Sequel: Second Time Around

Zach, the Son of Wolverine

For the first time.

Zach was about ten years old. It was summer. His aunt Marie had one week of. It was 2 o’clock in the afternoon. Zach had finished his dinner and asked his aunt if he could go outside and play. Yes she said, but before he went out she told him that she didn’t want him to climb on the tree in the garden. He could fall down and injury himself badly. Zach rolled his eyes. His aunt was so nagging. She had told him this thousand times before.

Zach came out in the garden. It was not big. The whole garden was just one big lawn with one tree in the middle. Zach walked to the tree; it was an old crooked oak. Zach started to clime the oak even though his aunt had clearly told him not to do so He wanted to show his aunt Marie that he could climb without falling down. Besides, Zach had climbed trees before and he was really good at it. Zach climbed higher and higher. Look here, he could climb. His aunt was wrong. He climbed out on a big old branch. The branch creaked. Zach sat on the branch and looked around. He had never been this high up before. He saw the hills and fields around his aunt’s house. Then suddenly the branch broke and Zach fell down towards the ground under the tree. Aunt Marie was in the kitchen cleaning up after the dinner when she heard a branch broke and then a thud. She didn’t need to think. She all ready knew what had happen. Aunt Marie stopped cleaning and ran outside.

She found Zach lying beneath the oak. He didn’t breath and it was blood on the ground under his back head. Aunt Marie fell down on her knees next to Zach.
“Oh my God! Zach?” she said. Zach didn’t respond. This couldn’t be happening. She had told Zach so many times not to climb the old oak. But still he did. Why didn’t he listen to her?
“Zach! ZACH! Please don’t be dead. This is my entire fault. I should have removed the old rotten tree before anything of this happen.” Aunt Marie started to cry. Zach was dead and it was all her fault. She took Zach’s head in her arms and stated to rock him. Just like when he was a baby and he couldn’t sleep. Aunt Marie could feel the big gash in Zach’s head. Even if Zach wasn’t her son she cared very much about him. After all, he was her little sister’s only son.
“I promised your mum to take care of you. But I failed. How am I going to tell her that her son is dead?” Aunt Marie stopped rocking Zach and instead she pushed him against her chest. All the time tears run down her cheeks.

Zach woke up in a flash. His Aunt held him close. She was crying.
“Aunt Marie. Why are you crying?” Aunt Marie looked at Zach. Zach looked back at her with his clean green eyes.
“Zach” she said happy. She hugged him and stated to cry again but this time it was for happiness. Aunt Marie kissed Zach on the top of his head. There was no word that could describe how Aunt Marie was feeling right now. Then she felt where the big gash on Zach’s head should have been, but it was gone. How was this possible, the gash was there just minutes ago?
“Zach, I must take you to the hospital to make sure that you haven’t got a concussion.”

Aunt Marie and Zach went to the closest hospital. During the ride Zach insisted that he didn’t have any injuries. His aunt said that this was impossible after that fall. At the hospital the doctor said that it was nothing wrong with Zach. That he was as healthy as a kid in his age should be. Aunt Marie told about the big gash in Zach’s head. When the doctor looked, he saw nothing, like it never had been there. Since Zach didn’t have any injuries they went back home. Aunt Marie couldn’t understand this. It was like Zach never had fallen down from the tree. First the gash was there and in the next second it wasn’t. It was like Zach had some type of “super healing”.

It was from that day Aunt Marie knew that Zach wasn’t like any ordinary kid. And Zach? Well he didn’t want to clime that old oak again.