Sequel: Second Time Around

Zach, the Son of Wolverine

Adamantium II

Logan, Jimmy and Billie started to run towards the lake. The leaves rustled under their shoes while they where running. Logan was still carrying Zach in his arms. Zach shivered when the cold autumn wind hit him. Almost all the trees which they were passing had lost all their leaves.
“We must hurry up. I can hear the soldiers closing up” Logan said to his sons and they started to run faster. The analgesic in Zach’s body had started to cease but he was still not strong enough to run by himself, less defend himself if the soldiers run up to them. Zach didn’t want to think of what could happen if they did, but that was no big problem really... because of the speed they where running and the endurance Logan and the twins had.

At last Logan, Jimmy, Billie and Zach came out from the woods. Zach saw the X-Jet standing on the flat ground, next to the lake. The jet was the way out from this nightmare.
“Boys, hurry up to get inside.” Logan said to the twins when he had opened the door to the jet. Jimmy and Billie run onboard and Logan was close after with Zach.
“We must hurry up; the soldiers can be here at any minute. Billie, take care of Zach while I’m flying the jet.” Logan put down Zach next to Billie. Zach put his arm on Billie’s shoulder; he couldn’t quite yet stand on his feet by himself. Logan went to the cockpit and left the boys alone.
“Zach, you can sit here.” Billie said to Zach while he helped him to the closest seat. Zach put on the seatbelt and Billie sat next to Zach and put his seatbelt on. Jimmy placed himself on the seat behind Zach.
“Zach you are okay?” Billie said, to make sure Zach had put on his seatbelt.
“Yeah, thanks” Zach said and smiled to his brother.
“Dad! We are ready back here!” Jimmy shouted. Soon after they heard how the engine fired up and the door shut. Now they started to lift of from the ground. Higher and higher they rose, Zach looked out of the window. He was hoping that it was the last time he saw this.

Zach started to get sleepy. He couldn’t hold his eyes open, they felt so heavy. Zach welcomed the sleep, he was now safe and among people he trusted. Zach didn’t use to sleep during the days but now when his adrenaline had stopped pumping and the analgesic that was left in his body still working, he couldn’t stop himself from falling asleep.
“Zach, wake up” Jimmy said who had noticed that Zach had closed his eyes. Jimmy was about to poke at Zach when Billie stopped him.
“Jimmy. Let Zach sleep. He has had a long day” What Billie just said was the last thing Zach heard before he fell asleep.

Zach slept during the flight back to the institute. No one tried to wake him up. Zach needed to sleep. Logan, Jimmy and Billie decided that when Zach woke up they wouldn’t ask him about what had happened. Zach had to decided himself if he wanted to talk about it or not. Back at the institute in the underground hangar, the Professor was waiting for them. The Professor wasn’t happy about that Logan had gone with the twins to save Zach without any backup from the X-men crew. Logan had taking Zach’s kidnap very personal and he didn’t want any, except for the twins, to come with him. The jet landed in front to the Professor, he was hoping everything had gone well. The Professor got reliefed when he saw the door to the jet opened and Logan came out with a sleeping unscathed Zach in his arms. The twins came close after their dad and Zach.
“We came just in time, Stryker hadn’t started. But if we had arrived a minute later it would had been too late.” Logan said when he came up to the Professor.
“Well done Logan. You can put Zachary in the observation room. I need to talk to you.”
“Sorry Charles. This kiddo had enough of room like that today. I carry him up to his own room so he can wake up in his own bed.” Logan said and walked away before the Professor had a chance to answer him. When Logan came up to Zach’s room he placed Zach carefully in his bed and then he placed himself on a chair that was at the wall. Logan wasn’t about to leave Zach until he had woke up. To see Zach sleeping remembered Logan about that little sleeping baby Zach he had seen some years ago, laying in a cradle. That baby he didn’t want anything bad to happen, that baby that just had the bad luck to have Logan as his dad.

Zach slept like ten more minutes, when he woke up he didn’t know his dad was in the room. He yawned and rubbed his eyes. When Zach sat up he saw his dad sitting on the chair at the wall.
“Was it all a dream?” Zach asked his dad. All that had happened felt so unreal, the cell with smooth concrete walls, the strange operation and that Stryker person. It felt just like a long bad dream. Logan looked sad and shook his head. Zach looked sad when he got the answer, he had hoped it had just been a bad dream.
“You know Zach…” Logan broke the silence between them. He continued:
“Today I was really scared.”
“You, scared? You are never scared.” Zach said surprised.
“I was that today. I was scared of loosing you. I would have blamed myself if anything bad had happened to you.” Zach got moved of what his dad said, he didn’t know what he could say back. Suddenly Zach’s stomach started to rumble and he realized how hungry he was. Logan smiled when he heard this.
“I hear that someone is hungry.”
“Yeah, I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast, which was like eight hours ago.” Zach said and laughed.
“I can go down to the kitchen and see if I can get you something” Logan said and got up from the chair.
“Yeah that sounds good. And dad can you give Billie back his jacket?” Zach threw Billie’s jacket to his dad, who caught it.
“Okay I will. And Zach?” Logan looked at Zach.
“Yeah?” Zach said and smiled.
“Don’t get kidnapped while I’m gone, okay?”
Zach stated to laugh. “Okay dad. I promis…..”