this, he changes his mind? What if he leaves me at the altar?"

"Mrs. Payne, Esme? Help?"

Alice joined the two women in my room, and my mother pulled me to my feet. Esme held up my dress. I drew in a steadying breath and worked on calming my nerves. The dress slid on easily and settled the way it was supposed to. The white silk was trimmed in a very pale blue, and baby-blue jewels decorated the bottom and the hem of the bodice. Thankfully, there was no train to the gown. My hair and makeup had already been done, courtesy of Alice. My soon-to-be sister-in-law had applied mascara and eyeliner, playing up the hazel and golden-brown specks in my irises. Christie had chosen the deep pink lip-plumping gloss.

"You're so gorgeous," my mother whispered. "You all are."

Alice and Christie's dresses were baby-blue and mid-calf. White mesh worked as straps; their feet bore white heels that had sky-blue jewels emblazoned on the straps. Their bouquets consisted of white carnations and bluebells - my mother had brought them from Georgia, in a cooler to preserve the freshness. Alice's black pixie-cut hair was tamed yet still spiked in every direction, and Christie's blonde hair - having been cut only two days before - accentuated her round face. Esme held up the veil.

"Would you like to do the honours, Emily?"

"Of course."

Tears were rolling down Emily Lynn Payne's cheeks as she slid the headband over my hair.

"Who gives this young woman away?"

"Her mother and I do."

With that, my father patted my hand and stepped back. Emmett smiled at me; I took my place beside him. The minister began the ceremony, and finally, it was time for vows. Emmett said his first.

"Dahlia, you're the greatest thing in my life, and I never could've seen myself loving anyone as much as I love you. I don't want to ever lose you. You are my heart, my soul, my life."

I swallowed my tears. "Emmett, you make me happier than I thought a person could possibly be. I figured I'd have to spend half my life searching for the one I wanted to spend forever with, yet you were right there in front of me for the past three and a half years. I love you more than anything else in this world. You will forever hold my heart in your hands."

With two little words, I became Mrs. Emmett Cullen.