Sequel: Second Time Around

Zach, the Son of Wolverine

Pieces Of Truth

A few moths have gone since Zach met his father and two older brothers for the first time. Zach got along really good with dad and his brothers. But of course, he had a few fights with his brothers every now and then, but hey, that's what brothers do. In a way, Zach felt that he had known them in his whole life.
Zach sat in the group room with his dad and brothers. Logan sat in an armchair and Zach sat between his brothers in the couch. They where some of few that stayed at the school over the Easter.
"So, why do you have green hair?" Jimmy asked his little brother and ruffled his green hair.
"I don't know really, but I have had it so long as I can remember" Zach said and fixed his hair.
"He even had is as a baby. A little green toph on the top of his head" Logan said and laughed.
"But how can you know that?” said Zach with a confused expression on his face.
"I did see you when you was just three months old" said Logan
“WHAT?!” Zach stood up from the couch and looked at his dad.
“But you told me that you didn't know of me before, until a few months ago”
Logan looked at his son.
“Yeah, but...”
“But what?!" Zach shouted at his dad. Jimmy and Billie just looked at their little brother. They had never seen him like this before.
“I…” was the only thing Logan could say.
“You lied to me” Zach said with a disappointed, but angry voice.
“But Zach I…” But it was too late. Zach had already run out from the room.

Zach ran into his room and shut the door behind him. He started to walk around in the room.
”WHY?! Why did he lie to me?” Zach yelled frustrated. He overturned a chair that was standing at the wall. The rage boiled inside him but at the same time he felt the sadness and disappointment. How could his dad do like this? Why did he lie to Zach? Zach had lived in a lie his entire life. He didn’t want any more lies. He wanted the truth. Tears started to run down the face. Zach banged his fist into the wall and then leaned his forehead on the wall. He shut his eyes.
“Why?” he said ones more time, quiet to himself.
Zach walked over to his bed. He sat at the edge and took his pillow in his arms.

Zach heard a knock on his door.
“Zach?” it was his dad. Zach didn’t want to answer him.
“Zach?” his dad said again when he opened the door.
“I’m so sorry” Logan said then he had entered the room and shut the door behind him. Zach just looked down at the floor. Logan walked over to Zach and places himself next to Zach.
“Zach. I understand you don’t what to talk to me“
Zach continued to look at the floor. Then suddenly he says without looking up from the floor.
“Why?”
“Why what?” Logan says and looks at his son. Zach finally looks up on his dad. He is wet on his cheeks. “Why didn’t you bring me with you?”
Logan looked a bit sad.
“You were just a baby. I couldn’t bring you with me, and besides, you would have it better at your aunt”
“WOULD HAVE IT BETTER?! Zach yelled.
“I grew up with no parents, no friends and with an aunt that worked day and night. How could that have been possible better?” Zach just looked at his dad. He wanted an answer.
“Your where safe” was the only thing Logan said.
“Safe? Safe from what?” Before Logan could answer him, he and Zach heard a loud sneeze. Logan and Zach looked at the door. They saw one green eye and one blue eye looking through an opening in the door.
“JIMMY! BILLIE!” Logan shouted and the door shut.
“I deal with them later” he mumbled for himself.
“Safe from what?” Zach said once again.
“My enemies. I didn't want anyone of them to hurt you. I didn't want anyone to know about you until you was old enough to come here...if you ever would”
“So it’s cause of your enemies my mum abandoned me? Zach said angry.
“Zach I don’t know why your mum, Sally abandoned you.” Logan said with a sad look.
“You know her name!” Zach said surprised.
“Yes of course I do. I loved your mum.” Zach had never heard anyone talk about his mum. His aunt never wanted to talk about her. Logan saw that Zach calmed down when he heard this, so he decided to tell Zach about something he had never told anyone.
“I was traveling through the town that Sally lived in. I met her on the local pub, the first day. We liked each other from the first moment we met. Sally invited me to stay with her. That was fine with me because I needed a place to sleep. I stayed with her a few days but one morning I just left before she had awake. I’m not any good to say good bye, you know.”
“Did you know she was pregnant when you left?”
“No I didn’t. Not until I retuned a year later.” Logan took a pause then he continued.
“After a year I came back searching for Sally. I felt bad for that I just had left her without saying good bye. When I came to her house I found it abandon. No one had been there for a long time. At that moment I remembered that Sally had told me that she had a sister that lived at the hills. When I came to the hills I saw that it was only one house and in that, like Sally had said, lived her sister in. Sally’s sister told me that Sally had been there about three mouths earlier and left her new born son for her sister to take care of. I saw the baby. He was so small but he had already got hair on his head. It was green.” Zach smiled when he heard this. Green haired baby.

Logan stood up and looked at his son.
“I leave you alone now” He started to walk towards the door. When he was almost by the door Zach looked up and said:
“Thank you”
Logan turned around.
“For what?”
“For telling me” said Zach and smiled.
“No problem at all son” Logan said and smiled back before he left Zach alone.