Sequel: Second Time Around

Zach, the Son of Wolverine

Sally's dairy

Zach had received a packet from his aunt. He didn’t really know why she had sent him it. Because it wasn’t Zach’s birthday or it wasn’t even close to Christmas. Zach wondered what it could be. He hoped his aunt had sent him something eatable, like candy or her home made cookies. Zach almost started to drool when he thought about his aunt Marie’s home made chocolate cookies. She knew how much he liked her cookies. Zach decided that it probably would be best if he open it in his room. If it was cookies, he didn’t want to share them with someone else, particular not his brothers.

Zach sat on his bed with his leg crossed with the packet in front of him. The packet was just a simple cardboard box. After a few seconds, he decided to open it, and then Zach looked inside. “Damn no cookies” he joked. In the box there was some type of book. The cover was made of red leather. Zach took up the book. Among with it, it was a hand written letter from his aunt.
“Okay...since when does my aunt send me books? She knows I’m not of a book worm.” Zach mumbled for himself. He tossed and turned the book, it didn’t looked any special to him. Zach started to read the letter from his aunt:

Zachary. This book I have sent to you is your mum’s old dairy. I found it a few days ago when I was looking through some of her stuff. Now you probably wonder why I send you this. Well, if you open the diary you can see that the first entries are dated back about nine month before your birth. I haven’t read it myself. It feels a bit wrong for me to read my sister’s old diary, you know. I hope that you can find something useful about your past, your mum and probably your dad. Zachary, you have become a big boy now and you desire to know the truth.

The letter was sighed “with Love, Aunt Marie.” Zach put down the letter on his bed and started to look at the diary with very surprised eyes.
“My mum’s dairy!?” He couldn’t belive it. Now he had a change to know why his mum left him at his aunt as a baby. Zach opened it. The writing was very easy to read, so this was how his mum’s hand writing looked like. Zach had always wondered, in his eyes it was the most beautiful handwriting he had ever seen. He started to read. The first entry was from the 22nd May 1990.

Dear Dairy.
Yesterday I met this man at the pub. He was very friendly and funny to talk too. His name was Logan and we talked and drank beer for hours. Logan was traveling through the states and had just stopped to get some beer. Man I was so lucky, he stopped at the pub in my town. You know what? I have fallen for Logan. Some women wouldn’t understand why. Logan is not the most handsome man in the world. He is short and has big hairy muscular arms. But I don’t care what people say, I really, really love him and he loves me back. I am so happy. Wanna know a secret? Right now I can hear him snore back in my bedroom. I know, my mum has always told me not to sleep with a man I have just met but the thing is that it feels like I have known Logan my entire life. He is so…. so, how can I explain him? I don’t know how I can explain him.
Oh, now I hear that Logan have woken up, I must start making some breakfast. I hope he like bacon and eggs…


Zach smiled when he had read this. He didn’t know his dad snored. Zach turned the pages until he came to the entry from about a week later. He remembers that his dad had told him that he stayed with Sally for a week. Zach was curious about how his mum had reacted.

The 28th May 1990
Dear Diary.
I can’t belive it! When I woke up this morning Logan was gone. He wasn’t just away to get some beer. NO…. All his stuff was gone, even his motorbike. I am so sad. Where did he go? Why didn he just left without saying good bye? It feels like I’m not going to live a day without him. To crown everything, this morning I also found out I was pregnant. I am pregnant with Logan’s child. I don’t know, should I be happy or sad right now? All these thoughts are spinning around in my head. But one thing I know, I will keep the baby, no matter what….


Aww, his mum had become very sad. But who could blame her? After all Logan had been her big love. If Sally had known why Logan had left her perhaps she wouldn’t have become that sad. Zach would never know. Zach continued to turn the pages forward in the diary. He skipped pages during the nine month his mum had been pregnant, that wasn’t any important right now. Zach wanted to read about the day his mum left him at his aunt. He found the last entry; it was two days after his birth. After that were just blank pages. Sally hadn’t written anything after that.

The 20th February 1991
Dear Diary.
Two days ago I gave birth to a son. I have named him Zach but his full name is Zachary. He has inherited my clean green eyes. This sound a bit funny but I think he has got green hair. During these nine months that I have been pregnant I have been thinking back and forward on what I should do. Should I stay here and hope Logan returnes or should I go out searching for him? Last night, when I was up feeding Zach, I finally decided. I am going out searching for Logan. I still really love him. I think of him everyday.
On my journey I will not bring Zach with me. First, it’s too dangerous for a new born baby. Second, I don’t have a baby chair on my motorbike. Tomorrow I will leave Zach at my big sister Marie, so she can take care of him while I’m gone searching for Logan a.k.a Zach’s father. I know Marie is good with children. She has raised two daughters herself. So it would be perfect for Zach to be there. Anyway I will not be away for so long, just a few days that’s all…..


Zach shut the diary. So that’s why his mum left him at his aunt. She was going to search for his dad. Zach got really moved. His mum left him there because she loved him, not on the contrary. Sally wanted to take care of him. Zach read the last line again “I will not be away for so long, just a few days that all…..” If his mum just had know that those few days would turn into weeks, the weeks into month and the month into years. Zach wondered what had happened to his mum, was she still out there looking for her big love Logan? He would never know.