Status: Finished.

Your One and Only.

Aftermath.

The possibility of them rejecting me had been in the back of my head the whole night, I just wasn’t counting on that actually happening. My chest felt heavy as my feet dragged me home, my body actions didn’t feel like mine. I felt tiny; the size of an ant in my own body. I felt like I was being controlled, my every move just by the touch of a button.

But that was just the feeling of not being in control, I turn to see at all the dead leaves floating around me, rocks inches from the ground rotating around an invisible orbit around me. I blink letting one miserable tear slip down my cheek and in that instant my feet no longer touch the ground but air itself.

I close my eyes and tell my mind to forget about what happened just a couple of minutes ago, that it’s nothing of importance. I gulp breathing in deeply and slowly bring my walls back up, I raise my hand and swiftly drop it. I open my eyes and step down onto the moist ground as if I had been on an invisible step, I take a step and then another, leaves leisurely fall onto place where they belong on the ground, and with each step I loose the sense of who I thought I was.

Edward-
“I still can’t believe he would do something like that to us! We’re supposed to be a family, there’s supposed to be no secrets between the family!” Bella fumed pacing the room, talking to herself more than me.

I sighed and continued staring at the opened book laying on the floor by our bed.

“And how could you not tell me!?” Her voice rose.

I look up at her, her eyes burning into my skin, her expression filled with betrayal and anger.

“It was not my place to say anything.”

“But I’m your wife!” She screamed raising her hands to her face.

“It was not my place.” I repeated and stood up from the armchair.

“Where are you going?” She asked suddenly, stepping in front of me.

“Out.” I responded and walked around her.

I could still feel her eyes on my back. She was angry, I knew from all the broken thoughts running through her mind. I opened the door and scurry down the stairs and out of the house.

I walked down a path my heart had memorized the very first time I had walked through there. I didn’t understand how something that had been nonexistent for so long still burned with flames of life within me, and yet I had no intention of extinguishing it out.

I slowed down as soon as I saw her house in view. I didn’t know whether I was going to act as a human and knock on her front door or just go through her window. Either way she would be able to sense my presence near.

I walked to the side of her house and got ready to climb, then her head popped out of her window, she looked down at me.

“What do you think you’re doing here?” She questioned resting her head on her hand.

“To talk to you.” I simply answered.

“You know there’s a door, you can knock and see if I’ll open it.”

“I don’t want to disrupt your parents.” I said calmly, seeing the hurt in her eyes as I said the word.

“They’re not home, besides you have your own family to talk to.” She sighed and disappeared through her window curtains.

“Go talk to them.” She spoke louder , then the window closed as if being pulled by a non-existent hand.

I sighed and walked away, not wanting to upset her ever more. I walked home, there was no rush to be there; part of me didn’t want to be there.

Aubrey-
I stared at the window hoping he would come bursting in, I didn’t even care if he broke the window, I didn’t care if the glass shattered all around the room. But as each second passed I came to the realization that he had left, just like I had told him to. I reopened the window with a light movement of my hand. There was nothing out there but darkness.

The morning after I didn’t go to school. I told Frank I was feeling a bit under the weather that I needed time to go hunting and spend some time on my own. He had asked me about the dinner party and I simply shrugged at him, telling him I didn’t say anything because I was too scared. Frank had told me to “take your time.” and that only made things worse, he wanted me to have all the happiness in the world.

I saw Eva become impatient, she wanted to leave this town and head back to the world she belonged. To the world of shopping and glamor, and parties. She wanted back the life she had lost when she and Frank had decided to adopt me, and I was going to give her that life back.

That night I picked up my phone walking out into the woods and called Carlisle, he picked up on the second ring.

“Aubrey, I’m so glad you’re calling.” I could hear the joy in his voice.

“I want you to tell Frank that your family accepted me with open arms, that I will moving in with you guys the coming weekend and that they can go on with their life. Tell him that I am happy and grateful but I no longer need his help.”

“Aub-”

“I don’t want him to waste his life waiting for my happiness. Can you please do this?” I asked cutting him off.

There was complete silence on the other line.

“You want me to lie to him the way you did?”

I gulped and nodded in the darkness. “Yes. Will you then?”

“If that’s what you want. Then yes I will.” He sighed, clearly unhappy about the whole situation.

“Thank you, and Doctor, don’t worry about me. I’ll figure things out on my own. I always have.” I told him and hanged up.

I sighed and sat on the moist grass staring at the little rocks in front of me. Second by second I began to feel the waves of power around me growing stronger.

“You shouldn’t be here all alone, you know.”

“I’m not a child, you know.” Nessie mocked my last words.

“Touché.” I smiled to myself as she sat besides me.

“You didn’t go to school today.” She pointed out.

“You noticed.” I joked.

“I know I reacted badly the other night. And I shouldn’t have. I’m sorry.” She told me in a small quiet voice.

“No need to be, it’s a lot to take in in three minutes.”

Nessie stayed quiet for three minutes and then she laughed lowly.

“So, you’re my aunt.”

“Eh that’s just too weird.”

“Why was Edward the only one who knew about Carlisle being your father?”

I considered telling her everything at that moment, for there to be no secrets between us; no secrets between best friends, but something inside me whispered it wasn’t the best of ideas.

“Lets just say he’s an old friend.”

“Long story?” She guessed at the tone of my voice.

“Long story.”

“Will I ever know the contents of it?”

I looked at her and smiled nodding.

“Sooner than you think.”

“Good because I don’t like waiting.” She laughed a bit.

“How did you know I was here?”

“I asked Jacob to help me, you see us half-breeds have a special sense and he sniffed you out.” She smiled widely, showing she was proud to have Jacob as her boyfriend.

“Please tell me you’re going to school tomorrow, I hate working by myself in home-ed.”
I laughed and sighed. “I promise I will.” I told her.

“Good, and we don’t have to eat lunch with everybody else, we’ll find a new spot for just us best friends.”

“That sounds like a great idea.”

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow. I have to go. Curfew.” She rolled her eyes and stood up.

“Do you want me to go with you?”

“No thanks, Jacob is waiting for me a couple of- point is he’s waiting for me somewhere.” She giggled and ran off.

I smiled after her and laid back on the ground staring at the dark black sky.
♠ ♠ ♠
I did it!
I walked up and down the streets of Warsaw and found a USB modem for my laptop.
Next chapter will be up soon.
:]