We Signed Our Life Away

003

I awoke with a smile on my severely pale face; something I wasn’t expecting to do until Dan go back. There was, as always, that nagging thought in the back of my mind.

Silly girl. It’ll just be some horny thirteen-year-old boy.

But still the smile was unable to disappear from my face because somehow I knew, that person was going to change my dismal holidays.

I dragged my weary body out of my cosy bed and into the boiling shower, giving my hair a quick, well-needed wash before slipping on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt from a pile of freshly clean clothes, courtesy of my amazing mother. I slipped on my slippers before heading into the mounting chaos downstairs.

When I entered the kitchen it was surprisingly calm. The only sounds were the humming of our ancient fridge and gurgling sounds from Josie who mum was feeding. Catching mums attention, I raised my eyebrows at her.

“Your father was called into work early and Sean is out with Mal and Tom for the day so it’s just going to be us three,” mum smiled.

“Oh. Do you have anything planned?” I asked as I searched through our cupboards.

“I thought we could introduce ourselves to the new neighbours across the road. They just moved into the Miller’s house,” she replied, ruffling Josie’s mass of curls atop of her head.

“Cool,” I nodded.

“Good lord mum, we don’t live in fuckin’ Africa!” I exclaimed after searching through every cupboard and only finding jars of out of date baby food, three extremely brown bananas and a can of chocolate flavoured cream corn that had ‘Josie’ written on it.

“Language, Parker!” Mum yelled, covering Josie’s ears.

“Because she hasn’t heard it before,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“Honestly. Have a look in my purse. I think I have some money in there. Go buy yourself a muffin and some OJ,” mum said before going back to feeding a now giggling Josie.

“Thanks ma,” I grinned, snatching the money and fleeing before she changed her mind.

I walked casually down to the local service station where I picked up a blueberry muffin and some apple juice. It just so happened that my cousin, Eric, was working that morning. Ding ding ding. I predict a discount.

“Hey Eric,” I yawned, handing him a few notes.

“Parker. It’s been busy so… 20% off,” he chuckled, taking my money and giving me my change.

“Best cousin ever, no?” I smiled, grabbing my muffin and juice and skipping home.

As I reached my house I had a quick perv at the new neighbours. I could see in their kitchen window, which let me see the tall lady, again, and another figure that looked very familiar. It couldn’t be the person I was waving to yesterday? I decided that I’d find out soon enough so I headed back into my house to find mum trying to put a screaming Josie into a summer dress.

“Hey ma!” I screamed, sculling the rest of the juice before running upstairs to brush my teeth and hair.

“Parker, love. We’re going in ten!” she yelled back over the havoc.

Upon hearing this I rammed the muffin in my mouth, turned on my hair straightener and went brush my teeth and slap on some makeup. After I had finished in the bathroom I ran the straightener through my hair, changed from my jandals into some flats and grabbed my phone of the chest of drawers.

“You look lovely,” my mother smiled as she held Josie’s hand and made her walk across the street to the new neighbours.

A few knocks on the door later and we were being greeted by the most gorgeous woman ever. She had vibrant blue eyes that pierced the crisp morning air, her dark brown hair fell into neat curls around her shoulders and her smile was as warm as the sun.

“Hello! I’m Carina. I live across the road. These are my daughters, Parker and Josie. Just thought we’d welcome you to the neighbourhood,” my mother smiled, her eyes lighting up.

“Pleasure to meet you, Carina,” she smiled, tracing her finger down Josie’s arm,” I’m Donna. Just moved here from North London with my husband and two sons. It so beautiful here! I regret not moving sooner.”

“Aye, it is,” my mother agreed.

“Say, Parker is it? How old are you, love?” Donna asked me.

“Sixteen. Seventeen in a few months,” I replied politely.

“Wonderful! My son, Oliver, is just your age. In fact, just a minute,” she excused herself. “Oliver? Oliver! Get down here NOW! There’s someone I’d like you to meet.”

“Mu-um!” I heard a voice yell.

“Oliver!” she warned and I immediately heard stairs squeaking and a tall figure appear at the bottom of the stairs.

“Carina, Parker, Josie. This is my son, Oliver,” she smiled.

“’Lo,” he mumbled to his feet, obviously uncomfortable.

“Oliver, this is Carina, Parker and Josie. They live across the road,” Donna continued before sighing. “Parker is sixteen too.”

At this, Oliver’s head shot up and my eyes widened. He had the same shadowy brown hair as his mother but he didn’t have her ice blue eyes. Instead he had hazel eyes that made me melt. Just one look and I could’ve fainted but I didn’t. That would make me look like a downright twat. As I looked into his eyes I noticed him staring at me. And not at my boobs. His eyes caught mine and I smiled shyly before darting my eyes around the kitchen.

“Say, how would you like to come in for a coffee?” Donna asked and my mother instantly agreed. I knew they’d get along well.

“Oliver? How about you take Parker to your room and have a wee chitchat, no? Donna suggested as she kissed Josie on the cheek, making her giggle with surprise.

“Whatever,” he mumbled before trudging back up the stairs to what I assumed was his room.

I followed him in silence. Once I got to the landing I realised that his house had the same layout as mine, which meant it was his room that was facing mine. It was him that I’d been waving to.

He left his door open so I assumed he didn’t care whether I came in or not. I did, of course. When I entered his room I realised it was going to be tough considering his room was just like mine: messy, chaotic and disorganized. A mixture of dirty and clean clothes lined the floor and then it struck me. This guy moved in yesterday and already his room was a dump. Wow.

“Um, hi?” I said, standing in the doorway.

“Hey. I’m Oli,” he said and I noticed him sitting on a desk in the far corner of his room. “You can come in y’ know. There ain’t nothin’ in ‘ere that’ll bite your toes off.”

“Oh, thanks. I was just admiring your room. You moved in yesterday, no?” I asked, wading my way through masses of clothes to his desk where I propped myself up next to him.

“Yup.”

“It’s just, it took me sixteen years to get my room to this point and you manage it in one day? Kudos, dude.”

“Ha-ha. I don’t pack. I just jam it all into one box then when I arrive I just dump it on the floor. Ma hates it but it makes it easy to find all my shit,” he shrugged.

“Makes perfect sense,” I agreed, scanning his room.

My eyes fell upon an obviously treasured CD collection beside his bed. It was the only tidy thing in the whole room and I couldn’t resist myself. I hopped off the dresser and made my way towards the CD rack. Treasured it was seeing as everything was alphabetised. I scanned the CD’s until my eyes fell upon a few of my favourites.

“Impressive CD collection you have,” I muttered, running my finger along the CDs.

“Thanks, love. Does yours match?” he asked, joining me by his bed.

“It would if I didn’t leave my CD’s everywhere. I can’t find half of them. Thank God for iTunes, aye?” I giggled.

“See anything you like?” he asked.

“More like see anything I don’t like,” I replied in awe, my mouth hanging open like a goldfish. “But you’re missing a few CD’s.”

“Really? What ones?” he asked, eyebrows furrowed.

“Mötley Crüe,” I stated.

“Psh. If you want. I never really liked their stuff,” he shrugged.

“Your loss,” I smiled before sitting on the edge of his bed.

“So,” he said.

“So.”

“Is Sheffield really that good?” he asked, fiddling with his deep brown locks.

“Only if you like muffins, discounts and gardening. Otherwise, it sucks balls. You go to concerts?” I replied.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. Why?”

“No concerts ‘ere, doll. Not unless you head into town with all the ponces,” I scoffed.

“My name is Oliver, love. I’m a ponce,” he laughed.

“But petrol is expensive,” I pointed out. “Anyway, judging by your CD’s, you won’t like much of the concerts anyway.”

“What is there to do then?” he asked.

“Make friends. Whether you like them or not.”

“Friends?” Oliver asked, holding out his hand.

“Friends,” I agreed, shaking his hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments whores are welcome here : ]
No frickin' lie.
ilyall<3