Sequel: Love's Curtain Call

Acting On Love

Breaking The Rules

We sat in silence together until the other students eventually turned up. My mood was already terrible. I couldn't stop wondering what Ville was doing. He can't have been ill - I knew that much. Then why was he staying away from the university...?

"Alright, class. Mr. Valo is ill today, so I will be taking your lessons alone until he returns. Well, for this week, at least..." her voice droned on, but I zoned out. I didn't see the point in putting up with the day when I didn't even get to see him. It seemed like I couldn't have a good day any more, unless he was a part of it. Not a good sign.

After what felt like an hour, I finally checked the time. It was only half way through the lesson. She was still giving us a lecture on her entire career, and giving us advise on what path to choose after university. I couldn't even look at her - not knowing where her rosy lips had been the night before.

I made it through the lesson by hiding my face with my hand and closing my eyes. I couldn't quite remember when I fell asleep, but the next thing I heard was the sound of the bell for lunch. I stretched and yawned as the other students left the theatre. I caught a glimpse of Jake with his arm round his new girlfriend. It felt like it had been years since I'd spoken to him. When in actual fact it wasn't even 3 months. Still, that felt like a completely different part of my life. Which was stupid, really.

I finally picked up my bag and left the theatre, feeling Miss Green's eyes on my back as I left. I scowled at the floor as I headed towards the lunch hall. I didn't want to have to spend the day wondering what Ville was doing. At lunch Lisa would only beg to know what was going on, too. Then a voice in my head whispered the answer.

Ditch this place - go see Ville.

I stopped in my path towards the lunch hall and looked around. People left to have lunch in town all the time anyway. No-one would notice. So I headed towards the gates and left without a single look back. I found it hard to navigate my way to his apartment - he'd taken me in the dark, and I was pretty sure it was located further in the heart of the city.

After a while of what felt like pointless walking, I was sure I was lost. I cursed under my breath. The streets were surprisingly crowded for midday. I found myself nudged constantly by the shoulders of the people passing me - as if I'd stopped like a stone, trying to resist the strong current of a river.

It was easy to tell the difference between the two main "groups" of people on the streets - business men and women rushing anxiously to meet with people for lunch; and then the people walking casually, carrying shopping bags and window shopping. I gave in to the current and sat down at a bench to the side of the street. Great, I mumbled to myself. I wouldn't get to see Ville after all, as well as having to miss lunch because of the time I'd wasted. Not that I wanted to return to the university any time soon, anyway.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the little sun which reached my skin out here. It was still cold, but the midday sun was comforting. I probably never seemed to notice it in fall, since I'd usually be in the lunch hall at this time... My thoughts drifted off, as I bathed in the gentle heat.

"Kristen?" a surprised voice called out of the crowd. It sounded like Ville, but I was sure that by then I was only dreaming.

"Kristen," it was closer this time, and I began to realise that I wasn't dreaming. I opened my eyes and nearly jumped off the bench when I saw Ville standing next to me. He was frowning with confusion.

"Ville?" I gasped, standing up from the bench.

He was wearing casual clothes, and the beanie I hadn't seen him in for a long time. I could see he hadn't shaved that morning by his stubble. But the thing that struck me the most about his appearance was the cigarette placed between his lips. I never knew he smoked...

"What...what are you doing here?" he asked, taking the cigarette out of his mouth quickly.

"Getting lost trying to find your apartment," I answered truthfully. "Why aren't you taking the class?"

He looked at the floor, looking a little ashamed before he answered. "I'm not going there for as long as she's there," he said quietly but firmly. He flicked some ash onto the pavement as brought the cigarette up to his lips again.

"You never told me you smoked..." I said, not holding back the disappointment in my voice.

"I'm trying to quit," he said, before sighing - letting smoke spill out of his lungs. "Anyway, I thought it would be best if I took a few days off..."

"Didn't you think about how much I'd miss you?" I asked, making him laugh.

"Sorry..." he smiled, drawing from his cigarette once again. "But I can't go there when she's there," he continued, being serious again.

I sighed. "You can't expect me to put up with her either..."

He gave me a sarcastic warning look, beginning to act like the teacher he was supposed to be again. He laughed when he saw the determined look on my face. "Alright..." he sighed. "If you're going to miss school anyway, you may as well spend it with me," he said, letting his face light up. He wrapped an arm round my waist, smiling even more. I wrinkled my nose when the heavy smell of smoke hit me.

"Sorry," he apologised, flicking the small cigarette into a nearby bin. "Come on..." he said, leading me down the street. "I'll fix you up with a nice lunch."