To Be Free

Chapter 2

I walked in, slowly. I knew what they were doing, I knew these children well. I am not crazy, the rain was singing, ringing. I have my money. It’s not theirs; I’ll do what I want. I’ll take from the bank, to the shore and give it to the fish, the beautiful fish. I’ll give it to the withering man always sleeping on the front steps. I’ll give it to anyone but them. Harold’s kids were never nice, troublemakers, always finding something good for them. The furniture looked good in the park, much better than in that empty house. Empty, yes it’s empty without him there. I’ll die with his honor, never give them that house. Never give them anything. Neve-
“Miss Williams,” I always hated that name, an old woman as myself using Williams as a name. If only I told Harold about his last name, together we would change it. I know he would have agreed to, life’s so empty without him here.
“Call me ‘Nymph’, m’dear,” I held out my hand in a common greeting. She was dissatisfied, such a bitter young woman.
“Your room will be this way, you’ll be sharing one with...Phillip Rolting, he’s coming in today, also,” I shuddered, wasn’t a very welcoming place, I better give them some design tips. This wall a deep blue, this a sea foam green. When I’m done this place will look perfect, just like a tropical beach, the sea. It’s so cold here; I knew I should’ve told Harold about the beach. I know he would have loved it, also. It’s perfect for him. The receptionist began walking n the direction she was pointing. I snapped out of my thoughts and followed, my vivacious steps in contrast against her obvious brooding. Why was this place so sad, it shouldn’t be. I’m sure I could liven it up. Oh, no, here they came, the disgusting triplets, nothing like their father. All in a line, business man, business woman, business man. Their faces were expressionless, carved out in money making stone. I watched them, trying to match their indifferent expressions. They stopped and the woman of the three, Vivian, stepped towards me.
“You’ll be safe here, mother, it’s what’s best for you,” she put her hand on my shoulder, which I immediately brushed off.
“Then, I’m sure it’s what’s best for you, also, daughter,” I walked into the room, brushing past a horrified receptionist and shut the door softly. There was a dirty mirror before me and I stared at myself. My silver hair was up in a neat bun, sickening, Harold wouldn’t like me being confined. As I pulled out the ribbon it glimmered as though it was a minnow in the sunlight, swimming. If only I could be swimming, free, I raised my hands out before me and breathed in deeply, I felt the depression of many people before me, hidden in the walls. I stared at my green eyes in the mirror, watching them light up in the sunlight seeping through a lonely window in the bare room. I set down my bag and got out my toiletries. I scoffed at my reflection, this wouldn’t do. Harold and the fish wouldn’t approve. After, you’ve got to look your best in a mental house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, the ending's stupid. I'll probably change it...I couldn't find a better way for her to say the last line. Hmm, in the end she seems more sane than in the beginning...