Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Betting On Alice

Two in the morning on Monday caught me still awake and staring at the ceiling. I rolled over and watched the moon crawl across the sky. I must have fallen asleep for the next thing I knew, my alarm clock was screaming in my ear. I reached around and pressed snooze.

"Hey, sweetie. Time to get up."

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Do I have to go to school?"

"Yes, Dahlia. Get up and get dressed. Oh, your friends will be here to give you a ride to school."

"Great."

My mother shut the door, and I got up to choose an outfit. Finally, I pulled out a black tank-top, camouflage pants, and an olive-green zip-up hoodie. I slid a studded belt through the loops on my pants and laced up my hiking boots.

"Come on, Dahlia! Your friends are here!"

I glanced out the window and saw the Jeep, Emmett standing in the back. Rain was drizzling, so I grabbed his jacket, pulling it on as I ran down the hall to the bathroom. I quickly brushed my teeth and pulled my hair into a sloppy bun. Emmett rolled his eyes when I reached the vehicle.

"Finally."

"Shut up."

"Hold on. It's going to be a slightly . . . bumpy ride."

Edward slammed on the gas pedal, and the Jeep peeled away from my house. My knuckles turned white; I was clutching onto the top of the car. Emmett pulled me into his chest and held me tightly, loosening my fingers. I turned, wrapped my arms around him, and buried my face in his chest. He tensed, and, belatedly, I realised why. The car slowed to an acceptable speed and turned into the school's parking lot. Emmett jumped out quickly and disappeared into the school.

"He's not very strong."

"I know, but. . . it's not easy on me, either."

Edard hugged me. "It'll be okay. I'm betting on Alice."