Sequel: Second Time Around

Zach, the Son of Wolverine

Making Christmas

It felt a bit strange for Zach to sleep in his old room back at his aunt’s house. He hadn’t been home for a long time, almost a year. Zach sat up in his bed and looked around in what he once called his room. There were still hanging a band poster on one of the walls, which he hadn’t bothered to bring with him then Zach had moved to the institute. The room wasn’t what you call big. It was only enough space to have a bed and a chest of drawers, more and you wouldn’t have much space to move on. Zach's room on the institute was much bigger.

At that moment Zach heard a snore, he turned his head to the right and looked down on the floor. There laid, on each mattress, Jimmy and Billie. They where sleeping heavy. Jimmy snored and Billie moved in his sleep, just like dogs normally do. Zach smiled. The reason they all were at his aunt’s place was that Zach had invited his brothers to celebrate Christmas with him and the rest on his relatives on his mother’s side of the family. Jimmy and Billie had said yes to the invitation but they said they had to talk to their dad first. Logan said they could go but he had to come with them. This wasn’t because he didn’t trust his sons, it was just he needed to make sure that Jimmy was okay, so he didn’t turn into “it”.

Zach, his brothers and dad had arrived two days before Christmas day, this was because they would like to help with the decorating and stuff at Zach’s grandma’s house because it was there they all would be on Christmas day. With all, Zach meant his aunt, uncle, grandma and all of his four cosines. He looked at the clock. It was 15 minutes past eight in the morning. They had to get up now; they had much to do at Zach’s grandma’s house.
“Jimmy, Billie... You have to wake up now” Zach said. He didn’t get any answer from his brothers, just some grunting sounds.
“Okay, you asked for it.” He mumbled before he fell down from his bed down on his brothers.
”AYE!” Both the twins shouted when Zach landed on them.
“ZACH YOUR LITTLE FU... ARSEHOLE!” Jimmy said and pushed away Zach from them so he ended up on the floor next to the mattresses. Zach reached out for his pillow and then he hit Jimmy with it in his face.
“You’re little….” Jimmy sat up. He took his own pillow and hit it in Zach’s face.
“PILLOW FIGHT!” Zach shouted and laughed.
“Guys stop it before anyone gets hurt” Billie said and placed himself between the fighting brothers. Zach and Jimmy stopped. They grinned at each other and then they hit their pillows into Billie’s face instead.
“Hey! Since when do you two cooperate?”

After they had change to the usual cloth, the brothers went down to the kitchen where their dad and Aunt Marie where.
“Good morning boys.” Aunt Marie said and smiled to Jimmy, Billie and Zach when they entered the kitchen. All three placed themselfs at the tablet. Zach started to pour some cereals in a bowl and Billie had started to make some sandwiches.
“You couldn’t miss that you three had woken up. It couldn’t be less quiet.” Logan said and looked at his sons with a sombre expression.
“Hey don’t look at us. It was Zach who started.” Jimmy said. Zach grinned. Aunt Marie just laughed.
“This just reminds me so much about when I was little. I was 11 when my little brother John was born, and I was 13 when Sally was born. John was like any other kid but Sally wasn’t. Already in an early age she found ways to really piss me off. Pranks were her specialty, particular to sneak into my room when I was asleep and do something to me. It didn’t help if I locked the door; Sally always knew a way in.”
“And who does that remind us of?” Billie said with an ironic tone in his voice. Jimmy giggled and both of the twins looked at Zach.
“Huh?” Zach said with his mouth full of cereals and milk.
“Zach is a male version of his mother, excepted when he becomes mad then he is like me.” Logan said and smiled. The twins burst out into laugh.
“So that’s why Zach smells like a girl” Jimmy said and grinned.
“HEY! I do not. Why are you always saying that? Please stop it.” Zach said and stared mad at his brothers.
“No why would we?” Jimmy said and grinned along with his twin brother.
“Boys quit it! Finish your breakfast now. We must be at Grandma Alice’s in about 30 minutes from now. She is expecting us.” said Aunt Marie and looked mad at the three brothers. Jimmy, Billie and Zach became silent and looked both shocked and amazed at Marie.
“Whoa, I have started to like this woman, she got guts.” Logan said and laughed.

The whole Howlett family and Aunt Marie arrived at Grandma Alice’s place about 20 minutes later. Aunt Marie got her own key so she locked up the door for them.
“Mother we are here” she shouted when she had stepped into the hall. The hall was small, to the left, next to the door, stood a little chest of drawers, and over it hanged a tiny painting of a goose. Logan was the last one in so he shut the door behind him.
“I’m in the living room” a rasping voice answered them. They all entered the living room, Logan stayed in the door opening. In a brown armchair sat an old lady. Her hair was gray and her face was very much wrinkled, but she looked very friendly.
“Hello mother, I go to the kitchen and start with the turkey, okay?” Marie said to her mother and kissed her on the cheek.
“That’ll be great” Alice said and smiled, Aunt Marie smiled back and then went through, the door to the right, into the kitchen. Grandma Alice looked at Zach and smiled a big smile.
“Look who we got here, isn’t it my little Zachy?” Zach walked up to his grandma and gave her a big hug.
“Aww, it’s so nice to meet you too. I have missed you.” Zach said. He was so happy so see his grandmother again. Alice kissed Zach in his forehead and then let go of him. When she had smiled to Zach oncs again she noticed Jimmy and Billie, who was standing a few meters away.
“And who do we have here?” She said and smiled to them.
“Ehm grandma this is my half brothers Jimmy and Billie.”
“Oh, I see. Come here you two and give your grandma a big hug.” Grandma Alice said and smiled, and then she reached out her arms and hugged the twins when they came up to her. You could tell on the twins’ smile that they like it. After all, they had never had anyone to call their grandmother before. Jimmy and Billie let go of Alice, and they stepped a few steps back, but they where still smiling to her. Zach turned to his grandma again.
“Grandma, this is my dad, Logan.” Zach looked a bit sceptical because he didn’t know how she would react.
“I know.” She said and smiled to Zach.
“It’s very nice to meet you Logan.” Logan didn’t say anything to Alice; he just walked over to her and shook her hand. Logan avoided her glance when he had shaken her hand.
“Zach, can you please show you brothers to the kitchen so you can start with making the cookies? I will be right there; I just need a bit time to get up from the armchair.”
“Okay grandma. Follow me Jim and Bill” The brothers left the living room, and now were Logan and Alice alone. Alice got up from the armchair and walked over so she stood in font of Logan.
“You know Logan. Sally said a lot of beautiful thing about you.” Before Logan had a change to say something Alice had begun to walk away and disappeared into the kitchen. Logan was now alone. It was something with that old lady. She knew something that she wasn’t telling.