We Signed Our Life Away

006

I was sleeping peacefully in my warm, comfy bed when I was abruptly woken by my phone’s shrill ring tone. Groaning, I slapped my hand over my bedside table until I found it. Flipping it open and turning it on speaker-phone, I answered with a grumbled ‘what?’

“Hey Parker,” Oli answered. I hated how chirpy he was in the morning.

“What do you want, retard?” I groaned.

“To see you. Tonight. I’m having a party seeing as the ‘rents are out of town. You want to come?” he asked.

“I don’t drink,” I spoke, stretching my arms.

“So? I’ll be there,” he bargained and I could practically see him wiggling his eyebrows.

“I guess I can make it,” I agreed.

“Sweet. See you later, love,” he said before hanging up.

With the thought of seeing Oliver tonight, it made getting out of bed a little bit easier. But only a little. I ended up rolling off my bed and onto the floor with a deafening thump. I ignored my mother’s calls asking me if I was okay and picked myself off the floor.

I chucked my duvet back on my messy bed and grabbed a towel off my floordrobe. Thankfully no one was in the bathroom so I didn’t have to wait in the hall like I usually did. Turning the shower on, I checked my hair in the mirror and decided I may as well wash it. With nothing to do until tonight, I had plenty of time to make myself look semi-presentable.

The second I stepped into the shower the boiling water soothed my irritated skin and made me feel more awake. I washed my hair with shampoo and conditioner before jumping out of the shower, drying myself and heading back to my room. I grabbed a pair of jeans from the ground and slipped them on, all while searching for clean tee shirt. I ended up grabbing a grey cardigan and slipping it on as I trudged down the carpeted stairs to the kitchen.

“Morning, love,” my dad smiled from behind his paper.

“Hey dad, ma,” I smiled I return as I began the endless hunt for food.

Opening the pantry door I got a pleasant surprise. There was actually food and I was going to make the most of it. I found some Weet Bix, fresh bananas and milk in the fridge. To top it all off there were strawberries in a bowl on the table.

“Why do we have food?” I asked as I poured milk and sugar on my cereal.

“I got out of work early yesterday and I thought that I should feed my children every once in a while so I went to the grocers,” my dad replied, taking a bite of his toast.

“Go dad,” I grinned as I carried my plate over to the dining table.

It was so weird, sitting at the dining table with both my parents and eating real food for breakfast instead of the usual mum, Josie, apple juice and a muffin. But I made myself enjoy it because God knows when it would happen again.

“I’m going to a party tonight,” I said casually.

“Really?” my dad’s eyes narrowed. “Who with and where?”

“At Oli’s house. Y’ know. Across the road,” I answered.

“Oh how lovely, Parker,” my mother smiled. “Allan, you really must meet the new neighbours! They’re lovely.”

And with that my mother began to rant about how the Sykes’ were fantastic while my dad just rolled his eyes at me continued reading about the stock markets in the paper. I continued my breakfast in silence. Savouring every bite.

***


After spending one hour getting ready, I decided to sit at my window and watch as guests arrived for Oli’s party. I saw a few people I knew from school, including Curtis but most of them I didn’t recognise. I was also stunned at the amount of people Oli knew. Or the amount of people that knew how to gatecrash a party. I was about to go over when I heard my phone’s familiar ring tone.

“Hello?”

“Parker! You coming over? It’s not a real party until you move your arse from the window to my garden, no?” he chuckled.

“I was just about to come over. Give me one minute,” I replied, listening to the shrieks already coming from across the road.

“Kay. Meet you out front,” he said before hanging up.

Smiling to myself, I slipped on my Vans and ran down the stairs without tripping. When I was halfway across the road, I noticed Oli walking out the front door looking exceptional as per usual. I grinned at the sight of him and he ran over and engulfed me in a hug that sent tingles down my spine.

“Hey Ol’s,” I smiled.

“Parker, love. I got you some juice,” he beamed, grabbing my hand and leading me inside.

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Thank ye Oli.”

As Oli pulled me into the kitchen he also introduced me to everyone. There were so many people already and I struggled to remember names and faces and eventually gave up. When we reached the kitchen I found it to be spacious and people free unlike the rest of the house where everyone was packed as tight as sardines in a can.

“I got you orange, apple and pineapple juice,” he grinned, pulling two cups out of the cupboard.

“It’s got to be apple,” I smiled.

“Apple it is,” he spoke as he poured both cups full of juice. “So, are you a party person, Miss Blue?”

“It depends who I’m with,” I said, taking a sip.

“You’re with me so you are. Come on outside and meet everyone. Oh, I’ll introduce you to my brother,” he grinned, taking my hand once again and navigating me through the masses of people.

“Tom! TOM!” Oli called.

Within seconds Tom was at our side, his ice blue eyes looking me up and down.

“This is Parker,” Oli said, waving his hands around me.

“Hi Parker,” Tom grinned before being pulled away by one of his friends.

“Whoa,” I said, stunned.

“Yeah. He got my mums eyes. Not jealous though ‘cause I got the hair,” Oli laughed before continuing to pull me outside.

He introduced me to a few more people before pulling me over to a table, laid down with bottles of liquor. Curtis was there too. Empty bottles surrounding him.

“Hey Curtis,” I smiled.

“Sup Parker,” he grinned.

“Parker? I plan on getting piss drunk tonight,” Oli stated. “I suggest you stick with Curtis here who can drink all the booze off of this table and not get pissed.”

“Damn Curtis. How d’ you manage that?” I asked.

“I’ve been drinking since before forever,” he chuckled.

“Because that makes complete sense,” I laughed.

“ Oooh. I see Casey. Later you two,” Oli said before rushing off to see ‘Casey’.

I sat down next to Curtis and admired the scene. It was only nine o’ clock and already peoples words were slurring and the sluts were emerging. I noticed a girl I went to school with, Sylvie, I think, dancing on a table with three other girls.

Suddenly I woke up with a start.

“Shit,” I mumbled, moving my head of Curtis’ shoulder.

“Huh?” he groaned before falling into a deep slumber once again.

I scanned the garden, noticing the lack of people and I wondered what the time was. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I checked. Two in the morning. I somehow managed to pull myself up and staggered towards the back door of Oli’s house.

Upon entering I heard loud noises coming from the upstairs bedrooms. I laughed to myself quietly as I made my way through the lounge to the front door. Just as I was passing the hallway, I saw a familiar figure at the end of the hall. I stepped back and peeked around the corner.

What the fuck, I thought as I watched Oliver Sykes pash some whore; pushing her up against the wall. Making her moan.

I felt tears sting behind my tired eyes but I fought them back. Oli has every right to kiss her. After all, he isn’t yours, a little voice in my head said. But upon remembering our short but sweet kiss in the tree the other day, I found our friendship becoming something more.

No longer could I fight back the tears. As they began to fall I kicked open the front door, stomped across the road and ran into my house. Tears now falling like a waterfall down my tired face. I rushed up the stairs and threw myself upon my bed, tears making my duvet damp.

He was drunk, I thought. Everyone fucks up when they’re drunk. But no matter what I told myself, I couldn’t push the image out of my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dramarama :D