Sequel: Love's Curtain Call

Acting On Love

Rivalry

"Well, I'd better be going..." he sighed, lifting up his own book. He left me with a smile before he went off to take out his book.

I watched him from where I stood, before he finally left the library. I sighed to myself, wishing we could spend the rest of the day together. I went to put my own book back, but paused against the shelf. I decided to take the book out.

I met up with Lisa, who was struggling to hold the stack of books she'd picked out. I helped her take them out before we went back to the halls.

"So what do you want to do today?" she asked, standing against her door.

"Um...not much," I replied honestly.

"Oh, ok," she looked a little disappointed. "So...uh...how are holding up? With Mr. Valo?"

I'd almost completely forgotten about the little lie that I'd told her. "Fine."

"Ok. Well, I'd better go and finish my work..."

"See you around," I said, going back to my room.

The rest of the day took forever to end. Then again, I didn't know what else to expect, when I spent it sitting on bed, listening to music and reading the book I'd got from the library. In fact, I even ended up falling asleep reading it.

I woke up the next morning, glad that the weekend was finally over. I saw Arizona Dreams lying on the floor on the page I had left it at. I picked it up and put it on my desk, before I got changed for the day ahead.

I found myself almost running to the theatre, just to see him again. When I reached it, I was the first one there, once again. This came to no surprise to me - I was usually the first. But this time, as I walked quietly through the theatre door, I heard two voices emerge from the stage. I stopped in my path, confused.

"Ville!" a female voice said, laughing. "You didn't!"

This person didn't sound like a student. More like someone in their thirties.

"Would I lie to you?" I heard his voice reply. He laughed, too.

The pattern of conversation reminded me a lot of one I'd had with him on the weekend - when he'd been telling me one of his embarrassing stories. Who was he now telling it to again?

I decided not to continue eavesdropping, but to make my position known. I stepped forward, round the large row of theatre seats, and finally my eyes landed on the woman. She was sitting with Ville on the stage - both their legs were dangling off the edge. She had a hand on his chest as they both laughed together. They still hadn't noticed me. Which was particularly strange, since my heartbeat felt like it was growing loud enough to be heard from the other side of the room.

I coughed, making both their eyes shoot towards me. Ville slid off the stage, and took a step towards me.

"Kristen," he smiled. I didn't smile back, but he didn't seem to pick up on it. "This is Miss Green. She's going to be helping us out - she's one of the best acting teachers in New York."

My eyes flickered from his to her's. She was smiling at me pleasantly from the stage. She didn't look like a teacher at all. She had long, honey-coloured hair which grew gently into curls as it got further down her back. Her dark eyes felt like they were piercing my skin, even though they seemed welcoming enough.

I looked from her clothes to my own; two very different styles. She was wearing a low-cut, v-neck top, with a black decorative belt, and a near knee-length skirt. I was wearing a grey jacket, on top of a thin, black hoodie, with a pair of nothing-special jeans.

Ville's smile soon turned to a frown when I didn't say a word for a long time. I walked past him to put down my bag on a theatre seat. As I had my back turned to them, I heard the woman whisper to him.

"Is she ok?" she asked.

Ville sighed, but said nothing.

Eventually, the other students turned up. I kept my back to Ville and "Miss Green" the whole time I was waiting. Was I really that jealous? I sighed to myself.

"Alright, class. I'm pleased to welcome a new teacher. Those of you who have seen plays at New York Theatre may recognise her," he smiled, scanning the faces of the class, sitting on the theatre seats. His eyes met mine for a second, and he frowned to himself again. I didn't know what emotion was playing on my features, but it didn't seem to make him happy.

After her introduction, we got on with performing Macbeth, once again. Ville promised that we'd soon move on from plays, and onto writing our own short performances.

By the time the lesson had ended, I'd already seen enough to be sure that Miss Green was flirting with Ville. Even if he didn't notice it himself. I lingered with my bag for longer than necessary. I wanted to talk to him, but I couldn't with her there. Most of the class had already gone; Ville was standing by the stage, listening to Miss Green talk.

I sighed, feeling my heart give up in my chest. I grasped my bag and bolted towards the door. As my fingers gripped the handle, I felt someone's hand on my shoulder, stopping me from leaving. Of course, it was Ville.

"Kristen, what's up?" he whispered.

I frowned at him. "Nothing," I lied. I looked past him to see Miss Green walking curiously towards us.

"Your friend wants you alone," I said harshly before I pushed the door open and trotted off to lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been trying to choose a theme song for the story for a while now. I have a few ideas, but I'd like to hear your ideas first, before I've chosen one =] Just leave the name of the song that you think describes the story well in your comment, if you like.