Status: Basically completed (writing) with some changes Will post the completed chapters soon

Secrets Can Kill

Eyes in the Alley

I woke up early the next morning to avoid Alexander and my parents. I’m not up to seeing him, much less talk to him at the moment. That argument last night was the first time I really yelled at him. I didn’t understand how he knew that Jason was coming to see me and why it bothered him so much. The whole thought of trying to understand him was hurting my head.
Still eventually I might just forgive him. Getting on my bad side wasn’t something that anyone would want to get on. Walking down the stairs wasn’t my first choice of leaving. Most likely my mom woke my dad up so she could talk about her problems. So I went out onto the fire escape to leave my room. No one was bound to know I left the house with me coming out this way.

The morning air is something that I usually don’t get to take in that often with all the pollution. Still, it’s early and no one is driving their cars so the fresh morning air filled my lungs. Leaning against the railing I took notice of the morning sky. The sun was still coming up so I left off for school. It’s not that I like school, no; I just want to get out of this house.

It most likely the school is open about now seeing that jocks need to get into the gym for their practice. I guess I can hang out on the bleachers until the bell rings-or at least until some teacher arrives and lets me in the building to get to my locker. But if you really think not even the teachers want to be here. I mean they went to school for fourteen and more years, so I don’t they would want to be back here even if they are in charge of the class. Just look at the place it’s a large building with police at the entrance to check your bags; it could probably pass as a jail if it had bars on the windows. Well in general it is a jail for teens-but with homework.

The field felt wet with the fresh morning dew. How such lonely things like fresh dew is over looked I won’t know for sure. Maybe it’s the fact that the popular people are too caught up in the newest trend to realize these things. Stupid jocks.
“So you came here to check me out Goth girl?” speak of the devil here is the king of the jocks, Jessie. I honestly can’t say he ugly because that would be a lie. He is probably the best looking guy at the school; then again he had like twenty girlfriends already, so kissing him is like kissing them. Still I’m the only with enough pride and dignity that never bowed down to him and his glory.

“What do you want?” I asked sitting back up on the bleacher.

“What are you doing here?” he asked

“Not that it’s any of your business but I felt suffocated in my home lately” I looked away from him to try and spot a teacher. No luck “Too much melodrama for me to handle, plus Alexander in on the verge of become a smart-ass” With Alexander becoming right about a lot of things its becoming hard not to get angry with him. I was the one who was usually right about the things that happen and now with Alexander in the house I no longer have that title. Things like that can be unfair.

Then again who ever said life was fair? From the sixteen years I’ve been alive so far nothing has been fair. I could never really find peace for a long enough time that I actually felt stable. Not that there is a problem with me not being stable, no, I just got a short temper that’s a ticking time bomb ready to go off sometimes. Besides reality doesn’t hold that much peace for me for example the jock that stands before me, he is the person I have been getting into arguments with since grade one.

He is also the kind of guy that doesn’t know how to take a hint when a girl isn’t interested. Like, yours truly, me. I have always known he like me, but he won’t make it known in front of all his jock friends and those other girls with the pink heels and the shiny lip-gloss. He truly is a jerk, but it’s not like I really care if he likes me or not, I could go on living if I never knew him. But he won’t let that happen he will do something that will make me notice him at some point in the day. It’s just another way for him to get on my nerves and to piss me off.
“Hey Emily you in there?” he said waving a hand in my face, “Let me guess you’re thinking about me. I can’t blame you for thinking of me. I’m the most wanted guy in the school according to the cheerleaders” I got up to walk away but something stopped me. I began to look around and I still saw no one not even Jessie’s couch or team. I also haven’t seen any of teachers walking across the parking lot looking as desperate to stay away from the school as the students. The place looks as empty as if it was the middle of summer, and no one had any business being here. Then again I myself have no business being here, well at least this early.

No something must have happened and I wasn’t aware of it, and Jessie here might know it. But I have major doubts he would tell me, unless it involved me being in some form of discomfort that would give him some type of pleasure, a.k.a him lip locking me. Which was never going to happen as long as I live, or so help me I will punch him so hard in the face no one will recognize who he is. That’s how good my right hook is and if he crosses the line I’ll give him the perfect example of it. He has yet to find out that a girl can stand up for herself, and that she doesn’t always need daddy to protect her. In his case daddy means the bank and a get out of free card not like the rest of us.

Stupid populars get everything and leave the rest of us nothing to work with, but the desire to be like them. It’s the ones who want to be popular I feel sorry for. I mean they could have the perfect friend and not realize that’s all they need to be happy. So far most of the sophomores I’ve seen have broken away from their childhood friends to become one of the populars. That why I think I was one of the lucky ones not having a close friend and suffer what they had to suffer-well I can’t say much anymore because now I have Alexander.

“Get lost Jessie. I have no interest in talking to you” I sighed shaking my head trying to make sense of this morning’s abandonment of the school. Well in any case I don’t need to worry of ditching gym today. What was yesterday’s homework assignment in gym anyways? Well I guess it doesn’t matter much anymore. I can I just make up some story saying I had no idea what it was-which is the truth because wasn’t even in class when it was assigned. Walking across the parking lot I hear the faint calls of Jessie it the back.

No way am I going to stick around for his pointless talks. So I start running to the nearest alley avoiding the soccer star that was Jessie as he ran past the alley I’m hiding in. Laughing at the fact he ran right past me a hand grabbed my shoulder pulling me back. I lost my footing and fell right on the one who pulled me. Hearing moaning behind me I got off of whoever it was and sighed in frustration, its Alexander. Looking down at him he sat up rubbing his head. Serves him right for scaring me like that.

“Geez Emily you didn’t have to fall on me” he spoke looking at me “I didn’t pull that hard on you”

“What are you doing here?” I asked him

“What do you think? I was asked to come after you, Emily,” he stood up “Your parents got worried about you. So I was sent out to look for you,” listening to him I just rolled my eyes. Sometimes listening to him is like listening to some boring educational TV program.
I leaned on the wall and stared at the ground as Alexander leaned on the wall opposite of me. I looked at him and he look frustrated so I’m guessing he figured out I stopped listing to him a while ago. Suddenly I had the feeling someone was watching me, but when I looked at Alexander he was toying with his cell phone. I don’t know if Alexander is getting the same feeling as me and if he is he sure isn’t showing it. Noticing the hairs on my arms were standing on its ends and I rubbed them still feeling someone’s eyes on me.

“Are you cold?” Alexander asked me.

“No, just getting a weird feeling that’s all” I told him as I looked up toward the roof of the building.

He just shrugged and put his cell phone in his pocket clearly not sensing my discomfort of being in the alley.

“Hey Emily” I turned to whoever called my name.

I sighed “Jason what do you want?”

“Just want to talk. You know, engage in a little conversation”

Closing me eyes I leaned off the wall. It’s to hard to think here much less talk to Jason with Alexander giving me the evil eye over there. Opening my eyes to look at Jason I took in a deep breath and released it “Not now Jason just go away” I said.

“I just want to talk,” he said as he took a step closer toward me.

“She said to go Jason, or do you have problems hearing” Alexander said to Jason in a very irritated voice as he got off the wall and took a step toward Jason. Jason ignored Alexander and kept his eyes on me, which creeps me out. I never get this much attention unless I act out in class or starting a riot somewhere that the cops have to detain me.

“I’m guessing this is a bad time to ask you if you got my writing, huh?”

“Wait” his writing? Could it be? “That email that had the poem was from you?”

“Ah” Jason said in relief “You did get it. What do you think of it? It took me awhile to write it you know. I was aiming for the short and sweet kind of poem that can really deliver the message”

“But why? Why me? I don’t get it. You shouldn’t have sent something like that to me.” I said horrified.

“Wait a minute” Alexander said breaking in “What email? Emily what’s he talking about?”

Putting my hand on my forehead I didn’t answer Alexander. My mind is beginning to feel like its going to explode this very minute. Trying to calm myself down and not let my imagination run away with me I look at Alexander and then to Jason. Remembering to when I got the poem my thoughts came back about what I thought about the poem, short but sweet. Still, with such meaning to it. Something like this should not be wasted because of the strong sense of deep meaning to the person it should be meant for. Someone who is deeply cared about, that captivated the heart of someone. Those who make them feel something, special.

“ Its nothing Alexander” I said “Nothing”

“Nothing?!” Jason yelled in surprise to me “ It can’t mean nothing, I, its. You’re lying to me” Alexander stepped in front of him blocking his way to me “Emily!”

I don’t want to deal with this I yelled inside my head. Looking around I noticed both Jason and Alexander blocked my way out. I remained silent as Alexander was holding Jason away from me. Alexander finally pushed Jason back and if Jason didn’t find his footing he would have fallen into the trash.

“ Why do you seem so upset at her answer Jason?” Alexander mocked him “Wait don’t answer that because I couldn’t care less about how you feel. Still you seem to be everywhere Emily is lately and its beginning to get on my nerves. So you answer me this. Are you stalking her? Because if you are we’re going to have a big problem.”

“ I’m not stalking her” Jason said to Alexander giving him his full attention “Besides don’t be talking to me about being everywhere she is. You are the one living in her home! And speaking of that when exactly are you supposed to be leaving?”

“That’s none of your business Jason”

“Just how it isn’t any of your business that I spend time with her!” Jason countered.
As they kept arguing I notice my chance to leave since no one was watching me. I slipped behind Alexander and ran out of the alley toward Main Street hoping to get back home as fast as I can to save my own skin. Yeah, I know that I sound weak and I know that it’s wrong to leave Alexander and Jason back there, alone, where they could kill each other. But I just can’t take they’re little-well maybe not little- arguments. The whole idea about what I think is kind of flattering, but still unnecessary and annoying. Still it’s nice to be asked my opinion every once and awhile even if it is being asked by Jason. A smile came sneaking up on my face, which made me brighten up a bit, huh; I guess even Alexander can be over shadowed by someone like Jason who can be more of a gentleman-even if that person did once hold a gun at me.

I sighed “Oh well. I guess its true that something’s or some people can surprise you,” I said to myself climbing the ladder leading to my room. “And now to await the call from Jessie as usual about the big-or not so big by my standers-dance Friday.” I said falling on my bed remembering last years plea ‘Please Emily. I’m only asking for one outing with you and you don’t even need to call it a date. Please’ he begged over the phone, ‘I need someone to go with and you should be feeling lucky that I’m asking you. A lot of girls have been asking me for days to go with me.’

I laughed at him over the phone ‘Then stop wasting your breath asking me and go ask one of those girls. I already told you no and that’s my final answer.’ Listening to what I thought was going to be a desperate long plea I heard silence on the other line. It was then when the term silence is gold popped into my head. So I hung up the phone in another victory over him. Yup that day I will remember forever I thought to myself in the quietness of my room. Sitting back up I notice the light form my computer monitor, well I should get so writing done to meet my deadline I thought as I opened the file titled Forbidden Love. Noticing I only have a few more months left and I’m nowhere near the ending would making my publisher-Scott-pissed. Thinking about him whenever he gets mad his face turns into something like a bunny that’s trying really hard to crap, which makes it hard to take him seriously.
So sitting back in my seat I begin to type.

***


Rose walks fast down an alley in Mayhem as her thoughts try to make out the situation at hand. Knowing that her ceremony is quickly coming to be officially in the society she can’t shake a nervous feeling. The feeling of death in the air arises at the thought of the society of witches that will soon become her family in mere days. Quickening her pace her breathing becomes fast and heavy as cold beads of sweat come down her forehead. Just a few day ago she ran into a bloodthirsty vampire that was crazed by hunger and it frightened her that in her attempt to escape she fell down. As Rose remembers how she was under death she also remembers the cries of pain that happened seconds before she was attacked. Another vampire appeared before her and her attacker and stuck his hand into the crazed vampire’s chest pulling out his heart.

The crazed vampire fell dead to the ground in front of her and she stared at the unmoving body. Baffled at what happened in front of her she turned to the vampire that saved her life and began to cry. As tears ran down her face she heard a mocking chuckle that made her stop. Wiping her tears away so she could see clearly at her savior’s face all Rose could see was his outline. The rest of his body was covered by the blackness of the night that engulfed them both. As her savior continued to chuckle it soon became a mocking laugh directed at her. Feeling embarrassed and enrage she stood back up on her two feet trying to look as menacing as possible. “What are you laughing at?”

“A bloody witch that can’t defend herself when her job is to defend others.” He spoke.
Feeling her face warm up she held her ground “I can protect others!” she yelled as his laughing stopped noticing she was becoming serious.

“Oh? And how about killing? Can you kill?” he mockingly asked.

“I can kill!” she yelled, “I need to know how to kill. So I can kill those like you!”

“Oh?” he asked then crossed the ground separating them and grabbed her chin, “And who are these people like me? Hmm…who are they? I would very much like to meet them.”

“The ones like you are the ones that kill the innocent. The ones I am to protect.”

“And how are you to kill us?”

“With my knife” Rose spat “Then you’ll be sorry you ever met me”

“Is that a challenge I hear? Hmm? A dance with death is dangerous you know?” he said letting go of her and stepping back.

“Don’t you mean ‘A dance with the devil’?” she asked

He laughed, “Oh no that would be my brother. He’s the devilish one” he said turning around to leave “And I’m the deadly one” Walking until he got to the entrance of the alley he turned around to look at her one more time “I’ll be watching you very closely Rose. Very, very closely until the time comes when you can kill me” then he vanished from sight. Coming back from her memories she was still in the alley and was struggling to think clearly. All she could think of was how he knew her name when she never told him and how she came back into Mayhem trying to look for him. Finally coming to the conclusion it was suicide to come out into Mayhem especially unarmed and without backup Rose began to make her way out of the alley. With her heart beating like a humming bird when she heard the rustlings among the garbage bags she ran out of the alley onto the side walk next to a club.

Approaching the club she noticed a couple outside making out and her face blushed as the look of the young woman had pleasure written all over her face as the man kissed her neck. Turing around about to leave the scene she heard a voice, but not just any voice, no the voice the vampire that saved her. The one she challenged. Turning back she found the woman’s neck drenched in blood and man’s mouth smudged with it.

“Damn” he cursed wiping the blood away from his face, “I’m not usually sloppy when it comes to feeding” he closed his eyes and punch the brick wall with all his frustration, “I can’t seem to forget her”

“You” Rose spoke quietly as the vampire turned to the sound of her. As the vampire focused his eyes on her then Rose noticed that they were red, soaked in some mysterious emotion that frighten her which made icicles ran down her spine. As Rose took a step back feeling her body run cold all over she felt as if she would jump out of her skin as he took a step forward and offered his hand out to her. Feeling uneasy in his presence along with the woman slouched against the brick wall soaked in her own blood Rose turned around and ran back to her home. To her only Sanctuary, into the city of Dawn where hell can be kept away in the shadows and safety be there to comfort you like a mother’s love.

As she ran flashes of the bloody woman and the blood soaked vampire flashed through her mind like nightmares that wouldn’t leave. It scorched her memory as a mark to remind her what her job is, or what it will be when she is fully fledged into the community. That it is to protect the innocent against monsters that steals the lives of those who are meant to live. The living and the undamned that don’t live forever because they actually have their souls. Finally stopping underneath a light post she finally made it into the city of Dawn that has been hidden from the human world. Noticing out of the corner of her eye a dark shadow hide from her into the alley opening so she continued walking until she turned the next corner.

The shadow figure followed her movements and hid every time she turned around, but when they finally turned the corner Rose was missing. Confusion struck the shadow figure and then panic swept over its body after noticing a gun missing from its belt. Once hearing the side of metal and the cold gun pressed up against it the shadow froze.

“I thought it was you,” Rose chuckled “Jared Silver.”

***

Sitting in the corner of the club the taste of fresh blood stayed in the vampire’s mouth and he hated it. It tasted bitter and somewhat of spoiled blood even though it was a live human he drank from. Thinking it over to himself about the bad tasting blood it hit him that the woman’s scent wasn’t very pleasant either and not enticing the blood it came out horrid. Pondering over the idea he signaled Kat the bartender for another shot of whiskey since vampire’s can hold down liquor better than humans could plus his hopping of removing the bitter taste from his mouth.

While waiting for his drink his eye’s swept over the crowd dancing in the mist of dry ice and multi-colored light show. The crowd smelled of humans and vampires sweat that would entice any new born vampire to go wild to feed, but no one dared to cross the owner of the club. As Kat came over with the drink she brought someone else along with her. Setting down the glass she nodded her head in the visitor’s direction “he says he wants a word with you.”

“There is a difference between a word and a conversation, Kat. And what he wants is a conversation.”

“Hey, don’t bite the messenger Boss” she said jokingly and walked away.
Shaking his head at the joke he drank the whisky while his guest sat down across from him. Starring at the shot glass he grabbed one of the passing waiters and told them to bring him a bottle of red wine. As he pushed the paper work in front of him aside to make room for the alcohol he focused in on his guest.

“What do you want Sebastian? You do know I need to run this club here?”

“Oh shut up,” Sebastian said leaning back in his seat putting his feet up on the table, “You know damn well the Black Angel is doing fine so stop acting so important just because you run the place.”

“No you stop acting so important because I’m your brother,” he said slapping Sebastian’s feet off the table, “Don’t think I wouldn’t throw you out, because if you cause any problems for me you can bet your ass that I will.”

“Okay message received and you’re my blood brother. Anyways don’t worry I won’t cause you any trouble for you tonight,” he grinned over to the crowd as he spotted a pixie cut blond dancing, “Or at least I’ll try not to.”

“Hell no Sebastian! How many times must I tell you? My club is not your hunting grounds for your meals. The Black Angel is off limits! If you need to find a meal go somewhere else because I am not about to go and clean up bodies or erase others memories.” Sebastian’s brother yelled with frustration that turned his eyes red. “Trust me I don’t need any more problems my plate if already overflowing with them already. And to top it off Lucifer has been on my back about you and your friends running wild in Mayhem lately.”

“Huh? Lucifer has been in contact with you about me? Well that’s new since we haven’t heard from him for? How long? Five years? Ever since our youngest brother Zack was killed right? By those flee carrying wolves.” Sebastian spoke with venom seeping out, “Still it doesn’t matter if Lucifer has been in contact with you as long as he doesn’t show up at our front door we’ll be fine.”

“Sebastian human bodies have been dropping like flies and you and your idiot friends marks are on them. I can’t keep protecting you forever and when the hunters come for you I might not be able to help you.”

“Shut up! You know the hunters are as stupid as plain humans. I can avoid them easily”
“Then,” Sebastian’s brother paused, “How about the werewolves? They travel in packs. How will you possibly avoid them?” Sebastian’s brother challenged.

“They’re just over grown dogs, you know. All you have to do is throw them a bone and they’ll roll over hoping for a belly rub. Then when you’re done with them there is no one else to stand in your way.” Sebastian said proudly.

“Oh? What about the witches? Hopefully you did not forget them. Seeing as they are deadly in combat and all. Plus they show up here twice every month to see the damage that’s been done to the city. Also when they find a dead body with fang mark it’s always my ass on the line.” Sebastian’s brother said as he got up from his seat.

“Your point is?” Sebastian asked.

“My point?” Sebastian’s brother ask annoyed as he pick up Sebastian by the collar of his shirt, “My point is that next time you and your friends go hunting don’t attack a witch” he said angrily then threw Sebastian into the crowd of people. People back away from Sebastian as he sat up in the middle of the dance floor watching his brother gather his paper’s walking over to him. Whispers surrounded Sebastian as his brother stood in front of him, “or I will be the one to kill you,” he said and began to walk away.

“Who do you think you are?!” Sebastian yelled after him still on the ground.

Stopping his brother turned and walked back to Sebastian and whispered “I’m Christopher Bane the strongest and deadliest vampire,” then backing away a bit Christopher smiled and punched Sebastian in the face. Then he walked away to his dark office.