Adalia

JUST IMAGINE

I sat, my back leaned against the door, counting each leaf that swept by in front of my feet. I'd been waiting for at least eight hours and was losing all patience. I felt like a complete moron, waiting for all those dragging hours. At this point, I felt it would have been better if I would have just gone to work. But I knew I would have ended up being endlessly questioned by everyone and that would have been unbearable. Josie's questioning would be more than enough, because I knew that's exactly what would end up happening in just a matter of minutes. At least I hoped minutes, because I was sick of being stuck out here.

"10, 11, no was it 12? Fuck, I lost count," I sighed as I kicked my feet on the ground in frustration.

"Okay, let's try again," I muttered as I focused on looking ahead for more leaves.

Suddenly, two white Nikes made their way in front of me. I hesitantly looked up.

"Well, look who it is. Mrs. I go out at night, turn my phone off, and don't bother showing up to work the next morning," Josie sarcastically chuckled as she tossed her keys back and forth in her hands.

"Ugh, just let me in."

"Not until you tell me exactly what went on last night. You said you'd be back around midnight, at the latest. I never got a call from you, or anything. How much fun did you have?" She said, glaring at me.

"Can you please just let me in? I've been sitting out here all day," I insisted.

"Don't you have a key? Why were you out here, waiting for so long?"

"I forgot the damn thing, so I ended up stuck out here all day," I impatiently sighed.

"Since when?"

"Like ten in the morning, or so?"

"What?! Holy shit, that's a long time! And you're still wearing what you wore last night. And your hair's all over the place, too. You look like shit, Adalia," She said as she nodded.

"Thank you for the lovely compliments. Now really, let me inside. I'm seriously sick of being out here. Plus, I'm starving," I muttered and rolled my eyes.

"Okay, fine. Just because you're my friend, and I'm actually starting to feel kind of sorry for you. Move, so I can unlock the door," She said as she helped me stand up.

"So, what happened last night? Really, because I completely lost contact with you. Why was your phone off?" Josie questioned as she switched the lights on and set her keys down.

"Okay, you know what? I'm really wiped out right now and all I want to do is take a nice, long shower and eat something. So yeah, can you handle waiting a bit for my answer?"

Josie stood, looking at her watch and rapidly tapping her foot on the ground.

"Okay, whatever. Go do what you have to do, and we'll talk later, I guess," She sighed.

"You'll end up knowing what happened anyway, because even if I didn't tell you, you'd find out anyway."

"What do you mean? How would I find out?" She asked as she stared into my face for any signs of what might have happened.

"But, I'm going to tell you, so don't worry. Now, I'm off to take a shower. Bye," I said as I walked away.

I was scared of what Josie's reaction to my stupid actions would be. I planned on dragging things out as much as I could.

"So, you still hungry?" Josie asked as she washed dishes.

"No, not anymore. Thanks," I mumbled as I got up.

"Whoa, wait. Where are you going?"

"To sit and rest, why?" I asked, as if oblivious.

"You still haven't told me what went on last night," She said as she dried her soapy hands off with a towel.

"Oh, that! Yeah, that's right," I said while nervously cracking my knuckles.

"You're cracking your knuckles," Josie suddenly said.

"Oh, yeah. And?"

"You always do that when you're nervous. Plus, you're ears are all red. Are you scared to tell me what it is you and Ian did last night? Was it that bad?" She questioned, eyeing me from head to toe.

"Just promise me you're not gonna flip out or anything when I tell you, okay?"

"Damn, then it must be bad then," She chuckled.

"It isn't funny either, so stop laughing," I muttered.

"Okay, fine. Just tell me already," She impatiently sighed and shook my knee.

"I uh, got... married."

"What? To who? Oh come on, Adalia!" She hysterically laughed.

"That's ridiculous! You, married?! Oh, shut up. Now tell me what really went on last night. You're so funny," She said and smacked my knee.

I abruptly stood up and started anxiously pacing back and forth.

"What are you doing, Adalia? Come, sit and tell me what really happened," Josie called out.

"That's what really happened! I'm not lying!" I shot out as I continued pacing.

Josie then got up and took firm hold of my shoulders, stopping me in place.

"You got what?!"

"Married! I've only said it three times!"

"Huh? To who?!"

"Who else? To Ian, of course!"

"What?! How did this happen?!" She said as she shook me.

"By happening. Now let me go so I can explain things better," I said and slipped out of her hysterical grasp.

"Okay, so basically, what happened is, Ian got me drunk and I obliviously complied to his marriage proposal. Before I knew it, we were in front of some priest guy. And yeah, we got married," I sighed, feeling the knots form at the base of my stomach.

"He got you drunk, or you simply voluntarily got drunk and complied because you're naive?" Josie said as she nodded with annoyance.

"Okay, I'll admit it; I was very stupid to have drank that much, but we were handcuffed and there was nothing else to do, so--"

"Whoa, hang on; handcuffed? Just what the Hell were you two up to last night?" Josie cut me off.

"It's a really long story. You see, Ian handcuffed me to his wrist because I wanted to leave. We stayed attached to each other for the longest time because he decided to be an ass and flushed the key down the damn toilet. So yeah, you basically know the rest. Oh yeah, I almost drowned, too."

"Okay, first of all; where did he take you to?"

"Some weird attic place. It was really nice," I said, picturing the attic all over again.

"Wait, nearly drowned? How?!"

"We went to the beach and Ian dropped me in the water. You know, I was drunk and disoriented, so I swallowed all this water."

"Damn, a lot happened. I don't even know what to tell you. All I can say is, I don't have a good feeling about this situation," She muttered.

"Well, I'm just kind of confused right now," I suddenly began.

"What do you mean? Confused about what you feel for Ian? Because if you are, you can anul the wedding, or something. Are you even sure it's legitimate?"

"Yeah, it is. I saw the documents. Plus, I do remember most of what went down. I wasn't that wasted."

"Wasted enough to unconsciously go through with it," She sarcastically chuckled.

"Shut up. I mean, I guess I went through with it for a reason. I wasn't totally oblivious to what went on, but..." I trailed off.

"But what? Finish what you were saying," Josie eagerly said.

"But... I guess I went through with it because deep down, that's what I wanted," I said, lowering my voice more with each word until it was a faint whisper.

"So what you're saying is, you're actually glad you got married to that guy you barely know in that strange ass situation?" Josie incredulously asked.

"Hey, maybe it's love," I retorted.

"Maybe? See, you're not even sure about what you feel for this guy!"

"Well, how about you let me find out on my own?" I shot back.

"What do you mean, on your own?" Josie asked, a thin line forming between her lips.

"You'll see what I mean, perhaps tomorrow morning. It's my day off, so it will work out."

"Yeah, that's right; it's your day off. But it really shouldn't be since you decided to totally skip work and go off and get married to a guy you barely know!"

"You know what? I'm tired and I'm going to bed. See you in the morning," I angrily muttered and walked off to my room, slamming the door in anger.

Or was it frustration? Frustration, because deep down, I knew Josie was somewhat right in her assumptions and how deep down, I was feeling really stupid for doing what I did?

"But I love Ian!" I exclaimed and threw myself back on my bed.

I just wanted to forget about things for now and sleep on it. Tomorrow morning would most likely lead me to my fate.

"Adalia! Hey, there's a car parked in front of our apartment. I don't recognize it, but I'm guessing you might!" Josie called out from the living room.

Oh, I knew exactly who it was, waiting for me out there.

"Okay, be out in a minute!" I called out in response.

I then trudged out of the room, my shoulder slumped from the weight.

"Yeah, take a look because I don't--" Josie abruptly stopped as she took a look at me.

I set the suitcase down and looked out the window. Ian took notice of me and let out two sharp honks, flashing that perfect grin of his.

"Yeah, that's Ian. He's waiting for me," I sighed.

"What? Waiting for you? For what?"

"To go with him and--"

"And what's that suitcase for, by the way?" Josie shot out as she pointed.

"I told you you'd see what I meant this morning. So you can now infer what I'm about to do since you saw both Ian's car and my suitcase," I dryly responded.

"You're leaving?! With him?! Please tell me it's just gonna be temporary and you don't seriously plan on living with that guy!" Josie shrieked as she looked back out the window.

"Well, he is my husband, Josie. I don't exactly know what's gonna happen from here on out, since Ian's in a band and they tour around the world and all."

"Yes, exactly my point. You do realize he's gonna want to take you some place far away from here and perhaps, never let you come back, right?!" She exclaimed as she anxiously rubbed my shoulders.

"Yeah, I thought about that. I really don't know how my life will turn out. I'll just have to imagine. But hey, I'll continuously call you, and I'll still go to work," I reassured.

"That's if he actually let's you stay in Seattle! Shit, I'm probably never gonna see you again. do you realize that?!" She shot out, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Oh, you don't know that."

"Neither do you, you idiot!" She yelled, now squeezing my shoulders.

Another two sharp honks suddenly came into play.

"Well, he's waiting. I have to go," I said and hugged her.

"Tell Kim, Dana, and Paula I'll get in touch with them shortly. And also, in touch with you, of course. Chances are, you'll see me at work tomorrow."

"Oh, Annie's most likely furious with you!" She chuckled, more tears pouring down her cheeks.

"I know! Shit, I forgot about her! Anyway, I'll most likely call you tonight, okay? So expect that," I said before giving her one last hug and making my way out the door.

As I walked towards Ian's car, I kept shooting glances back to the apartment. Josie stood, wearily watching and endlessly nodding her head. I knocked on Ian's car door window and showed him my suitcase. He instantly got out of the car and embraced me in a tight bear hug, causing my suitcase to fall beside me. He kissed me at least 100 times. I lost count at 15.

"You showed up," I said, breathlessly.

"Yes, of course. And you have a suitcase!"

"Yeah, well you did say you were coming for me this morning," I uneasily chuckled.

"Are you okay? You seem a little I don't know, uneasy?" Ian questioned, concern in his vibrant eyes.

"Oh, no. I'm just kind of bummed about leaving Josie," I said as I looked down.

He lifted my face gently up.

"You can always keep in touch with her and still see her regularly. I want you to know that," He reassured me.

"I hope so."

"Alright, so you're ready to go now?"

"Yes, I'm ready."

He took my suitcase from my hand and set it on top of the back seat. He then walked around to the right side of the car, opening the car door for me.

"Thanks," I mumbled and got in.

He then quickly got in the driver's side and pulled away from the parking lot. My eyes remained glued to my apartment. From where we were, I could still see Josie, sadly peering out the window. I sullenly waved and sat silent.

"Aren't you gonna ask where it is we are going?" Ian suddenly asked.

"Oh, yeah. Guess I kind of forgot that, didn't I? So, where are we going?"

"That, you'll find out very shortly," He said as he laced his fingers with mine.

I wasn't sure I wanted to find out. I remained silent, watching the cars pass and get passed by, wondering what my life was going to be like from here on out.

"I actually have a question for you, Adalia," Ian suddenly began.

"Mm? What is it?"

"Would you like to go on tour with me?"

I was already starting to picture what life with Ian would be like. Touring; I kind of liked the idea...

~TO BE CONTINUED. :]]
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you all think? Hope it was worth the wait.

Comment, tell me what you think!

And if you could spread the word to any of your friends abut THIS story, I'd really appreciate it. That is, if you actually like it... for real, of course. Thanxxx.

I'm currently working on a new story as well. Already on the 3rd chapter of it. That one should be posted by maybe, June. I aim for that, at least.