Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Perfection

"So has Emmett decided to turn you or not?" Christie asked as we drove to the reservation.

"I don't know. He won't discuss it with me."

"He closes like a book, huh?"

"Yes. It irritates me to no end to have to stay in the dark. After all, this is my life we're talking about."

"I'd demand him to tell me."

"Have you ever tried demanding a vampire to tell you something?"

"Well, no. I fell for a rez boy."

"Has he . . ."

"He's told me everything. He's imprinted on me, and he's a werewolf. So it's terribly dangerous for him to be around me."

"Almost like me, except my husband's a vampire, not a dog. "

She laughed and turned into the entrance of the reservation. Jacob met us at his house: Two of his friends stood there beside him. We made introductions and then headed over to the bonfire. Jacob pulled me over to the side.

"Tell your husband that my dad's watching you all. The rough translation is if you're turned into a blood-sucking leech around here, you'll be exposed."

"But if it happens somewhere else . . ."

"It's not on our land. Although it must not be a Cullen - or a Hale - who does it. It's got to be someone else."

He gave me a hinting look, and I grinned. "Tanya or her family."

"Eactly. Remember. I didn't give you the loop-hole."

"OF course not. You know, you're not half-bad."

"Neither are you . . . once you get past the smell."

"The Cullens say the same thing about the smell being horrible every time Christie or I hang out with you."

"Huh. Who knew? Well, come on. Let's join the party."

I plopped down on Alice's couch and watched her turn the pages of a fashion magazine. Her eyes flitted over the pictures idly. Finally, her wind-chime voice filled the air.

"Are you going to tell me what you're thinking, or do I have to guess?"

"Has Emmett made a decision about making me one of you?"

"He has."

"Is he going to?"

"Ask him."

"He won't talk to me about it."

"Dahlia, don't take this the wrong way, okay? I want you to be changed, believe me, I do. But he has his reasons for his reservations. He doesn't want you to have to go through the pain. Plus, what if he loses control and kills you instead?"

"Who says it has to be him?"

"Carlisle won't do anything to upset him. Nor will Esme, Edward, Jasper, or I."

"It doesn't have to be you guys either. Jacob gave me an idea while I was on the reservation tonight."

"What was that?"

"Well, the treaty says a human can't be bitten by a Cullen - or a Hale."

"Then who else?"

"Next year, in Denali, Tanya or one of her family members can do it. Carlisle and Emmett - and even you all - will be there to witness it. That way, the treaty isn't violated, and I become one of you."

"Dahlia Rose Payne, that is the best idea I've ever heard."

"Don't sound so surprised. It's slightly insulting to my intelligence."

"Come on. We have to tell the others."

Everyone gathered around the dining table, all but three of us confused as to the reason behind the meeting. I cleared my throat and rose to my feet.

"As you all know, I was down at the reservation tonight. While there, Jacob Black gave me 'the best idea.'"

And so I repeated what I'd told Alice. The faces staring back at me were either mildly shocked, approving, or reproachful. Guess who wasn't happy.

"I believe it will work," Carlisle announced. "We'll be there in order to stop anything from going awry."

"OI'd love to have you as one of us, though I already think of you as a daughter."

Count on Esme to make me feel loved. Jasper was next.

"Well, yes. It'd be great to have a sister, especially one who doesn't blush."

"You already know my thoughts," Alice sang.

Edward sighed, "Emmett, it's our only hope. We can't do it, and you know you want Dahlia to live forever."

"Fine. I guess you get your way."

Thanfully, my husband was smiling. I kissed him and whispered,

"How about on our one-year anniversary?"

"Sounds perfect."

Suddenly, I realised, as I gazed around at my new family, that I couldn't wait for our one-year anniversary. I'd be gratuated, with the Cullen/Hale clan, and a vampire. How lucky could I get? My only worry at that moment was: is this just a dream? If so, when will I wake up?
♠ ♠ ♠
the end

*sniffs* I loved this story. I hope you like the ending, even though I personally think it sucked.

♥♥♥