Something Different

Awkward...

I kept my eyes on my feet as I sped past the group, but out of the corner of my eye I saw the others snap their heads towards me. They all knew. Groan.

The rest of the morning, I thanked my lucky stars every time I walked into a classroom and no vampire was sitting in a desk. I would have died knowing they were sitting in the same room with me, wanting to taste me, wanting to figure me out.

In my opinion, vampires, even William, are too suspicious of everything. They see themselves as so high and mighty, so whenever something strange comes around, they have to inspect just to make sure there is no threat to their throne. Call it survival, I call it conceited.

But there was an exception to the rule. This group had to be different. Going to school around humans? Not even my grandfather would put himself through the temptation; though being around me was no question – there was no way he would let himself kill his family. It seemed so selfless, and I have never considered putting vampire and selfless in a sentence together.

I sat through my classes, trying to keep my anxiety down by jiggling my foot until it felt like it was going to fall off and biting my pencil like a crazed beaver.

I was so afraid they were going to investigate me, pull me out of the crowd and threaten me. But then again, I suddenly thought, they were probably afraid of anyone investigating them. I could maybe get them to leave town with black mail? Or a threat?

I pondered my options until lunch, where I found Bella waving feverishly across the cafeteria, looking awkward among babbling kids. I smiled and waved, not noticing the whole cafeteria going silent.

Amidst her was a snooty girl, Jessica, checking her face in a mirror, and a kid named Mike who kept taking a quick glance at Bella every chance he got. It was actually kind of funny how every new thing to these students was like a cool toy on Christmas morning. But I guess that's the only entertainment they really had in this sad excuse for a town.

“I see you found some friends,” I said as I walked up to the table, smiling to Bella.

Bella smiled back, looking grateful; she must had been suffering, trying to act like she was happy. With a feeble smile and wave, I checked out the rest of the table, and lost my smile in a blink of an eye. No one else was smiling, either.

They were just staring.

No one had bothered to notice the other toy when they could be so preoccupied with just one.

Mike coughed in surprise and let his mouth hang open like a dog, and Jessica looked me up and down with an evil eye. Then I noticed the rest of the cafeteria staring.

I was suddenly feeling very awkward.

I glanced down, curious to know what would make a library-worthy silence in the cafeteria. I had tried my hardest this morning to seem as normal, un-strange, and un-powers as possible.

But then, I held myself back from laughing hysterically as I realized that I truly had been mistaken in front of the mirror. Normal was just not possible.

Off of my silver necklace hung my vial of clear anti-venom- a medicine I always carried around me- and my key to my secret room. Just a necklace, nothing strange.

My shoes were perfectly normal – just some black flats – and my plain black pea coat hung loosely from my fingers.

I wore high-waisted black shorts with dark red tights, and, out of my sense of my humor, a ratty Metallica shirt that had on it bloody skeleton zombies pillaging a town. That's probably where I went wrong.

I thought I had found some irony in the outfit, chuckling as I put it on in the morning; but I realized, with a smirk, that everyone else probably thought it was creepy. Except for Bella, of course. She really didn’t care about anything, I figured out.

My hair was tied back in a loose braid down my back, the end of the braid stopping at my waist. It was nothing really out of the ordinary, except for the fact that my hair was white.

No, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking regular, bleached white hair; but mine is white as snow, as paper, as vampire teeth. I used to have dark black hair when I was little, which is peculiar; and I still can’t decide if the hair change was due to a potion accident, or some genetically-received premature grayness.

And, to add the cherry on top, there were my eyes. Even I would agree that they were quite unsettling – in the mirror I can never tell which one to stare at. My left eye color was given to me by my mother: a light blue like the morning sky.

But, oddly enough, I have no idea where my right eye color came from; it is a blackish brown, like the deepest mahogany, like thick blood. You’d think I was half-vampire.

And as my appearance in the eyes of a normal person flashed in my mind for a split second, I realized I was strange. Very strange.

I glanced up, feeling slightly attacked with all the stares. Mumbles started rippling like small waves in a pond around tables.

Mike coughed. All Bella could think of to do was say, “Umm…” How intelligent.

God, please get me out of here, I thought with an inward sob, but then I caught eyes with Lonely Boy. He was sitting at a table with the rest of his buddies, an uneaten apple on his tray. He was leaning forward towards me, his hands clasped very tightly.

Seriously, how can you stand this? It was amazing what he was putting himself through. His blonde friend was in obvious pain, but his eyes were on me too, along with the rest of the gang. I looked back at Lonely Boy.

He was staring at me so intently it almost looked like a glare. His eyes seemed to penetrate past me, like there was something deeper he could see other than just my appearance. It felt violating.

Please, stop staring, I begged in my head, and, to my relief, he lowered his glare immediately to the table like a scolded puppy. But he still looked confused.

Without a second thought, I looked back towards the table, catching eyes this time with Bella. I tried to mentally tell her, this is the most awkward thing I have ever experienced. She seemed to understand, nodding her head.

“Um,” I began, looking at everyone else near me and speaking directly to really no one, “I need to go to the office and check something with…my schedule. I’ll see you next period, Bella.” My wave was half-hearted as I rushed away.