"Well, We Were Born to Die..."

a dismal beginning...

"Good luck on your hunting trip, " I mumbled to the prince as I handed him his cape. He took it from me without a word, as usual. I sighed as I watched him and the other men leave the castle. Every Sunday afternoon, the prince and his men would go out into the forest which was overrun with wild animals, kill some innocent beast and bring back it's severed head to receive undeserved praise from the servants and townspeople. Secretly, I knew the Prince didn't find any sort of joy in this activity. He did it only because it was expected of him. In fact, he only ever did what was expected of him, and in my opinion, that was his only flaw.

I withdrew to my humble quarters underneath the main floor of the castle. My room was dank and dismal, and incredibly stuffy, with only a small window high on the wall for a bit of light. However, I wasn't in any position to complain, as I did not pay for my stay. My parents had perished when I was a child, and the king graciously allowed me to reside at the castle, for my parents had been servants there.

I sat on my cot and picked up my book. It was Homer's The Odyssey. I had stolen it from the library in the east tower of the castle. No one even noticed. The room wasn't visited very often. I liked to read books to pass the time. Especially the time when the prince was off hunting. It made me sad when I couldn't see the prince. I knew he could never love me the same way I loved him, But for now, just seeing him was enough. While he was away, reading seemed to be the only thing that could console me. Hours died away silently . . .