Slowdance on the Inside

chapter 3

[Amanda's pov]
I stood in front of the map in the underground station a little down the road from my hotel, looking at the different coloured lines trying to decide where to go.
I eventually decided on Tottenham Court road, strangely not actually in Tottenham, as I knew that it was at one end of Oxford street which I thought would be nice to walk up.
It took me a while to find the platform that I needed to go to for my train, after unsuccessfully following the signs on the ceiling I stopped and asked a member of staff which way to go.
As I approached the platform I could see that there was already a train waiting, I began sprinting and managed to jump on just as the doors were closing.
A few people looked over at me but most of their eyes remained glued to their newspapers, magazines and maps.
I glanced around and saw an empty seat in-between a teenage girl wearing a tracksuit and an obnoxious amount of jewelery, which if pawned I'm sure the money could feed a small country, and an old man who looked as if he was about to fall asleep any second now.
By the time we arrived at my station the girl had begun talking so loud on her cell phone that I'm sure that those at the opposite end of the carriage could hear her conversation, and the man had actually fallen asleep, leaning on me slightly as he dreamt his journey away.
I quickly stood up and heaved a sigh of relief as the doors opened and I stepped out onto the platform.
I walked over to the wall and stood next to a chocolate vending machine watching as those that had been on the train walked along the platform towards the exit, and those that had been on the platform stepped on to the train, grabbing hold of the few empty seats before anyone else spied them or standing by the doors holding on to the rails as the doors closed and the train moved away.
I'd always loved to just watch people as they went about their business, something I got from my photographer mother I suppose.
Once the platform had emptied I followed the direction that my fellow passengers had exited in, and made my way up and out into the daylight.